Krdshrk

Somerset IDPA Match - 7/17/11

Just putting this up there for the new guys who want to come to the next IDPA match.

Please note - this is a LOW LIGHT/NO LIGHT match so bring your flashlights. Handheld lights only

Date: Sunday, July 17th, 2011

Time: Registration: 10:45 a.m.

New shooters briefing: 11:00 a.m.

Hammer Down: 11:30 a.m.

Roster:

1. Krdshrk

2. hd2000fxdl (maybe)

3. 82ndAbnRVN (maybe)

RATS - I SO want to do this - but may not be able to make this one. Daughter has college orientation weekend in Scranton.

Are those of you who have e-mailed Tom to pre-reg getting confirmations back or just assuming he's got it marked down? I sent him an e-mail on Monday night and hadn't seen any response just yet. I really don't want to pester the guy when it's clear as day that he works his butt off to get these events set up. Just nervous that this one will fill up particularly quickly given the relatively unique low-light aspect.

I'll be there. Hopefully none of you people who can actually shoot attend just like last month, SSP CHAMP MRP!

The only flashlight I have that's pushbutton operated isn't very well suited for shooting with. I'll bring it either way but is there anyone who might have a spare I could borrow if mine proves too troublesome? I'll buy you a beer after!

I'll be there. Hopefully none of you people who can actually shoot attend just like last month, SSP CHAMP MRP!

The only flashlight I have that's pushbutton operated isn't very well suited for shooting with. I'll bring it either way but is there anyone who might have a spare I could borrow if mine proves too troublesome? I'll buy you a beer after!

I've got a Fenix L2T you can use.

Yeah - I practiced with mine last night - it's not bad. I hold it light end down towards my pinky so I can click it to constant on with my thumb, then use a harries hold.

I found this to be a pretty good index on how to hold a handheld flashlight.

http://www.iwillnotbeavictim.com/flashlight_hold-page.html

I emailed Tom monday, I hope I got a spot. It's only 10mins from me so if I go and its full, whatever...although I really want to shoot this match.

I'll try and bring an extra flashlight with me. I have one that is an Ultrafire (knockoff of Surefire, obviously) and that beam will singe corneas.

Yeah - I practiced with mine last night - it's not bad. I hold it light end down towards my pinky so I can click it to constant on with my thumb, then use a harries hold.

I found this to be a pretty good index on how to hold a handheld flashlight.

http://www.iwillnotbeavictim.com/flashlight_hold-page.html

Good link. I was experimenting the other night as well and had arrived at something similar to the Rogers/Surefire hold as the most comfortable option.

I'll let you use one of my Streamlight TLR-1's, Mark. should be able to manipulate it ok with 1 hand. I've practiced a bit with it like that.

I've got a Fenix L2T you can use.

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll try both if that's alright, I'm not sure which will be too large for my tiny girl hands :(

Also for those of you worried about being registered, I talked to Tom last night at SCFGPA IDPA practice and he mentioned that yes I was signed up. I didn't get any response from him either when I emailed him so I think you can rest assured that you're on his list if you emailed him already. I figure he'll only email you back if he can't fit you on the list, sort of "no news is good news".

What time do the monthly shoots usually finish? 3pm? 5pm?

Just putting this up there for the new guys who want to come to the next IDPA match.

Please note - this is a LOW LIGHT/NO LIGHT match so bring your flashlights. Handheld lights only

Date: Sunday, July 17th, 2011

Time: Registration: 10:45 a.m.

New shooters briefing: 11:00 a.m.

Hammer Down: 11:30 a.m.

Cost: $10.00 (Lunch included)

For questions contact:

Tom Richards - Chairman/Match Director

cell: 732-522-4076

[email protected]

Roster:

1. Krdshrk

2. vjf915

3. Pizza Bob

4. jonathan19163703

5. Zell959

6. MrP

7. 82ndAbnRVN

Maybes:

1. hd2000fxdl (maybe)

2. Mr Shoot It All

What time do the monthly shoots usually finish? 3pm? 5pm?

With the limited 32 man roster (assuming they are going to stick to this), it should be more on the order of 3:30 - 4:00 PM, depending on the complexity of the stages.

I got a reply from Tom yesterday. He confirmed that I'm in. He also answered my question, that you don't need a holster for the light....you can simply keep it in your pocket. I figured it was a longshot that we would need a holster, but wanted to ask just to make sure.

Nick,

You can show me off the list of Maybes being I can't make it at all, have to work that day, I have one controller out with a broken foot and another one that is pregnant and got into a auto accident. Was looking forward to it but S happens.

Harry

Nick,

You can show me off the list of Maybes being I can't make it at all, have to work that day, I have one controller out with a broken foot and another one that is pregnant and got into a auto accident. Was looking forward to it but S happens.

Harry

Nick, I have to beg out, also. S does happen - literally ... let's call it bad burrito last nite.

I will e-mail Tom to give him a heads-up. I hope this opens a spot for someone else.

Definately next time, tho!

Ron

Great match. Not one that I'd enjoy cutting my teeth on, but fun for everyone involved. First two stages were no-light, strictly what your flashlight generated and that was it. Second two stages were low-light, no flashlights allowed. The only light available was from two revolving red "bubble-gum machine" lights mounted on the ceiling (night sights would have been a definite plus in these two stages). I found out that not only can't I see in the dark, but apparently my brain stops functioning also. The scores from this are going to be astronomical. While some shot a single stage well, I don't think anyone shot the entire match consistently well. Of the people I was watching, I'd have to say that I expect vjf915 to place well overall, and while he has shot USPSA, this was only his second IDPA match.

It was a light day. 21 shooters total, so a 10 man and an 11 man squad. vjf had to get home so we bailed right after we were done shooting and we were home (45 min drive) by 3:30. Mr P, Krdshrk & Recessed Filter were there also. If there was anyone else there from the board, they didn't make their presence known (probably a wise thing for when the scores are posted). It was an interesting match.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Just got back. It was great match!! I was expecting ONE stage to be no/low light, but the entire match was! Very surprised. The third and forth stages were harder, because we just had a red strobe light that provided light. It was next to impossible to see the sights. Can't wait to see the scores.

Just got back. It was great match!! I was expecting ONE stage to be no/low light, but the entire match was! Very surprised. The third and forth stages were harder, because we just had a red strobe light that provided light. It was next to impossible to see the sights. Can't wait to see the scores.

Was a great match, though not in terms of my score heh. Nick really eviscerated those last two, it was awesome.

Glad you guys had so much fun! Sorry I missed it. Was mentoring a 14 year old in the "Dark Arts"

Tom always runs a nice Match!

Just be glad you didn't have a siren playin' while yer shootin', LOL!

Well unfortunately I was unable to make it (joke!). Once I see my scores, I will be sticking to that hahaha.

I am glad I made this match, for one I haven't had a chance to make SCFGA the past two months and two because of the low light scenarios. The most important reason I was glad I attended was that this was a big lesson learned, I need to practice more with low light situation and especially with a flashlight in my hand. We all know it takes training, training, and even more training to be able to react to a situation and be able to go back to training and do exactly what you need to/trained to do. So from now on I will be going to the range at dusk to practice drawing, shooting, reloading all with my HD flashlight. By looking at some of us shot today (yeah, some of the tactical training guys did pretty good), I hope more people realize this and do the same thing. In no way do I mean this as a bad thing, but I think some of us need to rethink our HD strategy and since most of HD encounters happen at night/in the dark, we can all use some more practice! It's obvious, as any type of defense but especially HD, you cannot expect to never train with a flashlight and expect to hop out of bed, smoothly get your gun and flashlight, and smoothly use your flashlight along with your handgun for a HD situation. And practicing with a flashlight once a month at the range isn't going to cut it.

So yes, I am glad I made it because I enjoy seeing familiar faces and meeting new ones, always learning something new, and learning that although I try to expand my basic knowledge/training, I need to definitely train more with a flashlight if I expect to come out on top of a HD situation.

Edit: My apologies for all of the numerous 'HD'/'HD situation' references.

Vid's up. I aimed the camera poorly in the last 2 stages... but oh well.

Stage 1&2 came out pretty good though.

From a raw time standpoint, stage one was my biggest disaster. I had an overly complicated means of holding the flashlight planed out in my head and it of course didn't work out and left me fumbling to figure out something else in the dark. Wouldn't of been that bad if that was the end of it, but when I reached my 5th target I could see that none of that set was patched from the last shooter. that threw me off enough that I completely forgot about the next set of targets. I had dropped a semi full mag and was about to show clear before the SO pointed out my mistake, at which point I fetched the mag, rechambered, and headed to the last targets...which were also unpatched...

Got zeros for the unpatched targets, but I can't say whether or not the good hits were from the prior shooter.

Luckily, it didn't make it any less fun and disasters tend to be the best learning experience.