This really isn't a problem more if an inconvenience, Not sure if I match up with someone with a similar name or not but every single time I buy something that requires a NICS check, I never get an instant approval, I am always put on the standby list fur further investigation.

Never a problem being it always comes back good, but I usually have to wait for 20 minutes or so, one time it was busy and I had to wait close to 2 hours. Now I like hanging out looking at things, see whats in the cases, talking to the staff and other people in the place that I am at and thats nice and all, but I would rather be doing that and spending that time because I want to, not because I have to. Another thing that happens all the time is you can't spend all that extra time in a shop and not buy a bunch of other stuff, happens every time, go in for gun and spend another 100-200 bucks easy on misc stuff. Great for the shop and me, but it's getting expensive, and no I don't need GA (our version of AA), I know I have a gun problem and I like it. :)

Anyway to the point, I have herd that there is a NICS number I can call to see what the hitch is that causing this and I understand I may be able to get a special number to put on my applications that references this to avoid that added wait. I have looked all over the net and can't find a contact number to address this. Any chance anybody might know who I can call and what the phone number might be?

Harry

You can get a UPIN (unique personal identification number) assigned to you. Supposedly it eliminates your problem. Next time you stop in, I'll give you the forms to fill out and send in.

ETA: Nevermind. I think I threw them out. Nobody was every interested in applying.

i have that issue too...normally it take like an extra 5 minutes...embarassing more than anything. I called the NJSP and asked and was told "welcome to NJ firearms ownership"...

I don't consider it embarrassing, I have now started say before they call, I'll be waiting because there is something that flags me each time for further review and we start talking after the call is made. I try and look at it now as a social wait in addition to additional looking / buying time.

Harry

I never understood the whole mix up issue's people have. I mean we have ss#'s and SBI#'s all of which are unique to one individual. I'd be curious to hear what the problem is.

The problem is:

You're buying a gun and the State doesn't like it.