Sign in to follow this  
rtquig

Hand gun from out of state

In 1992 while living in Ohio for 4 months I received a new handgun as a birthday present. I have the receipt of sale with the original owners name on it. When we moved back to NJ, I got 2 handgun permits and when I went to register it with the PD. The women at the desk told me that since I lived out of state when I purchased it, I don't have to register it here in NJ. Was she right? If not, what is my recourse? I have no way to get in touch with the person I bought if from as its been 19 years.

In 1992 while living in Ohio for 4 months I received a new handgun as a birthday present. I have the receipt of sale with the original owners name on it. When we moved back to NJ, I got 2 handgun permits and when I went to register it with the PD. The women at the desk told me that since I lived out of state when I purchased it, I don't have to register it here in NJ. Was she right? Yes If not, what is my recourse? n/a I have no way to get in touch with the person I bought if from as its been 19 years.

Registration from another state legal purchase is voluntary. DON"T DO IT.

You know what I hate? Every CSI/Bones/Criminal minds type show will have a scene where they find a gun and 2 minutes later they state "The gun is registered to xxxx at 201 Oak tree lane".

Frickin annoying! Registration is voluntary even in NJ. Granted the pistol permits are a form of registration but lots of guns came from out of state legally without getting transferred via PP.

The bottom line for the OP, your guns are your guns. If they were purchased legally while you were a resident of a different state or active military, there is simply nothing that needs to happen. The guns are completely legal.

Even better is when they say on the news that the person had possession of non-registered guns. Like thats illegal or a bad thing.

It IS illegal in New York state to have an unregistered HANDGUN and possibly in some other states. The media is wrong if they are talking about NJ or PA

Thanks guys. Thats what the lady at the police station advised me, just wanted to make sure. I didn't know if the laws changed since then so I wanted to be safe.

Rich

I'm glad to see you actually got correct information from the PD. There have been many instances where the PD gave out bad info, such as you can only apply for 1 PP per month.

I'm glad to see you actually got correct information from the PD. There have been many instances where the PD gave out bad info, such as you can only apply for 1 PP per month.

I was at my local gun shop last week and a guy who had just moved from PA was there and said he had been told by the PD in his new town that he MUST register the two handguns he legally bought over there. We explained to him that this is absolutely not true and he should use the two permits he had to buy something new and not waste them on registering the guns he had already. I didn't realize until after he left that I think the voluntary register form is a different form than a PP anyway.

My only question and please do not trash me here, he did said "In 1992 while living in Ohio for 4 months" was he a NJ resident at that time, if he was, wasn't it a "crime" to receive a handgun while beenn in Oh?

It's entirely possible to be a resident of two states simultaneously.

There are also different standards for residency from one state to the next including for different reasons, such as for taxes or in state college qualifications. Most states have some sort of clause about planning on it being your home and if you do then after 30 days elapse, you qualify.

My only question and please do not trash me here, he did said "In 1992 while living in Ohio for 4 months" was he a NJ resident at that time, if he was, wasn't it a "crime" to receive a handgun while beenn in Oh?

Lets give him the benefit of the doubt. He IS trying to do the right thing. If the person was someone of questionable character, you think he would bother asking or finding out about the laws here? He'd buy his gun at the corner of blank and blank in Newark or in Paterson and he'd be carrying it around without a permit and without caring about whether what he's doing is legal or not.