Underdog

SIG 1911-22

I am starting to love this gun! I like the weight and the wooden grips. It is a lot of fun, and the trigger is awesome on it. It doesn't like the really cheap 22s I got from Walmart, but I had no problems with some of the better quality 22s. The aftermarket GSG magazines I got seem to work just fine in it.

I wonder if I can upgrade the sights and put fiber optic ones on it. Does anybody else have experience with one of these or its sister, the GSG 1911-22?

Hey i know those guys!

Has anyone swung by the outdoor range to see if it's still there?

I have not been able to get over there, and I posted a question in another thread and no response as of yet. I'll get by there later this week and give an update if no one else does between now and then.

Harry

I am starting to love this gun! I like the weight and the wooden grips. It is a lot of fun, and the trigger is awesome on it. It doesn't like the really cheap 22s I got from Walmart, but I had no problems with some of the better quality 22s. The aftermarket GSG magazines I got seem to work just fine in it.

I wonder if I can upgrade the sights and put fiber optic ones on it. Does anybody else have experience with one of these or its sister, the GSG 1911-22?

Since the gun is made by GSG, I would think anything a GSG can do would be the exact same.

My GSG 1911 22 is sitting waiting patiently for me with Ira at Legend.

95 days...waiting for permits. C'mon Old Bridge !

Jon,

I heard people are disabling the mag safety and or grip safety. have you done either ?

Where did you get extra magazines ?

Jon,

I heard people are disabling the mag safety and or grip safety. have you done either ?

Not yet... I plan on doing so as soon as I get home from my honeymoon. Also planning on adding a magwell and some new sights.

Cmoooooon weddin' monies!

Jon,

Oh that sucks. I know we talked about that at the rimfire comp.

My wife and I filed at the same time a few months back, she got hers yesterday. I'm still waiting. :threaten:

Did to call Debbie at the records bureau? Who am i kidding, of course you did...

Send me a pm once you get it. Maybe we can meet up and send a few down range.

Oh that sucks. I know we talked about that at the rimfire comp.

My wife and I filed at the same time a few months back, she got hers yesterday. I'm still waiting. :threaten:

Did to call Debbie at the records bureau? Who am i kidding, of course you did...

Send me a pm once you get it. Maybe we can meet up and send a few down range.

Yes, Day 31, 62, and 90. just waiting to be signed.

I wish this gun wasn't as delicate as it is. The slide seems delicate and the magazines would probably break if dropped. Other than that, it is one of my two favorite handguns.

I just purchased a Sig 1911-22. Haven't shot it yet and will probably wait until I change out the arched MSH for a flat one (ordered the same day I got the gun), which will also remove the mag disconnect safety.

It's my understanding that the dovetails for the sights are proprietary and at this time, only an aftermarket front sight is available. It is a FO from Dawson Precision and runs about $39.

Not sure what you mean by "delicate" - light yes, delicate - hmmmm, what do you intend to do with/to it? And the mags are metal, rather than the plastic junk you would usually get with an inexpensive rimfire.

Looking forward to some time on the range with mine and, probably, some rimfire action shooting.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The bottom of the magazine is plastic. Is that Dawson site that you found fiber optic? It just feels that if you banged the side of the slide it would break. I was comparing it in relation to a Ruger Mark II or III. It was a little tricky to get back together for me after I broke it down.

This gun is a lot of fun to shoot and I think you will like it. I picked up a 1911 holster for mine, too.

Just bring some quality 22LR with you. It doesn't like the Walmart cheapy stuff too much. But the Single Six is just fine with it! CCI, Aguila, etc.

The bottom of the magazine is plastic. Is that Dawson site that you found fiber optic? It just feels that if you banged the side of the slide it would break. I was comparing it in relation to a Ruger Mark II or III. It was a little tricky to get back together for me after I broke it down.

Sights? Three flavors...

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT:GSG+22

You're comparing apples to oranges. The Ruger receiver is fabricated from steel with a lightweight bolt reciprocating within the receiver housing. The GSG 1911 slide has to be lightweight so the blowback energy from a .22 cartridge can cycle the entire slide. It is a cast metal of some sort, and if you had the slide off and banged it on the edge of a steel table - yes it would probably break. I don't intend to do that.

As for the mags, a lot of mags have plastic base plates, even Wilsons. Don't think they are any less durable then any other, and plastic tends to absorb some of the shock when dropped during a reload, rather than transfer the whole "jolt" to the mag body. What I do like about the mags (and the gun as a whole) is that they fit regular 1911 gear. Mags in std mag pouches and guns in holsters. I am already "kitted out" thoroughly for 1911's, so I'll incur no additional expenses (except for a few more mags).

Enjoy. Not sniping at you personally, and I apologize if I gave offense. The gun just is what it is, and I think that's more than enough.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Looking forward to some time on the range with mine and, probably, some rimfire action shooting.

Bob, this Saturday at OBRPC there is a USPSA style match dedicated to 22LR's. Take a look at the OBRAMS for more details, it's very relaxed competition wise but up there on safety as all other matches, and just one heck of a fun day. As Smokin50 Dave would say, it's about the most fun you can have with a 22.

Harry

Bob, this Saturday at OBRPC there is a USPSA style match dedicated to 22LR's.

Thanks Harry. I intend to make one of those matches, but first have to get some range time with the gun (still waiting for the flat MSH also).

Usually try to limit myself to one match per weekend (about all my feet will stand), and this weekend is an IDPA match at Somerset. Going to try the revolver again.

Thanks again, and I will check out the rimfire match at Old Bridge.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I am a little frustrated because the thumb safety is cutting into the top of my Walnut grip and marring it when the safety is off. I have to send mine in for the Recall and I want them to address that, too.