EngineerJet

Want to get into hunting

So me and my friend want to do some rifle hunting in PA. What are some of the thing I should know/have to do that? I'm completely new to the subject so any help would be appreciated. Things such as, do i need a pa hunting license or nj? Any particular rules/laws i should look into? restrictions, etc.

So me and my friend want to do some rifle hunting in PA. What are some of the thing I should know/have to do that? I'm completely new to the subject so any help would be appreciated. Things such as, do i need a pa hunting license or nj? Any particular rules/laws i should look into? restrictions, etc.

You need a PA license for sure. The thing that I have found most difficult about hunting so far is finding a "hunting spot".

What are you looking to hunt, deer? Your best bet would be to start out in NJ, using a shotgun. There are several Wildlife Management Areas, which is land set aside specifically for hunting. Also, the cost to get involved is a free course, plus a $28 license. Add a $28 shotgun permit for your particular zone, and you can hunt for 2-3 months, maximizing your chances for success. I plan on setting up a "how-to hunt deer in NJ" class this summer, that should provide answers to the questions most newbs ask.

If you want to experience PURE sport, greater chance of success, and the most bang for your buck, consider Bow Hunting deer.

Depending on zone, 1st week of September to into February. It's easy to find a place to practice, you will have to practice and loads of open land to hunt. If you are interested PM me. Once you get hooked you will be a junkie.

The Old One!

If you want to experience PURE sport, greater chance of success, and the most bang for your buck, consider Bow Hunting deer.

Depending on zone, 1st week of September to into February. It's easy to find a place to practice, you will have to practice and loads of open land to hunt. If you are interested PM me. Once you get hooked you will be a junkie.

The Old One!

Frank, I will be getting my first bow this year... and have to get together with ya to show me the finer points of bowhunting. That is one thing I really want to get into, and still haven't.

Frank, I will be getting my first bow this year... and have to get together with ya to show me the finer points of bowhunting. That is one thing I really want to get into, and still haven't.

Same here. Just bought a used PSE Pulsar compound off eBay because I shoot a recurve and it's draw weight isn't rated for hunting. With the used Pulsar, I figure I can learn (and possibly break) stuff before I get more expensive gear.

j0n,

I'd be interested in the deer hunting class too. I've hunted small game all my life, but have never hunted deer and want to get into it. I have a friend that has land in the mountains of central PA that has also agreed to let me hunt on his land too, so I want to try both NJ and PA deer hunting next season.