Sign in to follow this  
P Daddy

Surefire Mags in an Arsenal sgl21

I bought a couple of the 15 round surefire mags for my new arsenal, but I couldn't get them to fit properly. Me being the hammerhead that I am, I decided to work on them a bit with my dremel and went overboard with the grinding. I finally got them to fit, but they would not feed the rounds at all. Does anyone have a pic or can describe the proper way to modify them?

Surefire magazines are meant for Saiga's that don't have the bullet guide, which yours does. When you have the bullet guide, there's not much of a reason to go with the Surefire mags. Although they're good, you can source 15/30's or 15/20's for relatively cheap.....or you can save up your money to be able to move out of state, and use unpinned surplus mags :D

I'm a bit confused. So you are saying standard AK mags will work in the Arsenal? I thought the surefire mags should work because the gun is a converted Saiga. I'm sorry for the confusion. This is my first rifle. I am only somewhat familiar with pistols and shotguns.

Saiga with no bullet guide

Saiga factory magazines

Surefire Saiga specific magazines

both OK...

Saiga with bullet guide and a properly filed mag latch

Saiga factory magazines

Surefire Saiga specific magazines

mil spec AK 47 magazines

Surefire AK-47 specific magazines

ALL OK

with varying degree of fitment issues

So you are saying standard AK mags will work in the Arsenal?

Don't worry about the confusion, that's what we're here for....to answer questions. Your Arsenal is a converted Saiga....but the conversion that Arsenal does includes the bullet guide, which allows the rifle to use standard AK mags.

• Like 1

I bought a couple of the 15 round surefire mags for my new arsenal, but I couldn't get them to fit properly. Me being the hammerhead that I am, I decided to work on them a bit with my dremel and went overboard with the grinding. I finally got them to fit, but they would not feed the rounds at all. Does anyone have a pic or can describe the proper way to modify them?

I had the same deal with my Arsenal with bullet guide but I was a lucky grinder. Everything worked. I took out the extra tab near where the bullet noses are. Since yours will not feed you might as well trash them and not use Surefire. I also have 2x Mtn Armory 15/30 that work fine..

2nd thought - if you removed too much, it's over. If you removed not enough, you still have a chance to make it work.

Vlad knows 100x me but I will comment that I did nothing to the mag release. Don't why this was ok. Vlad????

Will also second the notion that folks on NJGF are very helpfull.

when you say surefire.. are you talking AK surefire mags.. or Saiga surefire mags...

I guess you are asking P Daddy but for my part I didn't even know that there were two types of Surefire.

All I know is that I filed off what I call the mag bullet guide (probably the wrong term) to make it work. That left me with a U shape at the exit corner of the mag.

I do believe he's asking you. If you have the bullet guide and had to shave down part of the magazines feed ramp, then I'd assume you have the Surefire mags made for Saiga's.

Thanks Guys. Yes - have the guide & shaved the ramp. So it is Saiga Surefire. It's the type with the weird/irritating (my opinion) last round bolt hold open.

Thanks Guys. Yes - have the guide & shaved the ramp. So it is Saiga Surefire. It's the type with the weird/irritating (my opinion) last round bolt hold open.

Why is that irritating?

Why is that irritating?

Because the BHO feature is in the magazine, not the safety lever. What happens is you run out of ammo, the magazine catches the bolt and holds the bolt open. When you remove the magazine, the bolt shuts. It would be more useful using a safety lever BHO, lock the bolt into place, insert new magazine, and then release the safety to charge the gun. Now that I mention it, it seems like I'll have to take a dremel to my safety lever sometime soon :D

I guess you are asking P Daddy but for my part I didn't even know that there were two types of Surefire.

All I know is that I filed off what I call the mag bullet guide (probably the wrong term) to make it work. That left me with a U shape at the exit corner of the mag.

I had the Saiga Sufefire mags, not the AK Surefire. I definitely butchered them beyond any use. I'm just saving them for parts.

I ordered a few 15/20's from mtnarmory, they seem to work just fine.