Joelk

Carbine Combative video from Chris Fry on PDN

As I know a bunch of you have trained with Chrs Fry of MDTS, I thought you might like to see the carbine combative video he just did for PDN (The Personal Defense Network).

You should, Ive taken 5 (I think) and can say hes an excellent trainer.

So I hear. I know a good amount of folks that have taken a variety of the classes. Including my wife who took a (knife fighting?) class about five years ago and hasn't shut up about it since. Yeah, gotta lose the gut and get some schooling, time for something new.

In my head I'm playing this scenario out at speed and it's not coming out well for the rifle guy.

While he's making sure he's got the butt stock secured the other guy is shooting him in the face...and probably succeeding.

This is for when a shooting solution is not appropriate, such as:

You are not justified in shooting the target (Like the case where officers were serving an arrest warrant and an unarmed grandparent got in the way saying "my babdy didn't do nuffin").

The rifle has malfunctioned/run out of ammo at extrememly close range.

Or, your adversary has grabbed your rifle, and you are now struggling over the gun. In this case you can fire as soon as you are oriented if it is justified.

In the actual carbine combatives block, Chris goes over a lot more than in a 4 minute video, including live fire at extremely close range, strikes and blocks with the carbine (using cool padded carbines so you can go pretty hard), the effects of slings in a gun grapple, etc.

Thanks for the explanation. Kinda makes sense but I've used a rifle at close quarters also.

Like I said, at speed, it takes too much time. As soon as I saw a hand on my weapon I'd immediately go on the offensive, using whatever level of the continuum of force I deemed appropriate. The time and effort required to retract the weapon and secure it is better spent stepping into your attacker and disabling him/her.

Chalk it up to different philosophies I suppose.

Thanks for the explanation. Kinda makes sense but I've used a rifle at close quarters also.

Like I said, at speed, it takes too much time. As soon as I saw a hand on my weapon I'd immediately go on the offensive, using whatever level of the continuum of force I deemed appropriate. The time and effort required to retract the weapon and secure it is better spent stepping into your attacker and disabling him/her.

Chalk it up to different philosophies I suppose.

A well trained front heel kick, or muay thai 'teep' kick is also a great option in place of the 'Ram' to aid in weapon retention.