Sign in to follow this  
Jon

.22WMR Ammo comparison w/ Marlin 925 rifle

The last time I took my .22mag out to the 100yd range to see how well it could shoot the cheapo fiocchi ammo that I had, resulted in more of a "pattern" than a "group". I decided I needed to get some new ammo, and find out if the rifle was crap, or if it was just the ammo. The Marlin 925 is all stock, with a bipod, and Bushnell Rimfire scope package. I started off with a clean gun, and fired 5 rounds of each brand of ammo. After each 5-shot group, I let the barrel cool for 5min, and ran a boresnake through it. Here are the results:

Fiocchi 40gr JHP:

IMG_20110602_113602.jpg

Remington 40gr JHP:

IMG_20110602_113624.jpg

CCI HP-V 30gr JHP:

IMG_20110602_113657.jpg

Hornady V-Max 30gr polymer tip:

IMG_20110602_113642.jpg

The Hornady ammo shot very, very well, and would have been a 5/8" group if I hadn't shanked the one shot.

IMG_20110602_145525.jpg

IMG_20110602_145542.jpg

A second group of the Hornady, measuring 1".

IMG_20110602_145635.jpg

P7010417.jpg

All in all, I feel the rifle/ammo combo is capable of sub-moa, which is pretty impressive for such a cheap gun. :icon_mrgreen:

Very nice. Recalling your post as inspiration, I recently picked up 7 different ammo's for my Savage 22mag to try a similar test. I shot each at 25 then 50 to see how the groups would open up. 25 was hard to tell apart the premium ammo's but at 50 they started to show thier qualities. I tried host of 40gr and 30gr loads and categorically, the 30gr loads were all much tighter (and naturally faster--i chrono'd them all at the same time). I had nice groups with the hornady 30gr VMax, cci 30 gr and also the Federal TNT 30gr loads with the Federal and Hornady producing the tightest groups consistently. Honorable mention went to Winchester Supreme 34gr for a budget load since it shot one rather tight group but it just wasn't consistent enough. I've got pics of the targets/groups if you're interested.

Very nice. Recalling your post as inspiration, I recently picked up 7 different ammo's for my Savage 22mag to try a similar test. I shot each at 25 then 50 to see how the groups would open up. 25 was hard to tell apart the premium ammo's but at 50 they started to show thier qualities. I tried host of 40gr and 30gr loads and categorically, the 30gr loads were all much tighter (and naturally faster--i chrono'd them all at the same time). I had nice groups with the hornady 30gr VMax, cci 30 gr and also the Federal TNT 30gr loads with the Federal and Hornady producing the tightest groups consistently. Honorable mention went to Winchester Supreme 34gr for a budget load since it shot one rather tight group but it just wasn't consistent enough. I've got pics of the targets/groups if you're interested.

Good stuff! I'd love to see pichers.

Jons- Both of you....

Nice job and you are giving me some faith in forum members as you are doing controlled testing. It's nice and rewarding isn't it?

Sometimes I think the forum is full of "Wolf steel cased ammo wasters". But not you guys! Good Job Again...

• Like 1