Sign in to follow this  
hermanmunster

Does Permit to Purchase have to be carried?

No. It is a permit to purchase, not a permit to transport. Keep in mind you do not even need a permit to purchase to own a handgun. For example, if you moved from another state where you legally owned handguns, you can legally own them in NJ w/o a permit to purchase (assuming they are NJ legal), since you did not purchase them here.

There's no requirement to prove legal ownership on demand. If the gun is compliant and you're transporting it legally, that's all you need.

There are circumstances where it would be impossible to prove ownership of a perfectly legal gun (inheritance, out of state purchase), so there isn't any necessity to have proof of legal ownership. If they need to find out , they can just look it up.

Are you required to carry the Permit to Purchase when transporting a pistol between home and a shooting range? I've never seen anything that says you have to, but how else would you prove that you legally own the pistol if you are stopped?

The legal answer is no you don't have to carry it.

The practical answer is that if for some reason a cop sees the gun, it can help to avoid issues. Such as if on the way home from the range, you are in an accident that disables your car and you need to be taken to a hospital. The cop then knows you have legal possession of that firearm. Other than that, I see no reason a cop would see a gun that is being legally transported.

I always make a photo copy of purchase permit for my customers and tell them to keep the copy in their range bag

After looking around here and seeing some of the comments, just last week I made copies of all of mine and keep them in a envelope in my range bag just in case. Never thought of it before but hey it can't hurt to have them.

Harry

everyone should do what they are most comfortable doing.. but I do not like to follow made up feel good procedure, because sometimes it escalates to the point of being expected.. and that creates more of a burden on everyone else.. you are not legally required to produce proof of legal purchase on demand.. so why do that stuff? like I said if it puts your mind at ease then all the more better for you.. but not something that I would personally do..

After looking around here and seeing some of the comments, just last week I made copies of all of mine and keep them in a envelope in my range bag just in case. Never thought of it before but hey it can't hurt to have them.

Harry

After each handgun purchase, I make three copies of the purchase permit, one each into large zip-lock bags. One bag stays in the range bag at all times, two at home, and the originals are locked in a small fire-resistant safe.

None of this is required by law, but I feel better having documentation available in this gun hostile state. It's like an insurance policy.

everyone should do what they are most comfortable doing.. but I do not like to follow made up feel good procedure, because sometimes it escalates to the point of being expected.. and that creates more of a burden on everyone else.. you are not legally required to produce proof of legal purchase on demand.. so why do that stuff? like I said if it puts your mind at ease then all the more better for you.. but not something that I would personally do..

I do agree, why do something that isn't really required. It's not like I get pulled over and announce I have firearms in the vehicle and papers to prove it. However if I was in an accident and was unable to respond all the information would be right there. Also say my vehicle is similar to one that just held up a bank or something like that, I now can show that I am not that person they are looking for and when questions about the firearms I have proof right then and there.

Not saying it a good thing or a bad thing or what anyone would or should do, but over my years I have learned to have as much backup and things on my side to avoid problems. If I can do something to resolve the issue right then and there all the better.

Plus when I travel to the range I have at least 3 or 4 guns with me if not more, plus a min of 5 mags per weapon and my 9mm has 14 15 round mags and the ammo to fill each of them more than 2 times. Yea it's a heavy bag.:icon_e_biggrin:

Harry