Hello Everyone,

I have recently taken a introductory training course for IDPA at the Quinton Sportsmens Club. The course was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about the competition. Going into the class I was thinking that the guns used for IDPA would be primarily carry pistols such as snub nose and other types of smaller carry guns. However, I learned at IDPA is primarily shot with full size firarms. This will be a problem since I only have an XD Sub Compact .40 and a 9mm Beretta 92FS Vertec model. The XD leaves me at a disadvantage since its short and some of the shots for IDPA are 25 yards and my Beretta would be perfect but the IDPA will not allow me to use a duty belt unless I am law enforcement which I feel is unfair. The Beretta 92 Vertec only has about two types holsters and I recently purcahsed a brand new blackhawk serpa level 3 rig and duty belt. Does IDPA have a workaround for this rule? The only other issue is that since IDPA has a hammer down rule at the start it would require me to shoot my Beretta in double action during the first shot leading to inaccuracy. IDPA looks like fun and I would like to do good at the competition does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?

Learn how to shoot double action - it's a good thing to learn.

If you have a BH Serpa Level 3 - is that the drop leg one? You should be able to detach it from that and attach it to a standard belt or paddle attachment.

If you're law enforcement, however, you can shoot with what ever rig you normally use.

Bladetech will have or make you a holster and mag pouches which would be legal for IDPA.

Link-drop down menu you will see the Vertec on the list. http://www.blade-tech.com/Pro-Series-IDPA-PAK-pr-1093.html

As far as the other issues go, them are the rules. Like them or not it is what it is.

Shoot it with what you have and go from there.

I have been shooting my Beretta 92 in the USPSA matches for 3 months now. Let me tell you something, the second that buzzer goes off you aren't even thinking about or feeling the difference of that double action first shot. You are firing off that first shot so fast you are in single action before you know it. You become used to it very quickly and it becomes second nature.

I say go with the bladetech gear. That's what I have and I love mine. You can get the DOH "Dropped and offset" and use it for USPSA matches, then take off the little extension that drops it to make it legal for IDPA.

No sympathy here. I shoot my 92FS in USPSA and I won the Production Class last month. (okay...the really good guys didn't show up). If possible, start with a close easy target but if you practice and take a little extra time with the first shot, you will do well. One guy shoots a DAO (double action only) Sig and he does well for a neebie. BTW, using a duty rig is a real disadvantage since the mag pouches have closures with snaps.

+1 for the Blade-Tech DOH holster.

My opinion is that since you are starting out, focus more on safety and learning than winning. Also, its been my experience that you can shoot whatever you want as long as you understand you will not be ranked if you are using something outside the rules. I dont know if the club you went to is super strict or something, which is possible, but the places I have shot IDPA at were easy going in this regard. I have seen many shooting disqualified pistols. Also I believe that the duty belt is not restricted to LE only, if you perform in some sort of security function, that qualifies as well.

Bladetech has holsters that will work for you no worries there. Fear not the double-action shot! I shoot a Sig DA/SA and like it quite a bit. Practice (UNLOADED NO ONE AROUND YOU) drawing your pistol and pressing out while maintaining a good sight picture. Once you get better you can start applying pressure to the trigger before you're arms are completely out. Honestly if you can't shoot your pistol accurately in any of its functions you ought to practice more or find a new gun. As someone mentioned above you won't even realize it was DA when the buzzer goes off. Lastly, when you go to your first match you will see lots of people who are much more experienced than yourself, shooting very quickly. TAKE YOUR EFFING TIME. They've done this before probably many times, if you try to match their speed you will be very inaccurate and much more importantly very unsafe. Practice making good hits and speed will come with experience. You are not at a level yet to be "pushing yourself" to get a better time, focus on drawing, moving, engaging, reloading, and re-holstering safely. Also while I'm talking about it TAKE YOUR EFFING TIME. Yes it's that important. With that said, good luck! You'll come to really love competitive shooting, it's horribly addicting.

Thank you everyone for your responces! I will looking into Bladetech to see how much the holsters run. As far as the Beretta 92 is concerned does any of your guns shoot low and left? I have done some research online and found many people who have a 92 their gun shoots this way? Also have you done any mods to your gun?

Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your responces! I will looking into Bladetech to see how much the holsters run. As far as the Beretta 92 is concerned does any of your guns shoot low and left? I have done some research online and found many people who have a 92 their gun shoots this way? Also have you done any mods to your gun?

Thanks!

Yes. After I started using reloads, my 92FS shot low. I had Mastadon install adjustable rear sights. Check out the Mastadon forum for photos. The sights only needed minor adjustment.

PS: Here is the thread: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/22324-gunsmithing-done-by-mastodon/

As far as the Beretta 92 is concerned does any of your guns shoot low and left? I have done some research online and found many people who have a 92 their gun shoots this way?

Consistent low left is usually a sign of poor shooting technique, not the gun. Usually means that you are anticipating recoil and tending to push the gun forward. Before you condemn the gun and spend money needlessly (we could probably all write books on that), let someone more experienced shoot the gun and see if they get the same results.

As others have pointed out, concentrate on safety and learning the rules and having fun, before you worry about being competitive. IDPA is nice in that you don't need a ton of equipment to get into it. Blade Tech makes very nice products, and if you think this is something you are going to stick with, then buy a good holster right off the bat. If you are not sure, IDPA can be shot with a $19 Uncle Mikes (kydex not nylon) - but keep in mind you may ultimately buy the better holster. Other than that you only need a double mag pouch (or two singles) and three mags.

The main thing is to have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I think Bladetech makes those IDPA packs.... holster/mag pouches and possibly belt?

And +1 to Pizza bob and others. Its often not the arrow but the indian.

I personally shoot the sigs/hk's about an inch or so below point of aim, with the same sight picture as my 1911's, CZ clones and glocks.

Hand the gun off to someone else, and they are spot on. It is all about grip and trigger control.

+1^infinity to focusing on safety and about having fun. We all suck in the gun games compared to those doing it professionally. You are not going to win your first match. Have not seen anyone say honestly, that their gun limited their competitiveness their first game.

Much like giving a middle aged mom a high end digital SLR to take pictures of a graduation, or give a professional a disposable camera.... and whom do you think will have better pictures?

Shoot a few actual matches and in time you will learn what you like or don't like. Go to the matches, ask questions, and listen.

welcome to the sport and to the forum.

Col. Mortimer,

Thank you for the reply. Those sight you had installed look amazing! I was wondering what was the brand of the sights?

Here is the MidwayUSA listing: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=657597

Be sure the safety clears the sights. Your smith may have to mount them to the right a bit.