Matt

Laws regarding drinking in public in NJ

I was hanging out down on the walkways and parks by the Hudson River in the nice weather when my girlfriend suggested she would like to bring a bottle of wine or some kind of alcoholic beverage down with us next time in the evening on a warm night and it got me thinking... I guess technically any open container in public is illegal but do cops really care about this if its just a couple of people not causing trouble? Any way around the law? Just curious about peoples experiences in NJ and I hear about people drinking in central park all the time without being hassled.

Depends on the cop. I find a lot of cops all over don't really sweat the small stuff. It is a gamble on your part though as you could get the one that is a dick. I would just pour it into a thermos or something to make it not as obvious and carry on personally. If they have no reason to stop and talk to you in the first place then there won't be a problem.

• Like 1

There are few places left where one can enjoy an adult beverage outside with out it being a problem. I also believe that middlesex county has the only park system in the state where you can apply for a beer and wine permit to consume legally. No where in NYC are you allowed to possess or consume an open container in an public area. I know it sux but that is the way it is... If you do it you are taking the chance of getting a summons...Good luck, hope that this helped.

You are?

Why do you think there's a liqour store in Penn Station, Newark?

The only beach in NJ you can legally drink on is Sandy Hook as its Federal. Haven't been there for some time but the concession stand sold beer.

I also believe that middlesex county has the only park system in the state where you can apply for a beer and wine permit to consume legally.

You can get a permit for beer at Berkeley Island Park. Don't know about other Ocean County parks.

There are few places left where one can enjoy an adult beverage outside with out it being a problem. I also believe that middlesex county has the only park system in the state where you can apply for a beer and wine permit to consume legally. No where in NYC are you allowed to possess or consume an open container in an public area. I know it sux but that is the way it is... If you do it you are taking the chance of getting a summons...Good luck, hope that this helped.

I know my wife's company had a function at a Morris county park about 10 years ago and they were able to get a permit for a few kegs of beer, do know if it's still possible.