MarkWVU02

Bravo Company

Bravo Company Manufacturing (BCM) puts out high quality items at affordable prices, and I would recommend them over, and over, and over.

Regarding the specifics, I would suggest considering a mid-length system, like any of these. Mid lengths tend to shoot softer, and, apparently, cause less wear and tear on the internals (I personally can't confirm the wear-and-tear comment as this is what I've only heard from the community. As for middies shooting softer, definitely).

Just keep in mind that with BCM uppers, for the most part, they do not come with a bolt carrier group/bolt or charging handle (there are some models that do). So, you'll have to factor in the additional cost of these parts-- which, again, BCM does also make high quality BCG/bolts, as well as is behind the Gunfighter charging handle (great piece of kit).

Long story short, you can't go wrong with a BCM.

I factored in the CH and BCG cost...my idea is to do things right with quality components instead of regretting cutting corners...I really plan on just taking my time and buying things as I can afford them...I've read different opinions on the midlength vs. carbine debate...I really don't know which way to go...for what I'm using it for it's probably not an issue when it comes to wear and tear and compared to my mossy 590A1 I don't think softer feel is really an issue haha

+1 on all previous posters.

I have a BCM 14.5"+welded comp upper with a DD Lite 12" rail, best AR upper I've owned.

• Go with a midlength gas system. No reason to go with a carbine length gas system anymore.
  • Reconsider going with a rail system instead of the fixed A2 front site block. Definitely more $$$, but if you want to do a slow build, you can save. It would give you more options, but ultimately its personal preference.
  • Yes, once you find a BCM upper you like, you should pull the trigger on the purchase as they sell out quickly, esp on the middy rail system options

One other thing, If you are building a premium AR, take a look at Geissele triggers. Night and day difference over a standard build-kit trigger systems.

Just a warning, I've tried in the past to do a "slow" AR build. In the end "slow" translated into 2 weeks. ;)

Ha, I didn't notice that it was my 3000th post-- only fitting it would be in the AR forum :icon_e_wink:

Like Vlad said, middies are just that much better. The whole shooting soft thing isn't so much for the possibly thin-skinned (literally). What it does translate to is less flip, and easier to stay on target for follow up shots, albeit there are other things at play here (like what buffer you put in, what ammo you're shooting, what muzzle device, etc). I don't know what your intended use is, but unless you're ONLY bench shooting, its always nice to be able to have smoother follow up shots (and nice to not bruise yourself too I suppose!)

To me it is, for the midlength gas system. To you, you have to decide. Honestly I don't think the cold forged barrel matters that much and they do make 16" mid length in button rifled mode as well which is like $70 cheaper for the barrel, but Im not sure if the currently have an upper with it. There is NOTHING wrong with the one you first selected except a barrel profile and gas length designed around requirements you don't have (ie fit grenade launchers and other such equipment).

BTW in practice, with 2 decent shooters, and 2 nearly identical rifles, and same ammo, me and raz-0 could not tell apart the accuracy of a standard BCM barrel vs a hammer forged barrel.

• Like 1

Either way, you are going to have 16" of "barrel" to swing around, so you are not getting a smaller package with the 14.5" barrel. However, with a 16" barrel, you do gain a small amount of velocity over the 14.5". Recoil on .223/5.56 is light enough that the small gain in velocity is worth the lack of a compensator to some people. Like Vlad said, there really is no wrong answer as it's personal preference. Personally, if I have to swing around 16" of barrel, I'd rather go with a full 16" of barrel. Another thing to consider is you might save some dough by not having to pay them to permanently attach the compensator.

what would be the advantage of the extra 1.5" barrel? kind of new to this so just trying to learn

More velocity, which is key with this round. Also, there is a lot of voodoo involved with getting a 14.5" middy to eat a variety of different ammo. 14.5" middies react better with some buffers than with others, and in certain configurations they can exhibit repeated failures depending on the weight of the buffer. Weaker ammo can play havok with 14.5" middies.

More velocity, which is key with this round. Also, there is a lot of voodoo involved with getting a 14.5" middy to eat a variety of different ammo. 14.5" middies react better with some buffers than with others, and in certain configurations they can exhibit repeated failures depending on the weight of the buffer. Weaker ammo can play havok with 14.5" middies.

So far my BCM 14.5" middy with a perm attached PWS comp has eaten plenty of Silver Bear, Golden Bear, and LCM855. No problems reported as of yet. Have an average of 200 of each down the pipe so far. Using a PSA carbine buffer.

You're not getting any meaningful increase in velocity with that extra 1.5"...

Likely not. He may have also been referring to what is sometimes another concern with mid-length gas systems in shorter barrels. Carbine length gas systems in 16" barrels are often thought to be over gased, hence the growing popularity in mid-lengths. I believe there is some concern that a mid-length gas system in a short enough barrel, when firing lower pressure loads and using a heavier buffer, can swing a bit too far the other way and result in an under-gased cycling(short-stroke). That said, I don't think 14.5" is likely to be short enough to actualy see this effect, IMO. Perhaps if you really go overboard with the buffer weight and are using particularly light ammo.

Likely not. He may have also been referring to what is sometimes another concern with mid-length gas systems in shorter barrels. Carbine length gas systems in 16" barrels are often thought to be over gased, hence the growing popularity in mid-lengths. I believe there is some concern that a mid-length gas system in a short enough barrel, when firing lower pressure loads and using a heavier buffer, can swing a bit too far the other way and result in an under-gased cycling(short-stroke). That said, I don't think 14.5" is likely to be short enough to actualy see this effect, IMO. Perhaps if you really go overboard with the buffer weight and are using particularly light ammo.

This only happens when shooting VERY cheap ammo with extreme variances in pressure (aka Poor QC). If you shoot commercial or milspec, you will be fine.

Yes, you will. You'll get slightly more ABSOLUTE velocity, and the longer barrel will help the round CARRY THAT VELOCITY further. Fragmentation is important, remember.

Distance to 2700 fps (min vel for fragmentation)

M193 (Winchester white box Q3131A, by IMI)

20" Barrel 190-200m

16" Barrel 140-150m

14.5"Barrel 95-100m

11" BArrel 40-45m

M855 (SS109/green tip/current military ammo)

20" Barrel 140-150m

16" Barrel 90-95m

14.5"Barrel 45-50m

11" Barrel 12-15m

Yes, run anything heavier than an H buffer and you're asking for a short stroke with crap ammo.