gunnarsport

Safely storing your handguns?

Hi,

As I am about to becoming a first time handgun owner and getting close to purchasing a S&W Model 617 .22 4" and a .38/.357 4" revolver, exactly how do you guys, that

DO NOT have your handguns setup for self defense, safely store them? I plan on purchasing a handgun safe that will be able to accommodate 3 handguns. I was thinking

about getting a model that can be bolted to concrete subfloor, in a closet.

How do most of you guys store your guns and maybe you can offer a few suggestions for some safes that will work for me? Do you store the ammo in a separate location,

or also store ammo in the safe?

Do most folks put aside the plastic case that come with the guns and just store the handgun lose in the safe? I dont think these safes are large enough to fit

the plastic cases also?

Thanks

I have one quick-safe that's setup for home defense, and another floor safe to store the rest of my handguns and some SD ammo. My other Ammo stays in locked ammo cans. I have no children in my home.

My revolvers stay oiled including a light coat inside the barrel, and furniture polish on the wood grips. They were my Dad's guns, and I rarely shoot them, so they're considered long term storage. I do pull them out every couple of months to wipe off the old oil and replace. The semi-autos get shot on a regular basis. I clean them after shooting, and put them in gun socks, unless I'm breaking in a leather holster.

As time goes by, and you acquire more guns you'll find out what works best for you.

Clean them and lube them, then store them away in whatever you are most comfortable with. It might be a large gun safe (might want to get one as once you get pistols, you're gonna get more as well as rifles), it might be a small pistol safe, or it might be in the original plastic cases placed discretely somewhere.

Just realize that it shouldn't be too far from arms reach. I know some people are not comfortable having a loaded gun hidden for HD, but at the same time, if you ever need it you do not want it to be locked away in a spare bedroom closet in a pistol safe that is underneath a pile of clothes and boxes. Get my drift?

I keep two pistols loaded at all times in various locations. The other... few... are stored in the top shelf of my 21 cubic foot safe, cleaned, lubed, unloaded, without magazines in them, and the hammers down. I store the pistol cases they came in on top of the safe, and on shelves in my basement.

I had the gun vault but I changed and went more for a storage based safe but being ready to go in seconds type of setup. I bought the 1 cubic foot version of this safe http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GB1VN8/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&s=hi&psc=1

It works well because on the bottom shelf I can lay down flat 3 handguns or resting up on the slide I could fit about 6 comfortably. That leaving the top shelf for me to store ammo and extra mags and such, and it literally takes 2 seconds for me to open up in case of emergency.

Thanks...

I have absolutely no intention to set up the guns for self defense, at his time. They will be strictly for recreational range shooting. I will more than likely

purchase a handgun safe and secure to floor and store the handguns unloaded, with the ammo in a separate location.

Thanks...

I have absolutely no intention to set up the guns for self defense, at his time. They will be strictly for recreational range shooting. I will more than likely

purchase a handgun safe and secure to floor and store the handguns unloaded, with the ammo in a separate location.

Why not? just wondering why you would be opposed to being able to protect yourself if someone were to break into your home, and please don't tell me I am in a low crime area because it really not a valid reason, everyone has the chance to be robbed, or attacked in their home.

Remember is not a privilege to protect yourself in your home, its a right.

As far as the storage, do you have children in the home under the age of 18 because that WILL dictate what is required, not as far as type, but access.

Harry

Thanks...

I sure would hate to be saying to myself, "Damn, these thugs are going to kill me! I wish my gun wasn't locked up in the safe at the bottom of the closet."

I used to keep weapons locked in a safe until I had the thought it sure would piss me off to have a need for one and not be able to access it.

If you have a weapon learn to use it and keep it handy just in case.

This is the real world and it is not safe all the time. Do a search on home invasions.

Harry,

Because its the choice I decided to make, No I do not have childern in the house. Again, my intention for purchasing the handguns is for fun range

shooting, NOT for home protection/self defense.

While I respect your decision and you have every right to do as you please, I was in the same situation as you, just got a .22 LR pistol to shoot for fun at the range, then I thought, it's one thing to get robbed and not have a gun in your house, but it's another thing to get robbed and know you have one but couldn't get to it if God forbid it was a true life threatening situation. So I purchased a small safe that sits in my bedroom closet that I can get to within 30 seconds if needed. I just feel much better knowing I have options. I can always decide not to use it if I don't want to, but I least it's always there just in case.

And for all you guys who say a .22 LR can’t be use for self-defense, it’s better than nothing. In fact this month’s addition of America’s 1st Freedom magazine under the “Armed Citizen” column, a man shot and killed an intruder with his .22 rifle with one shot to the chest. Despite all of this, I am just waiting for my P2P to get a 9MM, which will be my new home defense gun along with my 12 Gauge shotgun.

Looks like gunnarsport has already made up his mind; I think there's no need to press the matter further.

I kept my handgun in the plastic case, padlocked and cable tied when I was away from home. When I bought a second pistol I also got a safe to use for both instead.

Well, thats the choice I decided to make, and to be honest, I really dont think I should be mocked, questioned or criticized for that decision.

No one mocked you!

I sincerely think you should consider the possibility of needing to defend yourself or loved ones in your home.

I will add to what I wrote. You need a safe of some sort for when you are not at home. The type and size is dependent on what you're going to put in it. Also you might want to consider future needs.

The previous three posts went up while I was writing this one.

Well, thats the choice I decided to make, and to be honest, I really dont think I should be mocked, questioned or criticized for that decision.

I don't think you are being mocked, questioned or criticized. Just a bunch of guys just telling it like it is and sharing their experiences. What did you expect when you post something like this on a forum dedicated to guns?

Harry,

Because its the choice I decided to make, No I do not have children in the house. Again, my intention for purchasing the handguns is for fun range

shooting, NOT for home protection/self defense.

Ok, your choice and I'm not going to try and change it so we can let that be, but I will say, as you get more familiar and more involved keep an open mind is all I will say on that. by the way I was not mocking you at all.

As far as storage, you have gotten a lot of good info, the only reason I asked about children under the age of 18 in the house is you would then be required to make sure they are not accessible by them, that could mean big heavy safe, to original box and cable lock or trigger lock, anything that will keep them from getting hurt.

Myself personally I like that my daughter 11yo going on 12 in a few weeks shoots with me, knows the 4 rules of safety and will watch other to make sure they are follow the rules, bless her little heart. My wife also just started shooting with me and now I have a house that each and every person is familiar with guns, respects them, handles them properly and is not afraid of them at all, as it should be.

Welcome to the forum and stick around, a great bunch of folks here, a great wealth of information and I want to check back with you in a year and see if you view may have changed.

Harry

Your choice. We just don't understand why you would not want to protect yourself should something present itself. :banghead:

Believe me, bad stuff happens all the time, everywhere. If you just knew what your neighbors are doing and how close criminals live to you, you would have a different view on life. What you see on the news is a fraction of what is happening just outside your door, no matter where you live.

But again, your choice. :roulette:

Thanks,

I certainly will keep an open mind, and my perspective may change in the future.

It will be interesting to see what your views are in a year. It could be the same as today, which is completely fine.

Two years ago, I didn't own a gun.

Last year I got my first gun just for target shooting and swore I would never ever need more than one gun despite all the people on this board telling me otherwise.

Today, I have a .22 pistol, a .22 rifle, a 12 gauge shotgun and am waiting on 2 P2P and plan to get a 9MM handgun and holding on the second P2P to get something else, just not sure what yet.

So somehow I went from “I will only get one gun” to owning 3, getting a 4th soon and probably getting a 5th as well - in one years’ time. Go Figure!!!

I was in the same boat. As a relatively new owner I intended to just get one handgun to do some recreational shooting since I enjoyed it in the past. Now I have two handguns and I am looking to purchase a rifle. Using my firearms as a home defense tool wasn't in the forefront on my mind either when I first started out but I think once you become more familiar with your firearms you begin to realize it doesn't make sense to rule them out if something were to happen. Trust me I am not anxious to be in the position to have to use force to protect myself in the home but now I know if something were to happen I have options at my disposal. I'll also feel more comfortable with the idea as I continue to practice and take some courses. All that said I respect your decision and hope you get as much enjoyment out of the sport as we all do.

Just as an FYI I ended up purchasing a smaller Barska biometric safe (Link) that fits a few handguns and accessories. As has been said in the past you may want to take future purchases into consideration as mine is already filled and also would not accommodate my future rifle purchase. I have been storing ammo in .50cal ammo cans.

My girlfriend owns 2 S&W revolvers (.38 & .357), a .22 semi-auto pistol, is trained and has been shooting weekly for over a year. She doesn't keep her guns loaded in the house, ever. I've hinted several times that it's something she may want to consider. She's open minded, but for now she's not interested. I don't push her, and respect her decision.

You aren't alone in keeping your guns unloaded. I do this as well. It's what I feel is appropriate for my situation. I have a cousin who has a .38 Revolver. He keeps his in a safe, with the ammunition separate and the gun locked with a trigger lock. I think that is a little extreme, but it is his choice, not mine.

My suggestion would be to look at safes that hold two guns, and buy a safe that is four times the size.

The reason is simple. Once your spouse sees that safe, she is going to start putting jewelry, and documents in there.

I keep my shotguns in a safe, unloaded with the ammunition in the safe as well. I don't know your family situation, but this is what I feel is best with kids in the house. A shotgun shell isn't going to hurt anybody by itself, but there is a reason why "keep out of reach of children" is printed on the box. I know you said that you didn't intend to store ammunition in there, but if you ever want that option, it is available to you with a larger safe.

Whenever Dicks Sporting Goods has a sale, I'll buy several cases of Remington Gun Club Loads so I'm not running to Dicks and paying more the day I'm going to the club. If you buy in bulk when ammunition is on sale, you will save money in the long run. So my suggestion:

Get a 10 gun Stack-on cabinet from Dicks Sporting Goods. It will run you about $119 or maybe $99 when its on sale. You can bolt it to the floor and it will hold plenty of ammunition or shotguns if you ever got into clay games.

I get a kick out of I only want 1 gun, not putting anyone down for that at all but I have seen more people than not, actually I can't think of any who started out with that intention that kept to it.

Like I said, lets see in a year what the story is is all I will say, and I bet dollars to donuts that we will joke about it in a year from now. Heck we might have a new contender for the 2012 arms race. :sarcastichand:

I will say on a serious note that anyone just getting into shooting should take the basic pistol course from one of the reputable schools here in NJ, I vote for Gun for Hire being I have had great experiences with them, not just for your safety but to not lean bad habits to start out with and then later try and correct them.

Harry

Hi,

As I am about to becoming a first time handgun owner and getting close to purchasing a S&W Model 617 .22 4" and a .38/.357 4" revolver, exactly how do you guys, that

DO NOT have your handguns setup for self defense, safely store them? I plan on purchasing a handgun safe that will be able to accommodate 3 handguns. I was thinking

about getting a model that can be bolted to concrete subfloor, in a closet.

How do most of you guys store your guns and maybe you can offer a few suggestions for some safes that will work for me? Do you store the ammo in a separate location,

or also store ammo in the safe?

Do most folks put aside the plastic case that come with the guns and just store the handgun lose in the safe? I dont think these safes are large enough to fit

the plastic cases also?

Thanks

This is a good, quick access gun safe that will hold 4 loose weapons, two on each shelf with their related loaded magazines. http://www.gunvault....ic/gvb2000.html You can store loaded magazines with the weapons and also handy shotgun ammo for that 12 gauge that may be behind the door. It can be bolted to the floor or wall or an optional steel security cable.

Ammo gets stored here --> http://www.mtmcase-g...-cans-ac11.html for $25 per pair and they can be padlocked and stacked around your living quarters be it bedroom, utility room, etc. Each can will hold 1,300 rounds of 9MM or 1,000 rounds of .45ACP.

Use your plastic cases in your range bag and use them to transport your weapons to and from the range. It is also a good place to store your spare empty magazines that you wouldn't want or need to store in the safe.

:keeporder:

I agree. He has asked a storage question, and instead people are giving him a hard time for not using them in a way he doesn't want to use them. Someone asked once, he said that's just what he wanted, now forget that part and answer his question.

I store my pistols in a heavy fabric organizer mounted on the door of my safe. Something like this:

Liberty door panel organizer

Before I had my safe, I used a simple organizer on the shelf of my locked closet:

pistol rack

-Dave

Well, thanks guys! You may be right about some of this. But there gets to a point when you just cannot afford any more guns and you just have

to enjoy the ones you have.

By the way, I am NOT offended by any of your comments. I understand you guys are just trying to help.