Celraysoda

Moving with firearms

So just asking for some advice.

I am going to be moving next month to Randolph. I plan on calling the NJSP letting them know I will be transporting them to my new house. This will be my last trip from my apartment and will have quite a few firearms with about 8K rounds of multiple calibers. May seem suspicious if I get stopped for any reason.

I will be sure they are all locked and seperate from ammo, etc...

What else, if anything, should I do?

-Thanks.

Ask Brian Aitken where calling the police got him :icon_e_surprised: . Seriously, why would you do that? You're, presumably, not breaking any laws what good can come of the police knowing your plans? I agree with e80hydro that it would be prudent to take the ammunition totally separate from the firearms.

Good luck with your move.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I wouldn't call the police unless it was an emergency beyond my control. You are not breaking any laws. If your that concerned transport the ammo on a seperate trip from the guns.

I have done this twice. Load up the car in an inconspicuous matter and have at it. Secrecy is your friend. Do you have any LEO friends to take the ride with you? Not that it's necessary but in the unlikely event you get pulled over a coutesy pass is nice.

Remember you are NOT breaking the law. And you have 90 days to change the address on your FID card. If possible unload your car in the garage.

You're a big boy you know what you have to do. Remember stealth!

Don't call the police.

Don't dress like a hoodlum.

Don't stop for coffee. Don't stop to pee.

Don't do anything to give police a reason to stop you. You know, just like you should be behaving every day.

yes, it may seem suspicious if you get stopped so have all your information with you. Calling the police seems suspicious. You don't want to draw attention to yourself.

I can't remember how many times I've read in the news about a drug bust on route 80 near me where they pulled a guy over for speeding or a tailamp out and they find out he's got 100 pounds of weed or something else on board. They could smell it before they got to the vehicle. If he put a $2.00 bulb in or only did 10 mph over the speed limit nobody would have noticed. Dumbshits.

You chose wisely by not alerting the police.

Have some other boxes of stuff with you, it adds credibility.

Have your paperwork.

Bury the guns under other stuff.

Ammo on a separate trip is probably a good idea.

Don't consent to any searches "Officer, I'm moving to Randolph, there's a ton of junk in here, I just want to get this done, you understand? You want to follow me home? You can watch me take the stuff into my house as I unload it."

Celerysoda: Hello, state police?

State Police: Yes, can I help you?

CS: I'm calling to let you know that on March 2, 2011 I will be transporting a large cadre of weapons and ammunition to Randolph, NJ.

SP: Can I get your name, sir? And you make and model of vehicle? And your license plate number? And the color of the vehicle? And the time of day you plan to be on the road?

CS: Ummm. Ummmm.

SP: What types of weapons will you be transporting?

CS: Is there a problem, sir?

SP: No, just routine questions. {SWAT team are alerted at this point}

Or where you envisioning more of a:

State Police: Sir, can we search your trunk? We smell guns.

Celerysoda: ok.

SP: Sir, why do you have enough weapons to supply half of Camden?

CS: I called ahead.

SP: Let me check. Oh, my bad. You did call ahead. Off you go. On your way. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Good luck with the move!

• Like 1

Celerysoda: Hello, state police?

State Police: Yes, can I help you?

CS: I'm calling to let you know that on March 2, 2011 I will be transporting a large cadre of weapons and ammunition to Randolph, NJ.

SP: Can I get your name, sir? And you make and model of vehicle? And your license plate number? And the color of the vehicle? And the time of day you plan to be on the road?

CS: Ummm. Ummmm.

SP: What types of weapons will you be transporting?

CS: Is there a problem, sir?

SP: No, just routine questions. {SWAT team are alerted at this point}

Or where you envisioning more of a:

State Police: Sir, can we search your trunk? We smell guns.

Celerysoda: ok.

SP: Sir, why do you have enough weapons to supply half of Camden?

CS: I called ahead.

SP: Let me check. Oh, my bad. You did call ahead. Off you go. On your way. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Good luck with the move!

HAHAHA!!! I'll take scenario 2!

A LEO will likely view you as transporting your firearms under the "moving" exemption. This exemption is an "affirmative" defense, which means you have to prove that you are moving. You may want to have a copy of your new lease, or closing documents with you to prove that you are moving, in the unlikely event that you do get pulled over and the officer somehow finds out you are transporting firearms. A copy of 2C:39-6 wouldn't hurt either, just in case.

If your that concerned transport the ammo on a seperate trip from the guns.

I can't see what difference this would make. If everything is packed properly in the car what diffrence does it make if you have guns and ammo or make two trips.

• Like 1

Sounds good. I will bring a copy of the closing just in case.

Your right. After Aitken and all the other incidents where people were made examples of, I am certainly paranoid.

I wouldn't use Aiken as an example. I think I remember reading he had moved months prior to his incident. Someone made a statement to the authorities that they had seen those handguns at his new residence well before his arrest.