Zell959

Ammo price increases

I didn't see that anyone had posted this yet, but sorry if that's not the case and this is a repeat. Apparently several manufacturers of ammunition have put their distributors on notice that ammunition prices will be increasing anywhere from 5-15% in April-May due to the rising price of necessary metals.

Copies of letters posted at Natchez

The price increase isn't fun, but I think the bigger concern is the chance of another consumer induced buying frenzy that ends up causing more disruption than the price increase.

Doesn't effect me. I learned to reload about 6 years ago. 9mm $5 box of 50/45acp $8 box of 50.

I'm afraid reloaders are not off the hook

Included in the Winchester letter:

• Component Brass & Bullets 10%

• All Primers 10%

Included in the Federal letter:

• Primers 10%

Included in the Hornady letter:

...Hornady will implement a 5% increase on all bullet plant products, ammunition products, and cartridge cases.

Any specifics? Who is out of what?

I shoot 9mm, 45acp, 38spcl & .223/5.56 and things more or less look normal at my usual online sources.

I've been looking for Hornady Critical SD in .45 acp, and all my usual online sources say out of stock...

High end .45acp ammo tends to be perpetually sold out even when overall ammo availability is good.

Interesting.

Just dug out my recent receipts for my purchases of Federal/American Eagle .223 55gr FMJ ammo from Cabela's:

06/05/10: $6.49/box 20

10/19/10: $6.29/box 20

2/12/11: $5.79/box 20

3/2/11: $5.49/box 20

Let's see where it goes from here.

Federal AE223 was 4.99 per box at a Cabela's in Maine over this past weekend. I ended up going to this Cabela's once on Fri and again on Sun. By Sunday, it appeared that the sale had been very successful as previously full shelves were quite empty. Luckily I got some on Fri

I'm afraid reloaders are not off the hook

Included in the Winchester letter:

• Component Brass & Bullets 10%

• All Primers 10%

Included in the Federal letter:

• Primers 10%

Included in the Hornady letter:

...Hornady will implement a 5% increase on all bullet plant products, ammunition products, and cartridge cases.

Sure I am. I use Wolf primers. No Winchester,Federal or Hornady products.

Sure I am. I use Wolf primers. No Winchester,Federal or Hornady products.

Basic economics say otherwise. Wolf doesn't have a secret recipe to make primers out of spit & good will. They need the same raw components as everyone else and suffer the same increased cost of production as the other manufacturers when the components get more expensive. Wolf will have to eventually either A)Follow suit and increase prices or B)Cut their profit margin by absorbing the increased costs without changing their prices. If they go with B, their prices will be significantly lower than the rest of the market, which means demand for them will surge beyond the available supply,resulting in widespread shortages. I.E. you won't be able to get them. And that's only if they can actually stay in business in the long term with approach B.

Reloading is great and I do it myself, but the idea that it means ammunition market trends don't affect you any longer is a myth. Reloading components and completed ammo come from the same place, are made by the same companies and require IDENTICAL raw materials. They're the SAME market. Ask anyone that was trying to get just primers during the height of the post-election ammunition shortages. That wasn't a coincidence.

Reloading is great and I do it myself, but the idea that it means ammunition market trends don't affect you any longer is a myth. Reloading components and completed ammo come from the same place, are made by the same companies and require IDENTICAL raw materials. They're the SAME market. Ask anyone that was trying to get just primers during the height of the post-election ammunition shortages. That wasn't a coincidence.

I've said this once before and I'll say it again. During the height of the so called ammo shortage which was total bull I continued to purchase ammo and ALL reloading componets at all of the PA gun shows. Primers were readily available at those shows and I continued to buy Wolf and Winchester primers. In fact the Wolf primers were going for $119 per 5,000 with no limit on purchase and that was at the height of the non existant shortage. The prices have come down. I just got an order from Powder Valley for Wolf primers for $80 per 1,000. So if Wolf wants to raise their price 10% it's no big deal. So I don't have to ask anyone who was trying to get primers where they got them. So you are wrong with that statement. In the future you might want to do a little more research to find what you need and as I said before it only takes a trip to PA to find everything you said you could not find.