If you move and need a change of address made on your Firearms ID Card, what is the procedure to get it replaced and/or reissued with the new address? Do you have to resubmit all paperwork at the new police station and go through background check, etc? Have you had any difficulty or unreasonable delay in doing this?

Please provide details of your experience.

I moved 3 miles from Forked River to Bayville. SORRY. It took 4 months for FID and 3-4 months for every PP. Forked River was 2 weeks for PP.

4 months just for change of address. Bring old card and ID to your new. Let them copy FID. Don't let them keep it. New one will be awhile. Just a print when ready. Old purchase records will be sent to new PD.

I assume that they cannot take it until they give you a new one, correct?

Did you have to pay the money to get fingerprinted, again?

you assume wrong... or at least in my case that was the situation...

when you go to change the address.. at that point your existing FID has the wrong info on it (wrong address) so they are not going to let you keep NJ documentation that has the wrong info on it..

So, at that point and time when you relinquish it, you would not be able to transport any of your firearms or buy another one until they issue the new one with the corrected address, which can take quite a bit of time?

So, at that point and time when you relinquish it, you would not be able to transport any of your firearms

FID is to BUY not transport.. moot point..

buy another one until they issue the new one with the corrected address, which can take quite a bit of time?

FID is required to buy guns and handgun ammo..

you will not be able to do either till your new card comes.. sorry..

I believe that an executed "Permit to Purchase" is sufficient to buy ammo.

I am not familiar enough with administrative code to agree or disagree.. but I KNOW that "big box" retailers won't sell it to you without FID.. that does not mean it is actually in the code.. it may be an attempt by them to err on the side of caution?

NJS 2C:58-3.3b

No person shall sell, give, transfer, assign or otherwise dispose of, or receive, purchase, or otherwise acquire handgun ammunition unless the purchaser, assignee, donee, receiver or holder is licensed as a manufacturer, wholesaler, or dealer under this chapter or is the holder of and possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card, a valid copy of a permit to purchase a handgun, or a valid permit to carry a handgun and first exhibits such card or permit to the seller, donor, transferor or assignor.

IMO, a valid copy means any copy that is valid, new or used.

ETA: This is also the opinion of my County Prosecutors Office regarding the return of seized firearms.

IMO, a valid copy means any copy that is valid, new or used.

ETA: This is also the opinion of my County Prosecutors Office regarding the return of seized firearms.

makes sense as it is written..

doubt it would matter much to a store though.. whatever "policy" they have in place will trump logic..

so I would just be prepared to NOT buy handgun ammo till the new one comes back.. and if you do happen to find places that will let you buy it.. well then you are ahead..

Did you have to pay the money to get fingerprinted, again?

They wanted to take it when i turned in the forms. I refused and they caved, letting me hold onto it until the new card was ready.

I did have to get printed again.

If you move and need a change of address made on your Firearms ID Card, what is the procedure to get it replaced and/or reissued with the new address? Do you have to resubmit all paperwork at the new police station and go through background check, etc? Have you had any difficulty or unreasonable delay in doing this?

Please provide details of your experience.

it USED to be one single form, walk in and get your card right then if the Chief was in, a couple of days at most. New rules under Corzine changed it to the same form as a P2P/FPID card and the $18.00 background check cost. When i Moved to the town im in now i had my new FID in a day. When i bought my house in the same town in Dec of 07 it took me 7 Weeks to get a new card.

FID is to BUY not transport.. moot point..

FID is required to buy guns and handgun ammo..

I was under the understanding that with FID you could transport unloaded longarms wherever you wanted (and not prohibitted) but without FID you can only transport longuns to and from the range and other excepted locations.

Please confirm either your statement or my understanding so I know from now on.

When you said fingerprinting, was it the full fingerprinting that you had to do again, or just the print that goes on the card? Did they make you pay that ridiculous fingerprinting fee, again?

I was under the understanding that with FID you could transport unloaded longarms wherever you wanted (and not prohibitted) but without FID you can only transport longuns to and from the range and other excepted locations.

Your statement is correct. Without Purchaser ID long arms must be transported under the exemptions just like handguns.

you are in fact correct..

+1 to you... most people do not utilize it in that manner but you are technically correct..

When you said fingerprinting, was it the full fingerprinting that you had to do again, or just the print that goes on the card? Did they make you pay that ridiculous fingerprinting fee, again?

The whole shabang. The process will be identical from point a to point b as it is getting your initial FID. It is the same deal if you change your name, which is why my fiance is waiting until we get married to get her card.