CageFighter

swapping out barrels on AR-15....prices??

Anyone have an idea on the going rate to swap out barrels and pin a muzzlebrake on an AR15? Or someone who is willing to do it? I am looking to install a 16-18" barrel to replace whats already there. Current set-up is new, new fired. Trying to avoid replacing the whole upper bc of cost.

ill let you borrow a wrench if you want to do it yourself, its fairly easy but considering on your current setup, it may be more worth while just buying a new complete upper and selling yours.

- You have to take into account buying the barrel, buying the brake,

- buying a new gas tube (depending on the length of your current set up if you have a rifle length system and go to a midlength or carbine length)

- new gas block depending if your current barrel has a pinned brake and your current gas block cant be removed because of the pinned brake.

-possible new rail or handguard system

in the end what are you really saving? a stripped upper? you can purchase uppers minus the BCG and just use your current bcg and sell your upper minus the BCG

im in Clifton if you want to swing by and we can discuss the options

ill let you borrow a wrench if you want to do it yourself, its fairly easy but considering on your current setup, it may be more worth while just buying a new complete upper and selling yours.

- You have to take into account buying the barrel, buying the brake,

- buying a new gas tube (depending on the length of your current set up if you have a rifle length system and go to a midlength or carbine length)

- new gas block depending if your current barrel has a pinned brake and your current gas block cant be removed because of the pinned brake.

-possible new rail or handguard system

in the end what are you really saving? a stripped upper? you can purchase uppers minus the BCG and just use your current bcg and sell your upper minus the BCG

im in Clifton if you want to swing by and we can discuss the options

sending PM

can't you just knock the pin out unscrew it take the gas block off and then put it back on and put the pin back in?

can't you just knock the pin out unscrew it take the gas block off and then put it back on and put the pin back in?

Depends on barrel profile, what handguard you will install afterwards, how hard is to take the old pinned muzzle device off the old barrel (the gas block needs to go over the muzzle), etc. Sometimes its just easier to get a new one.

It is after the fact, but I've got all the proper tools for AR work. BUT, there are a lot of things that can throw a wrench in the works when dealing with NJ's laws. Removing pinned brakes isn't difficult, but getting your finish at the pin will not be 100% of the rest of the barrel. As soon as you remove the brake, you are in possession of an illegal weapon. And that makes some people real anal. I'll work on my stuff and friends, but stopped doing 'favors' unless I really know someone.

It is after the fact, but I've got all the proper tools for AR work. BUT, there are a lot of things that can throw a wrench in the works when dealing with NJ's laws. Removing pinned brakes isn't difficult, but getting your finish at the pin will not be 100% of the rest of the barrel. As soon as you remove the brake, you are in possession of an illegal weapon. And that makes some people real anal. I'll work on my stuff and friends, but stopped doing 'favors' unless I really know someone.

Not entirely true. ONLY if you have the rest of the parts readily available in order to assemble an AW (according to the evil feature list). For instance, if you do not own a pistol grip that can fit an AR, or have one on your land... while doing this work, you would be 100% legal owning an AR with a threaded barrel. You can even go as far as putting a Monsterman grip on , and having an AR with a threaded barrel. Just don't have a regular AR pistol grip anywhere near the gun (land , property, vicinity, etc).

Yes this is NJ we live in, along with all the asinineness.

Not entirely true. ONLY if you have the rest of the parts readily available in order to assemble an AW (according to the evil feature list). For instance, if you do not own a pistol grip that can fit an AR, or have one on your land... while doing this work, you would be 100% legal owning an AR with a threaded barrel. You can even go as far as putting a Monsterman grip on , and having an AR with a threaded barrel. Just don't have a regular AR pistol grip anywhere near the gun (land , property, vicinity, etc).

Yes this is NJ we live in, along with all the asinineness.

Yes agreed. But I have lots of parts around...could easily fill a few empty lowers and upper receivers. When I order parts, I typically get a handful or so. The shipping is the same whether you get one roll pin / spring or a dozen. The worst thing in the world is being out of state training or competing and needing a part and not having it. It is safe to say that I have given out more parts or helped fix other guy's rifles then my own at events. You would be surprised at the poor maintenance that some departments have for their weapons. So, on my property, I take no chances. That's my story and I am sticking with it.