AnthonyG

Testing out Body Armor

Just a thought that you may have already considered. Even if the prototype stops the bullet beautifully, you might want to expand your proof of concept testing to make sure the desirable properties are not significantly diminished by environmental factors a vest user may encounter. Examples: Ambient temps as high as 120F, prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, high humitity, saltwater, freshwater, etc.

I realize the exhaustive testing would not be done at this stage, but maybe just leave a patch on your roof for a week, then put it in the oven on low, then soak it in water for a while and then go shoot it to see if it still stops the .44mag?

• Like 1

Just a thought that you may have already considered. Even if the prototype stops the bullet beautifully, you might want to expand your proof of concept testing to make sure the desirable properties are not significantly diminished by environmental factors a vest user may encounter. Examples: Ambient temps as high as 120F, prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, high humitity, saltwater, freshwater, etc.

I realize the exhaustive testing would not be done at this stage, but maybe just leave a patch on your roof for a week, then put it in the oven on low, then soak it in water for a while and then go shoot it to see if it still stops the .44mag?

I agree and have thought about it, after this ballistic test another test sample will be getting an environmental stress test to see if elements weaken the structure of the materials.

Way to go dude, hope it works out. I agree with the changing climate and weather thing too. Gotta run it through a gauntlet before I'd put my life on the line with it.

Keep us posted bro, good luck!

UPDATE:

So finally after some time I was able to work with one of the fellow forum members and they had the right gun and proper bullets for the 1st test phase. The test piece took over 9 rounds of .357 magnum JSP with no penetration and from what I gather minimal damage to its structural integrity, I am glad to report. I will be planning toward phase 2 which will consist of either a new piece or this piece being shot with .308. If the new piece or this one survives the .308 test it would be a rough classification of level III Hard Armor which is second from the top. Theres alot more to do and obviously nothing is certain right now, I am just glad that all the work is paying off and there is alot of potential in this.I wanna thank everyone thats either helped offered to or just been a supporter of what I am trying to do here. Here is a picture of the results.

6078476197_42a9f96944.jpg

Looks good - stopped the boolits...... You do have to wonder how much kinetic energy was transferred through though. That'll still kill ya!

I agree, this is just the plate a carrier will either be in the works on the final stages or I will make it to fit in some standard ones that people get.

Let me shoot it with my S&W 500, 350 grain JHP at 1900 FPS :icon_twisted:

Haha I may be able to arrange something on a new test piece later on

Right on dude, time for a test dummy! Where's Radek!

Haha

You'd think with the quality marksmen on this site you could find someone that might actually hit the damn thing in the right spot...

Matt6669 shot it, that esplains it

Alright boys and girls its been a few months... *cough cough 6 months * since an update but I got back the first "run" we will call it and I have taken it apart found the boolits and surveyed the damage. Worked better then anticipated and surprisingly the .357 only went through the first level. There was one stray shot that hit out of the target zone and was a area I considered not protected and managed to still catch the bullet.

The biggest downside to this whole test piece is weight and thickness, it was close to 6 lbs and was half the size of a standard plate, this design in full size would be almost 12 lbs I want to be under 10. The thickness was close to 2 inches which is unacceptable even in military use in my eyes, I want a plate thickness of no more then 1 inch.

Being it was over engineered and the additional sections were not even damaged leaves room to make this design smaller and lighter. However I had come up with a different concept shortly after this one was tested, the new design fits my criteria and being cheaper to produce I think being better overall.

I did not want to completely build the second "run" until I got back the first one for confirmation of concept. I now have that confirmed and will be working and finishing the second design this week. Here are the photo's of the taking apart process.

6926354839_ea336e8c78_z.jpg

This is the front you can see about 8 hole on the right side in about a 3 inch group.

6780237460_36d209fb2e_z.jpg

This is the back I cut open the back a little to remove the shattered parts,the damage was minimal penetration and was stopped by the second layer.

6926354737_fe4591f306_z.jpg

Here is the second layer it was cracked but no penetration this layer is hybrid it has pieces that flex and pieces that crack giving it an ability to "catch".

6780237156_1937562f4f_z.jpg

This is the final section I put Kevlar as a fail safe in case bullets penetrated through the other layers, the kevlar has a composite backing to control potential trauma to persons body if something was to reach it.

Kevlar is extremely hard to stitch and costs a alot of money for the proper machine to do it so I went with tape to hold the fabric together.

6780236962_c8cff60136_z.jpg

All the bullets I was able to retrieve from the right section,

I will make a new update when second plate is complete I am toying with a variation of the second design after seeing this so I dont know if I want to stick to the schedule or take a chance on the thought. Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

Very interesting. The solid cracked material I'm guessing is your secret sauce?

I also wa interested in body armor and was brainstorming some ideas around shear thickening fluids. Seems the military is full bore on the R&D on it, but sometimes it takes a different angle or something someone has never thought of before to have a breakthrough. I wish you luck on your venture, looks like you are on the right track!

Cool, was wondering how this was going, especially after the other thread earlier this week.

What other thread are you referring to? I havent been on much to keep up with all the threads going on lol

Very interesting. The solid cracked material I'm guessing is your secret sauce?

I also wa interested in body armor and was brainstorming some ideas around shear thickening fluids. Seems the military is full bore on the R&D on it, but sometimes it takes a different angle or something someone has never thought of before to have a breakthrough. I wish you luck on your venture, looks like you are on the right track!

I can sort of reveal what I used because my design has changed and will yield better results I feel. The material was a special type of porcelain, as crazy as it sounds with how brittle it is, its ability to stop energy by dissipation it is huge, all of those little pieces although broken up they were forced to absorb more energy because they had no where to go. My second version will still be based on the theory of the first armor however the materials will also eat the material as it moves through the armor.

I have thought about that quite a bit and sometimes wonder if I am working backwards since it seems liquid armors are the future. However I have only seen them able to bond it to kevlar to make it stronger. With the thickening fluid bonded to the kevlar 4 sheets will do the same stopping power of 14 sheets.

I just try to focus on doing whatever I have to, to make something that works, does its job well and will be cheap enough so there is no excuse to not let people be protected. Dragon skin is a prime example,dragon skin because of the materials used and limited production of those materials came close to 7k per soldier and that price tag was evidently higher then the value of a soldiers life in governments eyes. They botched the tests to give the public a reason to right off the amazing armor, its sad but thats the truth although it will never be admitted. I really just want to change that I dont even really care about making money.

Update time.

So last Wednesday I got to go to the range with my brother to first test out the taurus raging judge I just got, but also test out what I refer as the "phase two" armor.

The results were both good and bad, my testing distance was about 15 feet which is where most testing is done for armor. I went over board and decided to test the most powerful round first which I shouldn't I should have worked up to it.

I shot it with the .454 casull 260 gr. about 1900fps and it went clean through which I had a feeling it might, if it stopped it R&D would be done since I would have a winner right there.That wasnt the case, so I said to myself well how weak is this really, so I went ahead and grabbed the .45 long colt.

The .45 long colt was 5 gr. lighter coming in at 255gr. and it comes in just under 1000 fps, keep in mind the test section is already compromised partially because the materials cracked to "try" to absorb the pressures of the .454.

So I shoot the test area at the 15 foot mark, the round bounces off denting the outer layer and partially bowing the piece but bounced completely off.This was complete stupidity on my part not even thinking of it potentially bouncing off, it could have easily with that level of force bounced and really hurt and or killed me or my brother. I have the footage of the test I haven't even had time to look at yet but will review it and see about posting it. The .45lc round is considered on same if not more powerful then the .44 magnum so that's where the test I considered went good, it confirmed an NIJ rating for me.

I already have phase three materials on order and should have a mock up of that in week or so hopefully, depending on free time. Phase three goes back to basics but combines bits and pieces from all tests, but this should get me where I need to be on the project.

My focus market has changed a bit however I think I will be backing away from military aspect and aiming toward preppers and those that want to be ready for when SHTF. I will still market to military and try to help as much as I can in that field but it wont be my only focus,the prepper market is ever growing and I want to give people like this the highest level of protection for them and their families as cheaply as possible and give them something that doesn't deteriorate and will be ready whether they need it day one or 10 years down the road.

Thanks for reading guys, I appreciate the support and when I have more to update ill make a post.