reed338

ruger lcr 357

Lightweight 357 means pain. I have the 38 version and 158g standard pressure has thump. +Ps are doable if only for a few shots. Firing 357 full power defensive loads will be very hard.

Even the S&W 640 and SP101, at 24 and 26 oz respectively, are not fun to shoot with magnums. I prefer all steel guns in J frame size using +P or std 38s. You gain a little with a magnum over a +P in power but controllability goes down the toilet moreso as a SD gun. Not a bad idea if you want to have the magnum option available but I'd carry std 38s in a lightweight gun.

I would get the 38SP version of that gun if I was going to get it. 357 will not be enjoyable to shoot from a lightweight revolver like that and you'll mostly shoot 38's through it anyway. It will take longer to clean because the powder residue from 38's will build up in the 357 supported cylinder.

It will take longer to clean because the powder residue from 38's will build up in the 357 supported cylinder

Not really. I've fired thousands of 38s in 357s and can't say there is any difference in cleaning. I do clean my guns when they are shot though if you let it lay around that might make a difference.

It will take longer to clean because the powder residue from 38's will build up in the 357 supported cylinder

Not really. I've fired thousands of 38s in 357s and can't say there is any difference in cleaning. I do clean my guns when they are shot though if you let it lay around that might make a difference.

We'll then you're cleaning it out. I don't clean my guns everytime I shoot. I'm just mentioning it because the residue will build up in the cylinder. It's just something to think about. The cylinder is much easier to clean on my S&W model 10 38SP than on my GP100 357Mag after shooting 38's. I'm also shooting lead so I'm sure that makes a difference.

We'll then you're cleaning it out. I don't clean my guns everytime I shoot.

That's why its harder for you as I said in my previous post. 90% plus of my revolver shooting is lead. Your bullets may be too large, too small, too soft, or a few other things that may be making it hard for you.

Lightweight 357 means pain. I have the 38 version and 158g standard pressure has thump. +Ps are doable if only for a few shots. Firing 357 full power defensive loads will be very hard.

I shot RayRay's LCR (not 357) and boy is it a nice shooting pistol. I only shot the basic .38s, not +Ps.

I rented an LCR a few weeks ago and put 50 rounds through it. I noticed a couple of things.

I never really understood what a "gritty" trigger was until I shot the LCR. Now I understand. Pulling the trigger felt like I was dragging a piece of chalk across pitted sandpaper.

The recoil was punishing to my hands and I couldn't hit a darn thing with the gun, and this was me firing slowly while relaxed at 5 yards.

Now all that being said, I think the trigger isn't that much of an issue. I have a feeling that the LCR is designed to be deployed in one way: concealed carry. And it's designed to be shot in one way: all 5 rounds at the threat that has suddenly appeared. I don't think you'll care about the trigger when you are just pulling it as fast as possible to counter the presented threat.

If you need a gun for concealed carry - where mere presentation can deescalate a threat, then this may be the gun for you. But if you want something for range shooting or target practice, there are plenty of better guns out there.

I could not resist it followed me home . than I thanked the wife for my bday present from her . :icon_mrgreen: once we got home of corse i needed to test it out . its a bit of a hand full but fun .

Enjoy your new gun.