aijai

red dot sights

You guys that are Optics Gurus correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Valdada a well respected European brand in optics? If that's the case, Midway has a deal on a Valdada IOR Edge red dot sight. It's 1x with a 3x magnifier included. It's illustrated with the mounts, but it doesn't specify that they are included, so I'd guess not. It is a 5 MOA dot (although on the price line it says 4 MOA) with a rheostat on which the lowest setting is NV compatible. Battery life is said to be 1200 hours on the lowest setting. The best part - if this is indeed a premium optic - is the price: $279 which includes the magnifier. Seems like a deal to me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You guys that are Optics Gurus correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Valdada a well respected European brand in optics? If that's the case, Midway has a deal on a Valdada IOR Edge red dot sight. It's 1x with a 3x magnifier included. It's illustrated with the mounts, but it doesn't specify that they are included, so I'd guess not. It is a 5 MOA dot (although on the price line it says 4 MOA) with a rheostat on which the lowest setting is NV compatible. Battery life is said to be 1200 hours on the lowest setting. The best part - if this is indeed a premium optic - is the price: $279 which includes the magnifier. Seems like a deal to me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Looks pretty interesting, except it's on backorder. Any reviews on this?

It looks like it isnt a real IOR product, on their own page they say imported from Hong Kong, unlike their "real" scopes made in Europe. That doesn't mean is sucks, as I said the chinese have been making some decent red dots lately.

If it was made in Europe, I'd think about it. No offense, but I'll pass on Chinese optics.

If it was made in Europe, I'd think about it. No offense, but I'll pass on Chinese optics.

I find it hilarious that when IOR first showed up everyone was "Bleach .. Romanian optics, damn easter block commies can't build ****, I'll buy American or Japanese". Later it was "What do you mean IOR has been cutting the glass for Zeiss forever?"

My experiance on my Saiga/AK variants..

Bushnell TRS25 4 MOA Dot

Primary Arms M3 3 MOA Dot

Bushnell 28mm tube 73-0131 6MOA dot

Bushnell 73-0134 with 4 different reticles.

All worked great on my 762x39 Saiga.. if I didn't like I was able to recoup 80%+ of the money spent to upgrade later..

just ordered the Bushnell 1x32 P model with T dot.. $136.. (3 MOA dot with T hair) for my incoming DPMS 5.56 carbine..

Absolutely absolutely completely love my two new Aimpoint Micro R-1's. Best thing i've bought for my firearms. They sold me on Aimpoints, if I had to go to war/ was entering sustained combat and got to pick some equipment for my rifle, I'd use an Aimpoint (probably a bigger sight than the Micro if it was a fulltime combat carbine/rifle. )

Now I have tried on EOTechs, and they have amazing reticles. That is such a great sight, really awesome , I would love to add on to my arsenal (A Bushmaster ACR with an EOTech makes me really want one, just not having the spare $2500).

Both my NcStar's I bought did their job, and then broke. I didnt know bullstuff about bullstuff when I bought them, I put them on, they worked, they were damn tacticool, but basic range use broke them. $60 and $100 out the window. And then I read about quality optics, tried out quality and high quality, and it's all I'll use now. The Nikon ProStaff's on my .22LR rifles is the cheapest optic I use now , and borderline, some qualify those ProStaff as top shelf depending on who you're talking to, and when you're talking to me, I put two $160-$200 scopes on two $160-$200 .22LR rifles, excellent decision and they work awesome , but I learned.

The only problem with optics I have now is two-fold. I really want something from the top-of-the-line like Trijicon. All their stuff is amazing but so expensive! I just cannot see how I could ever save say $1500 for a 4x32 ACOG /w BAC, and $600 for an RMR to put on top. Oh and I need the rifle to put it on top, lets go with $1200 for a Colt and $300 for Magpul furniture. $1500+2100 = f'in impossible.

If you can't find ACOGs for cheaper then 1500, you're not looking in the right places, haha. Also, and this is my personal preference, I don't like the idea of piggybacking a reflex on top of an ACOG. I have run ACOGs before, and though I didn't run the piggyback option, I did try using the built-in irons, and I can't say I'm a fan. Though, if you're engaging a target that close anyway, the built-in irons work just fine. Shane has pointed this out before, but to utilize those sights that sit on top of the rifle means you're changing your cheek weld, which means the stance/position is out of whack, which goes against the basic principles of shooting-- and will increase the likelihood of missing (even at a short range).

With that said, ACOGs are a great option, and I would love to run one if I ever had the chance. Truth is though I don't need to park my rifle in a fixed-power situation (and if I did, the highest I would go is probably 3X), and its the reason why I prefer a variable power.

As for costs, I hear you on that. At the same time though, when it comes to optics (like most things in life) you get what you paid for. There are minor details and variables that play a factor that could save a person a couple hundred bucks (like getting an H1 vs. T1, or being fine with the lower end of variable power scopes [like Millets or I'd even say Vortex] compared to short dots and certain Leupolds). There are great deals out there for the money though.

Personally, if I hear a person complain about their optics, I don't give them much thought. A person who spends a couple ten bills and then complains that it doesn't hold zero or gets knocked off the gun obviously didn't put much thought into what they were doing. At the same time, I don't think a person has to spend more on their optics then they did on the actual gun for it to be considered quality. And I definitely am not a fanboy of brands. If NCStar made something awesome, I would be all over it (a better example would be SWFA's glass which is universally decent, and cheap; or Primary Arms red dots). Not saying any of this towards you, Scrap, ha, no, just generalized comments.

Its cool , I don't really care what other people think of me lolol :) just kidding. But in honesty, see, I don't want a 3x max ACOG, i think we are comparing apples to oranges and different models etc.

Personally I would not at all be happy with a $1000 lower end ACOG, I'd be very upset I didn't have the $1500 more advanced/etc. model. Same thing with new/used, I rarely buy a used, it just wouldn't do it for me (Exceptions for sure.) Whereas I remember I had a kid working for me in the booze business, he bought EVERYTHING he could used or "with some miles on it" as he would say, because in his mind there was a value perhaps a large value, sometimes not as large but a value nonetheless, in a used thing . Obviously used where things can be used, he never skimped on lunch orders etc. but if it could be a used deal, he did it that way. I know a few people like that.

Now also let me say, if I could only have that $1000 ACOG, I might be more inclined to buy a top shelf $600 EOTech/Aimpoint sight and keep the cash, and have the best of my general area. Or maybe a few hundred dollar telescopic sight with an Aimpoint Micro on top, that would be very nice too.

ESPECIALLY, I think what I will actually do, is buy a Trijicon AccuPoint scope, 3-9x40 or 2-10x56, and put a Primary Arms MicroDot on top of that. MicroDot is 4.5 oz, and universally accepted and praised, some say about as good as the Aimpoint except for battery life. Then you have a great great setup. And around Christmastime, there was various models of AccuPoint ALL OVER the net for $525-$550. I was saving for one, was gonna get one, then the R-1 sale hit and I bought two R-1's because it was an incredible deal.

Just a little input on IOR. No experience on their red dots but on their scopes....the glass that they get from Schott is very good. But I am not a fan of the internals or build quality. I dont care for brands that you have to intimately know which versions were crap and which ones were ok.....