Sign in to follow this  
Vlad G

Zombie preparedness

Ha, it really is quite fascinating how zombies have gone from a cult-like following to a pop culture reference in really the last decade or so. I wrote a paper for a class on the topic of how something as fictitious as zombies has served a purpose as a pop culture reference to now push for emergency preparedness, something that has really been neglected until recently. Zombies have also pushed for a lot of charity work as well, oft relating to things like the Red Cross or educating people on preparedness. And what is fascinating isn't just the fact that it has spawned charity work, but what is a bit surprising is the people who are doing the charity work. These are people who might have been fringe members of society, or younger age groups who don't necessarily partake in charity work (unless its for some kind of end-benefit, like applying for schools or an internship).

So, to see something like this on a CDC-affiliated blog (and the graphic included that says to consider emergency preparedness) really shows the mainstream effect of zombies.

On a somewhat related note, if anybody listens to internet radio, depending on the broadcasting group, they'll play certain radio ads. I have noticed a lot of radio ads from the CDC and DHS discussing how people should consider emergency preparedness, as well as discussing to be weary of possible outbreaks of disease (like the serious flu-types). I find it interesting and a bit worrisome (in the curious sense).

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that the CDC was in the final episode of "The Walking Dead" series. I guess they were thinking, hey people might come here in case something like that happens! We better put something out to make us look, up to date?

My wife and I worked as contractors at the CDC when we lived in Atlanta. She was there about 10 years and made some great friends there. She still keeps in touch with them. She sent a few folks a WTF message yesterday regarding this and everyone is stating this is tonque in cheek.... anything to get attention to people taking responsibility for themselves.

One thing is that at FEMA there are numersou reports that more survivors were prepared for the tornadoes in the SE because of "zombie preparedeness" then any serious hurricane, flood, tornado etc PSAs that have been put out. This is a good thing for everyone.

Sign in to follow this