I'm looking for a good, sturdy .22LR bolt gun to get me through the upcoming apocalypse or at least long enough to pass down to my kids someday. Nearly everything I read points me toward the CZ 452, but the price is a killer (400 for the Style and 380 for the silhouette- I'll take either). Between the regular cost, shipping and transfer fees, I'm going to be out nearly $500.

I can go to Cabela's and leave with a good Savage for under $300 (cheaper, and available on the spot without fees) but they just don't seem to have the same rep as CZ. Plus, the 452 line is supposed to be discontinued and I may not have the chance to buy one in the future. CZ owners - could you offer me further advice that might justify the crazy cost?

Thanks

The CZ 452 is a solid .22LR that will def last you a lifetime. If you get a chance to hold the CZ, you'll quickly notice how much more solidly it is built vs a Savage, Marlin, or whatever other "cheaper" bolt .22 (not that the others are bad!). You get what you pay for. You are correct that the 452 is being discontinued and being replaced by the 455. Both are fine models - you won't go wrong with either. Here's a good review that someone did comparing the differences between the 452 vs 455:

CZ 452 vs 455 Review

In summary - both sound rock solid! The 452's been around for a few decades now so the design is well proven and solid! The 455 isn't a radical change, just really some changes to help simplify manufacturing.

As far as price, if you want to go with the more basic type stocks (beech wood vs walnut) you can find some the "trainer" 452s for $350 NIB. Although for a $50 more I'd go for some nicely figured walnut anyday, especially if you're thinking about handing this down through to your kids :) Try the price request here on the forum - most of the dealers would be able to order you one no problem and then you wouldn't have to worry about shipping and transfer fees either.

I have a CZ452 in 17HM2. It is a beautiful rifle. I sell practically everything at some point or another, but this has and will never go up for sale. I shoot at Shore Shot and Central Jersey. If you give me a little notice, I can bring mine with me and let you try it out. In my opinion, it is money well spent.

The new 455 is even better in one sense. It can shoot multiple calibers (17HMR, 22LR, and 22mag).

I have a 452 Varmint in .22LR. I am thinking of selling it but it feels so solid when I put it to my shoulder that I have my doubts. I thought I should have bought the American but after handling an American at the Bullet Hole, I like the Varmint better. It has a better, heftier feel. It also own a .17HMR 452 Varmint and a Scout in .22LR. All are good rifles that are fun to shoot.

I have a 452 Varmint in .22LR. I am thinking of selling it but it feels so solid when I put it to my shoulder that I have my doubts. I thought I should have bought the American but after handling an American at the Bullet Hole, I like the Varmint better. It has a better, heftier feel. It also own a .17HMR 452 Varmint and a Scout in .22LR. All are good rifles that are fun to shoot.

The Varmint model has the bull barrel. It makes a big difference in the feel. The only downside is that Varmint models don't come with iron sights. I was drooling over the Mannlicher full stock model.

• Like 1

I've heard a number of people, including the guy who won the most recent season of Top Shot, say that their ultimate weapon for the zombie apocalypse would be a Ruger 10/22. I've got one, and I've been practicing a lot with it. Not sure if it will save my life, but it's great fun to shoot!

The Varmint model has the bull barrel. It makes a big difference in the feel. The only downside is that Varmint models don't come with iron sights. I was drooling over the Mannlicher full stock model.

Both rifles he mentioned don't have iron sights so I didn't think that was an issue for him. The American doesn't have iron sights either. If you wanted to go sans scope, I would take a Varmint and put peep sights on it. A gunsmith could tap the barrel or cut a dovetail for the front sight. My old eyes (sigh) don't do well with open sights.

I've heard a number of people, including the guy who won the most recent season of Top Shot, say that their ultimate weapon for the zombie apocalypse would be a Ruger 10/22. I've got one, and I've been practicing a lot with it. Not sure if it will save my life, but it's great fun to shoot!

I think we need a dedicated zombie forum.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. I did some further reading after starting this thread and found that CZ's synthetic stocks are kind of flimsy. I always prefer the look of synthetic over wood, but on that note I widened my search to all the other 252's as well as the 455. (Ironsights not needed) There is an interesting price difference between the 452 and the 455 so I fear quality might have been sacrificed somewhere. I'd like to hear more reviews on the 455 but I'd still feel comfortable placing my trust in CZ and buying that one.

I checked Marlin and Savage off the list because many people say the quality is "hit or miss" and you take your take chances every time you buy one of their rifles. I don't doubt they make good products but I'd rather not run into a few lemons before I find a good one.

I'll try out the price request (didn't know about it) and post again when I make my decision.

Thanks guys!

Back again, guys. I'm picking up the CZ on Saturday and of course I'll need to pair it with a scope. The best scope within my price range seems to be the new Nikon Prostaff 3-9 tuned for .22LR or a Mueller APV. The Nikon has one of those bullet drop reticles though. Is that really useless like everyone says? I can't imagine why Nikon would stick one of those on a dedicated .22LR scope unless it had a purpose.

I actually have one of each of those scopes being delivered this week. One for a 10/22 and the other for a Savage TRR. I'm hoping to get to the range on Friday so I can give a field report on both afterwards.

Awesome! I'd definitely appreciate your report before I go ahead with anything.

I managed to make it down to the range on Friday so here's what my experiences were with both scopes. I would say that the glass is very comparable between the 2. The APV has a standard target reticle and the Nikon has a BDC. I usually use a mil-dot reticle so it took me a little while to get used to each of them. I think if I had to do it over again, I would have gotten the APT instead. The build quality of both scopes is solid, but I like the Nikon as it just feels solid and a little higher quality. I also preferred the Nikon for the turrets and their ability to be re-zeroed by just pulling up on the cap and turning it back to zero. As for the quality of the glass, I had no issues with either scope and thought that they both provided excellent clarity.

One other thing to consider is price. I was able to get the APV for around $150 and that is with an ARD and Burris Signature Zee rings. The Nikon cost about $35 more with the same rings. If you want the APT, that will cost you around $200 as that scope uses 34mm rings which are a little more expensive, assuming the same rings.

I don't think you could go wrong with either scope. The APV does have AO while the Nikon is locked at 50 yards. I think for my next scope, I'm going to try the APT and see if I can get the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps.

Try and find a lightly-used Remmy 581. My dad recently gave me his and it's fantastic. Very sturdy, 6 lug bolt, smooth action, extremely light, and consistently good looking stocks. They're extremely accurate too, from a rest at 25yds (I know not very far but it was at SCFGPA indoor range) I shot a 5 shot group measuring .36 using the stock ironsights. They're fairly inexpensive from what I've seen on gunbroker.