david8613

silicone cloths or socks recomended?

are silicone cloths or socks recommended? or any silicone spray and rag do? i am putting together a pretty good collection and would like to know the best way to store them when they are not in use? any special proceedures?

are silicone cloths or socks recommended? or any silicone spray and rag do? i am putting together a pretty good collection and would like to know the best way to store them when they are not in use? any special proceedures?

I personally use Hoppe's lubricating oil and microfiber towels/q-tips for the final coat after cleaning. My guns sit in a safe with moisture capturing pouches, but u dont really need them if you store them in a temp controlled room well lubed. If your not using them then a healthy coating of lube should be on every part of the gun/s including the inside of the barrels. Make sure you use gun lube tho, any lube will protect the gun, but not every lube will allow it run correctly/ protect it in use. I use wd-40 after i use the gun to keep the crap from caking up in the barrel before i get to clean it thoroughly, i would never use it for protection/cleaning/lubrication tho, there is much better stuff out there for that. I also use the otis 085 multi-purpose solvent/lube to clean the gun. I purchased an Otis kit when i found one for like 1/2 off and it came with everything i would ever need to clean a gun, the best tools i found are the tiny scraper tools that allow you to really dig the grime out of the rails and other hard to clean spots. I prefer extremely clean guns but that's just me. Some guys wont bother with the finer detailing. You could make the process extremely quick or very long.

I use the silicone impregnated gun socks. They help prevent scratches when you put them in and take them out of the safe. I have no problems with rust either.

+1. I have some rifles with nice wood that was getting a little dinged before i started using silicone socks. Now everything is fine.

You can buy 6 packs of socks cheap from I believe midway. I use them for the fancy stuff in the safe so I dont have to worry about charging handles taking chunks out of the neighboring rifles. I use pistol socks, too

yeah they sell them by 1 or 6