hmmjak

Who wants a house for $16?

I don't understand why the neighbors are so quick to try and get him out. I mean if the man is legally residing in the home, then leave him the eff alone.

He's not legally residing in the house, that's the problem. He is a tresspasser (that's sort of one of the requirements of adverse possession). However, the neighbors don't really have any way to claim tresspass or to have him removed through a civil action (eviction/quiet title etc), because they don't have any rights to the house, so, they can't ask the police or the courts to remove him.

The only party that can ask the police to remove the guy is the owner of record (the mortgage company), which no longer exists. Perhaps the police could pick him up for criminal tresspass, but I don't know Texas law to tell you if he is committing that crime.

In the end, he's holding himself out as the owner of the property and daring the "owner" to file a lawsuit to evict him. I'm surprised the Texas adverse possession statute is so short (only 3 years)!!!!!

Best of luck to him, if he's smart enough to research and understand the law and diligent enough to do the research to find a property like this one where he is extremely unlikely to get kicked off of, he might end up being a really good neighbor to live next to.

Bunch of up-tight McMansion owners....well, that's a different rant. Never mind.

The only party that can ask the police to remove the guy is the owner of record (the mortgage company), which no longer exists.

Usually another company comes along and buys (or is forced to buy) the remaining mortgages, otherwise everyone else with a mortgage from that company could just stop paying... IMO it won't be long and this guy will be back on the street - but hey, where else can you rent a place for $16?

He would have to pay property taxes, and be responsible for any property tax that has accrued during the time the house was vacant otherwise he will not be able to get title after the 3 years. Then again its TX, so property taxes are probably drastically much lower than here in the PRNJ.

These laws are obviously being abused here. They were meant to settle border disputes between large tracts of farmland, and old-fashioned homesteading back in the days of western expansion. Appears many states are modernizing the laws.

In the meantime, anyone that owns property in other states, you may want to visit it once in awhile to make sure nobody is pulling this crap on you.

Good for this guy. He researched the law, knew what had to be done, did it in a quiet manner and is now a semi-legal owner of the property. As long as he pays the back property taxes, and waits the three years its his. The original owners bailed on the house when the mortgage forced them under so why not let a man who knows what he is doing own it? It was obviously sitting vacant for a long period of time.

For the record: Florida has the lowest Adverse Possession time of only 2 years. At least to my knowledge.

I think the neighbors are mad because they actually had to pay and are jealous. I hope he gets the house. Its obvious that hes fairly intelligent! I could be wrong too. Our media only reports half the story 90% of the time.

Ken