Sign in to follow this  
M4BGRINGO

Collapsable Stock

Buddy in NY put a Tapco collapsable stock on his Saiga then drilled it where he wanted it, put a screw in it and filled the head with JB Weld. Is this legit? Stock does not move anymore.

Technically, yes it is legal. It is the same principle as threading a barrel, screwing a muzzle brake on and pinning it in place, which is a legally acceptable method of making an otherwise removable part permanent. Same goes for permanently blocked normal-capacity magazines reduced to 15 rounds or less. As long as the offending feature (in this case, "collapsible") is rendered inoperable, it's legal. Whether or not a police officer looking to ruin your day will be convinced of that is another story.

Technically, yes it is legal. It is the same principle as threading a barrel, screwing a muzzle brake on and pinning it in place, which is a legally acceptable method of making an otherwise removable part permanent. Same goes for permanently blocked normal-capacity magazines reduced to 15 rounds or less. As long as the offending feature (in this case, "collapsible") is rendered inoperable, it's legal. Whether or not a police officer looking to ruin your day will be convinced of that is another story.

It is my understanding that a muzzle brake needs to be pinned and either silver soldered or welded. Although I WAS wrong once, back in 89'.

It is my understanding that a muzzle brake needs to be pinned and either silver soldered or welded. Although I WAS wrong once, back in 89'.

You weren't dry behind the ears, yet, back in '89 :icon_mrgreen:

if we are talking about Saigas.. do not put that **** on there.. it will create a horrible cheek weld.. and the stock is a POS in general..

as far as legality which is what you asked.. I suppose it is legal providing the rifle never had an adjustable stock.. in other words modify it while OFF the gun..

back to my initial statement if we are talking about Saigas there is something important to note..

and the following diagram should illustrate why you should even bother putting a pistol grip on it..

the goal should be to balance the rifle and make for a cleaner trigger..

saigafcgexpl.jpg

Wow Adam, you moved that entire trigger assembly 2" forward or so. Now I see why Paul told me you are the man to talk to when I'm ready to modify this thing! I'll leave it as-is for now and talk to you and Paul when I'm ready to rip it apart, thanks for the info!

Heck, maybe I'll schedule a day with you two when you guys are modifying some if you don't mind. I pay ya and buy lunch!

Wow Adam, you moved that entire trigger assembly 2" forward or so. Now I see why Paul told me you are the man to talk to when I'm ready to modify this thing! I'll leave it as-is for now and talk to you and Paul when I'm ready to rip it apart, thanks for the info!

Heck, maybe I'll schedule a day with you two when you guys are modifying some if you don't mind. I pay ya and buy lunch!

no worries just let me know...

it is not a "hard" process.. but a little knowledge goes a long way..

glad I could clearly convey to you why doing the FULL process will net a better gun.. I just drew up the diagram because I thought it would be easier to SEE than to explain.. lol

and my name is Anthony by the way.. lol

Anthony........... Listen, I am really bad with names! Ask my employees how long it takes me to remember who is who......

Thanks for the info. The pictures made it perfectly clear. I will get in touch with you when I am ready to start modifying it. I am more interested in a good shooter, not really after the AK-47 look. A nice balanced rifle with a scope on it. There is no way I'm going to see anything at 100 yards!

Anthony........... Listen, I am really bad with names! Ask my employees how long it takes me to remember who is who......

Thanks for the info. The pictures made it perfectly clear. I will get in touch with you when I am ready to start modifying it. I am more interested in a good shooter, not really after the AK-47 look. A nice balanced rifle with a scope on it. There is no way I'm going to see anything at 100 yards!

I am putting together a 5.45x39 for my fiance and I think I am going to put a Russian side mount scope on it..

the other thing is you do not have to convert the whole rifle.. you can just do the back end of it... so you get a nice stock and grip... but don't have to buy the extra stuff to complete the look...

if you change anything.. you just have to be federal and state compliant..

The conversions from standard stocks to pistol grips as vladtepes pointed out are outstanding.

[disclaimer]Just for the record, I do not personally or as A-n-A business, modify any firearms that would constitute manufacturing a firearm. It is completely legal for a nonlicensee to do conversions. What I do regarding making firearms AW Ban Compliant is legal per a letter I hold from ATF. [/disclaimer]

• Like 1

when you are ready... you do something like this..

it gets you the cleaner trigger... more ergonomic rifle.. but you are not spending money on anything "looks" wise...

you can get an inexpensive side mount and put whatever scope you want on it..

this would net you a setup exactly like you are talking about.. and this conversion only consists of about 4 parts.. lol

saigabuildfriendedit.jpg

My thoughts too- just a good balanced shooter. What are the "about 4 parts" on the above pic that is the conversion? Guessing all TCG, and whats the complient count after the 4 part conversion?

starts with 14 countable parts...

add pistol grip which brings it to 15 countable parts..

and this is the breakdown of US parts in that specific gun..

Tapco fire control group - 3 US parts

Tapco pistol grip - 1 US part

Tapco stock - 1 US part

Surefire US magazine - 3 US parts

so even before the magazines the gun is technically compliant...

... I am more interested in a good shooter, not really after the AK-47 look....

Surely I'de hope not, since you would have to replace the entire gun with a milled gun :sarcastichand: (and vlad can tell you how much he loves those!)

Ah, semantics. I'm such a jerk :D lol

BTW that tapco grip/stock combo is the fugliest thing I have EVER seen!

looks like a nice clean gun to me. What about the safety lever, does that count toward the complience parts if it were to be changed or is it neutral like the grip?

safety lever is not a countable part...

it is kind of a moot point because the fire control group (trigger) alone counts for 3... so to get over the hump is really not a lot of work.. the simplest recipe for the most BASIC BASIC conversion is going to be those 4 parts discussed above you can literally get by with JUST paying for 3 parts to get compliant.... fire control group.. pistol grip.. stock.. as long as you do NOT add additional parts (like a foreign muzzle brake) you should be good to go.. the magic number is 10 or less foreign parts...

if you are not someone who is into these guns, and doesnt really care about looks.. you can get a conversion done really cheaply.. the higher cost normally comes in when you start to get more into mimicking an actual original AK (gas tube, furniture, lower handguard retainer, etc..)