Mr.Shoot_It_All

Browning High Power

Handled one in a store yesterday it felt great in hand as well and working the action it felt tight and well made....it is a browning lol. But suffice to say i really dont know much about the gun. who has em who loves em who hated em let me know it all please

Handled one in a store yesterday it felt great in hand as well and working the action it felt tight and well made....it is a browning lol. But suffice to say i really dont know much about the gun. who has em who loves em who hated em let me know it all please

John Moses Browning design

First accepted high capacity combat pistol

Around since 1935

Adapted by many nations as their military sidearm

Made in various countries throught the world

I carried one for 5 years as a defense weapon

There are more modern weapons available today for defense but they are still a beautiful piece of work.

Great gun. It was Johm Moses Browning's followup to the 1911. Some would say he improved on the 1911 design with the Hi-Power. The only thing that gets me once in a while is the slide bite because of the long hammer tail. It can be easily bobbed so as not to be a problem. Also, they usually need trigger work because the magazine safety (gun doesn't shoot with it removed) causes a longer and stacked trigger pull. A gunsmith can make it all better easily and inexpensively. So could you if you are bold enough. Google "Hi Power magazine disconnect" and there are tutorials.

Look here for all the info you could possibly want on HiPowers (P35s to be exact)

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/

Mr. Camp knows what he speaks of. Plus his stuff is well presented and entertaining. He does not only deals with P35s but all sorts of handguns. This is a great resource. If you get this gun try to pick up his book on Hipowers. It is a great read.

Cool very interesting gun I'm looking to get two guns when the permits come through and I'm fairly set on a 1911 and a glock 17 or 34 I currently reload 9mm so the high power fits the 9mm but I like the glock Grrr I think the solution is more money saving and a nother permit lol

Great gun. It was Johm Moses Browning's followup to the 1911. Some would say he improved on the 1911 design with the Hi-Power. The only thing that gets me once in a while is the slide bite because of the long hammer tail. It can be easily bobbed so as not to be a problem. Also, they usually need trigger work because the magazine safety (gun doesn't shoot with it removed) causes a longer and stacked trigger pull. A gunsmith can make it all better easily and inexpensively. So could you if you are bold enough. Google "Hi Power magazine disconnect" and there are tutorials.

I wanted a HiPower but didn't want the mag safety. My google-fu led me to the Arcus 98. Some consider it a BHP clone but is manufactured without the mag safety. I've had it for a number of years now and love this thing.

Someday I'll get a proper HiPower...(along with a proper Colt 1911, or Glock, or whatever else is on my wish list).

You can't have just one.

Currently have 2 BHPs, one that is from the 70's and a new Mark 3 from 2009. Fantastic guns. There are Belgian, Browning, Fnh, Canadian and others. Mag disconnect can be removed but is it really that big of an issue?

Looking to add an Israeli high power and a Canadian wartime clone. I believe there were Nazi issued BHPs too?

the thing about them for me... is that it is still one of the slimmest, most comfortable 9mm with decent capacity. Joy to shoot too. Yes, you can get a glock or an XD or an M&P that will hold more rounds, but nothing feels as interesting in the hand. Its like a a classic muscle car. Yes, a new piece of plastic may be faster, but they still hold their own. With the years, they get better and better.

I have Browning HiPower (HP) and Sig Sauer Pistols. I will offer a breif and general comparison. Both are service weapons of high quality with a reputation for reliiability. Beyond that, there is little similarity.

Compared to my Sig P226 (9mm) and P220 (4 ACP), the HiPower is more ergonomic - feels better in the hand - especially as respects the fatter double stack P226. It is approximately the same length as the P220 and P226 full sized classic Sigs but is noriceably more slim and narrow. The Sigs are taller by about half an inch and nearly all of this additional height is due to their big, bulky and boxy slide. This makes the Sigs seem top heavy by comparison.

The HP, al all steel pistol, is about the same weight as the alloy frame P226 and P220. The all stainless are much heftier. I prefer an all steel, steel on steel semi-autos. I am not totally comfortable with the newer Sigs which use an alloy frame and a milled stainless slide.

I prefer the grip on the HiPower. My smaller hands easily wrap around the HP grip, especially, if slim grips are installed. I use VZ slims. I can grip the Sigs but they are not nearly as comfortable. The HP grip is a tad smaller than the Sig P239, a mauch smaller single stack pistol.

The HPs are SA wheras the SIGs are DA/SA. I prefer SA.

The triggers on both of my HPs are stock and very acceptable. The mag disconnect safety has been removed on both. My older "T" series has a very nice light and crisp trigger. And my newer MarkIII trigger was pretty decent out of the box now that the mag safety disconnect is gone. The triggers on my HPs are as good as or bettter than my Sigs. Both are fine for me.

The Sigs and HPs are both easy to field strip, service and modify.

The HP is very pretty classic pistol. The Sigas are ugly but it is a "pretty" functional ugly. I like them both.

It is dangerous to go to a gun store and handle a Browning HP. Dangerous because you will be imprssed and want one.

All of the above is just my opinion and about what I like. I am no expert.

You can't have just one.

Currently have 2 BHPs, one that is from the 70's and a new Mark 3 from 2009. Fantastic guns. There are Belgian, Browning, Fnh, Canadian and others. Mag disconnect can be removed but is it really that big of an issue?

Looking to add an Israeli high power and a Canadian wartime clone. I believe there were Nazi issued BHPs too?

the thing about them for me... is that it is still one of the slimmest, most comfortable 9mm with decent capacity. Joy to shoot too. Yes, you can get a glock or an XD or an M&P that will hold more rounds, but nothing feels as interesting in the hand. Its like a a classic muscle car. Yes, a new piece of plastic may be faster, but they still hold their own. With the years, they get better and better.

Agreed

Mag disconnect can be removed but is it really that big of an issue?

I think that depends on the shooter. In the course of my research I learned that with the mag safety in place, you'd have to physically strip the mag out of the well. With it removed, they drop free. From a usage standpoint I greatly prefer my mags to drop free.

Additionally, with the Arcus already manufactured without the mag safety, it can't be argued that I removed one of the safety features on my gun.

I have a BHP with the magazine safety and when you hit the release the mag pops right out and will drop free. It is an older BHP from 1982, so dont know if that has anything to do with it.

+1, however depends on the mags too, some come with the spring on the bottom to make it drop free, others do not.

The one thing I will say about the BHP is to shoot it first. As much as I like it, the BHP is one of the few guns I've shot that consistently "bites" my hand. As the slide comes back after each shot it always nicks the fleshy part of my shooting hand between the thumb and index finger. I'm sure this is a combination of the size of my hands and how I hold the gun and may not be an issue for the OP at all, but may be something to keep in mind.

Now if I only I could afford to get a Novak BHP with the custom beavertail my problems would be solved :)

+1, however depends on the mags too, some come with the spring on the bottom to make it drop free, others do not.

Ok learned something new there. But I can't wrap my head around that "spring on the bottom" part. Does that mean there's a secondary spring in the mag?

Ok learned something new there. But I can't wrap my head around that "spring on the bottom" part. Does that mean there's a secondary spring in the mag?

Yes, its a small spring on the exterior of the mag on I believe the back side of the magazine body, towards the bottom.

If you look closely you'll see the spring attached near the bottom of the back side of the magazine:

xykz.jpg

The one thing I will say about the BHP is to shoot it first. As much as I like it, the BHP is one of the few guns I've shot that consistently "bites" my hand. As the slide comes back after each shot it always nicks the fleshy part of my shooting hand between the thumb and index finger. I'm sure this is a combination of the size of my hands and how I hold the gun and may not be an issue for the OP at all, but may be something to keep in mind.

Now if I only I could afford to get a Novak BHP with the custom beavertail my problems would be solved :)

Hammer bite can mean several things. In one situation the end of the hammer can strike the top of the grip hand if the grip is too high. It is also possible for the hammer to pinch the hand between itself and the pistol hammer tang.

I have small hands and jave minimal problems with hammer bite. Regardless, on my 1968 HP with a ringer hammer and my 1993 with the spur hammer, I do feel the hammer touch my grip hand every once in awhile. This doesn't bother me and the solution would be to change the hammer to the no bite version or to Bob the spur hammer. My third HP is at the smiths for a triggger job and I am using this opportunity to have the hammer changed. I am using this HP - a new one - to experiment with a few changes and then compare the results with the others.

Yes, its a small spring on the exterior of the mag on I believe the back side of the magazine body, towards the bottom.

If you look closely you'll see the spring attached near the bottom of the back side of the magazine:

xykz.jpg

Oh good grief! That must be why the official Browning mags are like a bazillion dollars!