Sign in to follow this  
CageFighter

J-frame snubbie in a 9mm

One downside to the 940 is cheap brass cases may stick in the cylinder (consensus seems to be that nickle/chrome cases are less likely to stick):

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225200

Also, you'll likely want to keep a good supply of moon clips on hand if you get it. Even a slight bend in the moon clip can end up making the cylinder drag:

...Carrying a loaded full moon clip in your pocket can bend it; I found that placing a loaded clip inside a plastic 35mm film container provides protection for pocket carry. After shooting, it takes a practiced hand to remove spent cases from a full moon clip without it bending. As a personal rule, I will reuse an unbent clip for practice rounds only; I trust only new clips for defense use. After many failed attempts at straightening bent clips, I no longer try. Now if a clip bends I summarily toss it into the recycle bin. Why do some people bother trying to straighten a bent clip? Many consider the Smith & Wesson 640 moon clips somewhat expensive. I found that even a moderately bent clip binds the cylinder, making it hard to close and reopen, and makes trigger pull unusually heavy. ...

looks like Id rather stick with the 640 instead.

940's are high demand pieces and usually command premium dollars. If you found one at a price comparable to a 640 you should grab it (or tell me where it is). Moon clips are tougher than the posts above make out. They are spring steel and don't bend easily. I have three moon clip guns and I love them. You may want to consider a cheap de-mooning tool (look on ebay), or go whole-hog and get a combo tool to load and unload moon clips ($60 - $90). I've shot a 940, and although it had a heavy trigger, it broke so clean that I was shooting 2" groups @ 7 yds with the, admittedly, rudimentry J-frame fixed sights.

Buy it!

Adios,

Pizza Bob