Sign in to follow this  
rauchman

Tales of a Glock

Greetings,

Tis a tale of my 1st G19 that is now up to snuff!!!

This pistol was purchased in 2000 or so. It was purchased used at the Bullet Hole, and is a Gen2. This pistol was purchased after buying and then selling a Gen3 G22 in '98 or so. When I owned the G22, I couldn't shoot it worth a damn. Maybe it was being an alien platform from what I was used to at the time. Pretty much only shot a Beretta 92FS (wife's), a Beretta 96 Centurian (sold) or a Sig P226 (the wife has commandeered this one) and the Glock trigger was VERY different from these platforms. Anyway, I sold the G22, but the more I read about Glocks, the more I was convinced this was a platform that had some merit, and in a lot of ways, thought it was better in it's execution than the more traditional DA/SA types.

Was in Las Vegas and went to a place to shoot a FA MP5 (great fun that was!!!). Also checked out a G30 and was very surprised that I could shoot this little chunky monkey so well. When I came across the Gen2 G19, I knew I had to have it. I thought, this would be the pistol that I would master the Glock trigger on. I dry fired this pistol so much, 1st I broke the trigger spring. The biggie though was after, who knows how many, but my wife thinks it's somewhere north of 15K dry fires w/out snap caps, I shattered the slide in the breach area where the firing pin peeks out. This happened in 2009 or so.

P1010019.jpg

Glock made good on this and I sent the pistol to them and they sent it back w/ a Gen3 slide, moved the Trij night sigts over to the new slide and all the internals. What I did not like, was that the basterds switched out all the perfectly worn in trigger internals. The trigger went from perfectly worn in, to snatchy, grabby and HEAVY.

The good thing was that I had purchased some other pistols during the interim, including a Gen3 Austrian proofed G19 from Mike's Gun shop in Cliffside Park/Fairview. This became my main pistol since the Gen2 did not have a trigger I was diggin'. Earlier this year, I picked up a Gen4 G23 and the 1st thing I did was replace the trigger bar w/ that stupid dimple in it, to a Gen3 smooth faced unit as found on a G17.

I had one extra of the trigger bars and last night installed it on the Gen2 G19. Before installing it, I polished all the contact points. I've now fallen in love w/ the Gen2 G19 one more time. What a difference this unit has made as far as weight, smoothness and comfort. Forgot to mention, I Dremeled down the safety tab a bit, so when pulled, the safety sits flush w/ the trigger face. I've function checked this by..... dry firing about 100 reps last night. It works PERFECTLY!!!! And the comfort is greatly enhanced over A.) the normal "target" type trigger w/ the serrations and B.) the safey tab that sticks out a little bit when the trigger is pulled. This is the way Glock triggers should feel.

All my Glocks will now have this mod. Ordered trigger bars yesterday from Lone Wolf, as well as Wolff 6lb trigger springs. The normal trigger spring weight is 5lbs. The 6lbs spring works for you and actually lessens the weight a smidge. I vastly prefer this to the "-" connectors, such as the Lone Wolf 3.5lb and Glock 4.5lb (formerly known as the 3.5lb connector). The "-" connectors do lighten the pull, but at the expense of a mushy pull and a mushy reset.

Ok, I've done enough rambling....

Gratuitous Glock family shot...

From top to bottom... Gen2 G17, Gen2 G19, Gen3 G26, Gen4 G23, Gen3 G19

P3060022.jpg

Very nice family with some healthy sibling rivalry.

Thanks much!!!

I think one of them is pregnant and may give birth to another in 37 days or so.

Seriously, I can't stress enough how much I like the Gen3 G17 trigger bar w/ the slightly shaved down safety tab.

I'm very happy you are satisfied with you GLOCKs.

Me... I only rely on stock from the box GLOCKs for defense purposes. Just me.

Yes, I whore over my range/target guns.

How do I say this????

I have a smattering of a variety of pistols and enjoy them all. However, for some reason I find Glocks the most rewarding pistol to shoot well. For me, they were the hardest pistol/trigger setup to master (master is a relative term and the wrong term to use here, as I'm a decent shot, not a great shot.... still have a long way to go).

Just about all the other pistols I own (HK USP45F, HK P7, Walther P5, Sig P226, Beretta 92FS... actually, it's the wife's, SA 1911 Loaded, CZ75 SA .40, Ruger Mark II, Beretta Neos, M&P40... I think that's it) all have a degree of "easyness" in how they shoot as compared to the Glock, rather in how the trigger handles as compare to the Glock trigger. However, for me, once the trigger thing gets worked out, I find Glocks lend themselves very well to quick shooting, and they are more accurate than most give them credit for. Do I think they are the be-all end-all? No, I don't. But they get pretty close, as do a lot of other platforms.