Sign in to follow this  
Underdog

Glock Advice Needed

What additional Glock would you get to compliment the following two?

Glock 23 GEN 3 w/ 9mm conversion barrel

Glock 19 GEN 4

Predominantly, the 19 will be used at the range and the 23 is for home defense.

The following are in the running:

A duplicate of my favorite gun, the Glock 19, GEN 4 (maybe setup with small dot sights)

A Glock 23 Gen 4 that hopefully could use the conversion used by the GEN 3 Model 23

A Glock 17 Gen 4

A Glock 22 Gen 4

Possibly, one in .45 ACP, but then that would require another caliber be stocked and the grip would be larger and I don't know about the .45 ACP and a light polymer frame.

Please provide thoughts on the following questions as well:

What are your sight recommendations in any of the following categories: large dot, small dot, night sights, fiber optic, night/fiber optic, orginal Glock sights, etc.? Which sights work for you and why?

Can Glock sight tools be picked up for much under $100 plus,and if so, where is the best place to purchase them?

Are there still GEN 4 growing pains and what is your advice/experience on this concern? What are your thoughts on the rougher textured GEN 4 finish? If you really prefer a GEN 3, please advise.

For anyone that has experience with the 17 and 19, how much does the additional sight radius help?

What parts would you update on converting from 23 to 19 besides the barrel and magazines? Do you recommend it?

If you use an aftermarket trigger, which one do you use/like and why?

Are you comfortable in using a stock 9mm for home defense. Or, would you prefer at least the .40 S&W? I am not interested in a 10mm or .357 SIG.

My current thoughts, now, would be to get a Glock 23 GEN 4, and then maybe trade off the 23 GEN 3, and replace it with a Glock 19 GEN 4 or Glock 17 Gen 4 or another 19 GEN 4.

Lastly, do you have any recommendations on a safe holster suitable for concealed carry?

While my six months of shooting hardly qualify me as an expert, as my screen name would suggest, I have some familiarity with Glocks. Like you, I started with a Glock 23, gen.?; then added a G19, gen.4. I next added a Beretta 92A1, which is a thing of beauty, in contrast to the utilitarian looks and function of the Glocks. Also like you, I struggled with what to get next. I considered adding something in .45 ACP, like the G21, but decided that it would simplify my ammo situation to stick with 9mm. I decided that I liked the M&P 9mm Pro Series, but S&W will not ship it to NJ (I called them a few times to verify), due to its 17 round mags.

It was then that I stumbled onto the Glock 34. With its longer barrel (not sure if the trigger is any different), it possessed some of the features I had sought in the M&P Pro, its 10 round mags make it NJ legal. Got it a few weeks ago, and I'm totally smitten with it. Like you, I keep the G23 for HD, and use the G19 more at the range and for a couple of tactical shooting classes that I've taken. If the G19 is a pleasure to shoot, the G34 is a dream! I'm not a great shooter, but even I am pretty accurate with that baby. While my G23 and G19 have Trijicon night sights, so far I have stayed with the stock sights on the G34.

The thought of being able to carry is mostly a far off pipedream, but if it ever comes about, I guess the G19 would be my choice. I have a Blackhawk Serpa holster, which has worked well for the tactical shooting classes, although I'm not really qualified to offer an opinion on how well it would work for a CCW. As a bonus. the same holster works for all three of my Glocks.

You might consider doing a search for Hickok 45 on YouTube. He has a number of good videos out where he reviews the Glocks, although when I searched, I was unable to find anything on the G34.

Thank you for the advice. Does the 34 have the same grip size and distance from the backstrap to the trigger as the 19? Do you fel that the 17 is too close in size to the versatile 19, and that the 34 would be much better?

I have a Beretta 92FS and I love the gun, but it just doesn't seem to fit me well, so I want to sell it. But, it is an attractive gun. The only gun I like in appearance more than the Beretta is probably the brushed stainless CZ75B.

I vote for a Gen 4 Glock 21 .45acp. I have a G19 and G23 Gen 4, and A G21SF Gen 3 (the grip is the same size as a 17/22). The G21 compliments these compacts great. The 45acp is fantastic in the "plastic" g21, you will love it. Light recoil and it is pinpoint accurate. The only thing I would do different is get the G21 Gen4 which is coming out now. I can't see a reason for a G17 if it holds 17rds but your only allowed 15. With a G21 and a Scherer +2 mag extension you get 14+1rds of 45acp. Perfect for the range and home defense, not so great for concealing. It's the only gun I keep loaded in my house.

Forget the conversion crap, just shoot what you buy. The only Gen4 "issue" was a recoil spring that was too heavy for the 9mm target ammo in the G19 Gen4. It since has been resolved with a lighter spring. I would not buy any new Glock unless it was a Gen4.

What additional Glock would you get to compliment the following two?

Glock 23 GEN 3 w/ 9mm conversion barrel

Glock 19 GEN 4

I've got a Gen2 G19, Gen3 G19, Gen4 G23, Gen2 G17 & Gen3 G26. I would recommend doing 1 of 3 things.

1. Go bigger - G22/G35 to complement your G23, G17/G34 (obvious PITA'ness due to the limited 10rnd mags), G21 of some flavor (recently shot a G21SF and LOVED it).

2. Go smaller - G26/G27. I'm very happy I picked up the G26. Recoil feels very very similar to a pre Gen4 G19 w/ a smidge more muzzle flip.

3. Get a duplicate of what you already have to have redundency of your primary plaform.

Predominantly, the 19 will be used at the range and the 23 is for home defense.

Hate to say this, but the Gen4 G23 really ramps up the finesse level of the G23.

The following are in the running:

A duplicate of my favorite gun, the Glock 19, GEN 4 IF THIS IS YOUR FAVORITE PISTOL, GET THIS!!! (maybe setup with small dot sights)

A Glock 23 Gen 4 that hopefully could use the conversion used by the GEN 3 Model 23

A Glock 17 Gen 4

A Glock 22 Gen 4

Possibly, one in .45 ACP, but then that would require another caliber be stocked and the grip would be larger and I don't know about the .45 ACP and a light polymer frame.

Choices discussed above. Again, the G21SF is a REALLY nice pistol, as is the G30. I agree w/ you on stocking another caliber. This is the ONLY reason I would steer away from this choice. Unless you reload, this will be your most costly option in ammo.

Please provide thoughts on the following questions as well:

What are your sight recommendations in any of the following categories: large dot, small dot, night sights, fiber optic, night/fiber optic, orginal Glock sights, etc.? Which sights work for you and why? - I use Trijicons and Meprolights. Mep's seem to be easier to pick up faster, whereas the Trij's seem to have a finer sight picture. Only other sights I've used are Big Dot sights. Don't like them as finer shooting is, for me, extremely difficult w/ these. I do not like dot over dot sights.

Can Glock sight tools be picked up for much under $100 plus,and if so, where is the best place to purchase them? - Get the Lone Wolf Glock tool for $19.99. This allows total takedown of the Glock, plus front sight installation. Also, sight pushers are going to be about $125+. This is only for the rear sight, but worth it, if you plan on replacing your sights yourself.

Are there still GEN 4 growing pains and what is your advice/experience on this concern? What are your thoughts on the rougher textured GEN 4 finish? If you really prefer a GEN 3, please advise. - From what I've read, for the most part it's the 9mm's that are having issues. I have 800'ish rounds on my Gen4 G23 w/ zero issues. I personally, would have no issues getting a Gen4 anything. To me, the Gen4 takes the Glock up a notch in texture, grip size and recoil management.

For anyone that has experience with the 17 and 19, how much does the additional sight radius help? - Shooting both pistols back to back, no question, the G17 is easier to be accurate on. I can shoot both pistols to an equal level of accuracy, the G17 is easier to accurate on though. Also, the recoil signature on the G17 is softer and offers quicker shot to shot recovery vs. the G19. However, keep in mind, you're shooting 9mm. You're not talking all that much difference in recoil control.

What parts would you update on converting from 23 to 19 besides the barrel and magazines? Do you recommend it? - I have no direct experience on caliber conversions on this platform.

If you use an aftermarket trigger, which one do you use/like and why? - I swap out the serrated trigger bars (what comes w/ G19's,G23's) to smooth or non-serrated trigger bars (stock on G17's). I also switch the trigger spring to the Wolf 6lb spring. This slightly lightens the pull w/out giving the mushy feeling when using the lower weight connectors. I've tried Lone Wolf and Glock 3.5lb connectors and found them to A.) give a slightly lower weight trigger pull and B.) give the pull and reset a very mushy feeling.

Are you comfortable in using a stock 9mm for home defense. Or, would you prefer at least the .40 S&W? I am not interested in a 10mm or .357 SIG. - I would stay away from 10mm and 357Sig. They are great rounds, but really don't do anything that a 9mm/.40/.45 don't already do, especially in the context of home defense. They are also typcially, more expensive to shoot. The question for an NJ'er is hollowpoint ammo. I've spoken to the NJSP on the issue. The LT I spoke with was very obviously pro 2A. He said if the shoot is considered justified, then you are ok. If the shoot is not justified and you've shot w/ HP, the HP charges will be added to whatever they hit you with. If you're ok w/ HP ammo, then go 9mm w/ modern HP ammo. If you're not OK w/ HP and are going to use FMJ, then go w/ a .40 or .45. I like the .40 in FMJ as it has a flat nose vs. a rounded profile of a .45. FWIW, I have Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr +P loaded in my and my wife's pistol.

My current thoughts, now, would be to get a Glock 23 GEN 4, and then maybe trade off the 23 GEN 3, and replace it with a Glock 19 GEN 4 or Glock 17 Gen 4 or another 19 GEN 4. - Pick your primary caliber and then go from there. This may sound funky, but the only reason why I got the G23 was to have commonality w/ my buddy (who has a Gen2 G23), my cousin (who has a Gen3 G23) and my local PD (who use the Gen3 G23). Otherwise, I'd stick to the 9mm Glocks. I will say this, the Gen4 G23 is BETTER than the pre Gen4 G23's. I've shot a Gen4 G19 and didn't notice much difference to my G19's in shooting "feel", where as I noticed an immediate difference w/ the Gen4 G23. I'm seriously thinking of getting a Gen4 G22 or G35. Having said all that, how much do you shoot? Are you comfortable shooting multiple shots accurately using the .40. I like the slightly bigger hole/better barrier penetration of the .40, but find, even w/ the Gen4 G23, shot to shot recovery definitely is longer as compared to 9mm, or even .45 for that matter.

Lastly, do you have any recommendations on a safe holster suitable for concealed carry?

MTAC and CTAC seem to be very popular for this.

I did the same, started with a G19 Gen4 and then bought a G21SF. I love shooting them both. I couldn't wait for the G21SF Gen4 to come out so I went with the Gen3. I have a thousand rounds through each with no issues. I'll be trying a 10mm conversion for the G21SF this winter.

I do not understand how someone could consider 40S&W inside of home defense range distance inadequate period... if you don't LIKE the round.. say you don't like it.. if you prefer 45.. 10mm.. etc.. just say so.. but don't act as if 40 isn't going to get the job done... because that is just silly..

I do not understand how someone could consider 40S&W inside of home defense range distance inadequate period... if you don't LIKE the round.. say you don't like it.. if you prefer 45.. 10mm.. etc.. just say so.. but don't act as if 40 isn't going to get the job done... because that is just silly..

I edited my statement for you.