Sign in to follow this  
joshua_g

300 AAC Blackout AR15 Builds

Anyone here try one out yet? Happy with it? What parts are you using for your build? I tried doing a search of this topic on the forums, but I didn't find anything. Just wondering who else is trying this out. I'm gathering 300 BLK parts for my next project. I have everything for the upper receiver except a handguard. So far it's all CMMG parts, except for my bcg (a FailZero bcg).

In theory all you need to do is change out the barrel of any ar15 to a 300 BLK barrel. You can also re-use everything else from an old ar15 (bcg, stripped upper, complete lower, standard magazines etc). In case you're wondering what I'm talking about, check out these links...

http://en.wikipedia....(7.62%C3%9735mm)

http://www.300aacblackout.com/

There is a flaw in that point. 7.62X39 runs like crap in ar's due to the taper of the round combined with AR mags. Reliability is bad. The 300Blk or 7.62x35 overcomes these issues with better performance and the brass is easily made from .223 brass. With that being said factory ammo is still expensive at this time. I may build one at some point but I tend to stay awau from boutique cartidges.

• Like 2

As you are in NJ, and therefore I assume you are not going to surpress it, you may want to look into the 7.62 x 40 from Wilson (the 1911 guys) as it offers better supersonic performance.

Yea that one looks really nice too. When I was researching .300 BLK I saw a few articles on Wilson Combat's project. I may buy one of those 7.62 x 40 WT barrels in the future too for one of my older uppers.

I got attracted to 300 BLK because I noticed that Remington and a decent sized list of manufacturers were going to work on it. I'm also very open-minded to other options too.

(off-topic) I really like that WT mdoular rail in those photos. Very nice.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/TRIM-Tactical-Rail-Interface-Modular-126/productinfo/TR-TRIM-12/

Resurrecting this old post with some interesting news.

DS Arms has a new 300 BLK upper at $320. People on www.300blktalk.com have given positive feedback on it.

http://www.dsarms.co...fo/DSZM4CBU300/

Also, Midway and PNW are selling ammo for 12.99 and 12.49. I think that in the near future Cheaper Than Dirt will be selling the Remington UMC 300 BLK ammo for cheaper than 12.99 (just a theory)

http://www.midwayusa...acket-box-of-20

http://www.pnwarms.c...px?productId=61

According to rsilvers on www.300blktalk.com there's a lot of new products coming in 2012.

There is a flaw in that point. 7.62X39 runs like crap in ar's due to the taper of the round combined with AR mags. Reliability is bad. The 300Blk or 7.62x35 overcomes these issues with better performance and the brass is easily made from .223 brass. With that being said factory ammo is still expensive at this time. I may build one at some point but I tend to stay awau from boutique cartidges.

300 blackout is pretty much the same as 300 whisper. While you CAN make ammo that is dimensionally correct on the exterior, the case head is not. As a wildcat, the base case it is formed off of is .221 fireball.

300 BLK will eventually be the 357 sig of AR ammo.

i think it's here to stay and will get cheaper and cheaper, but never as cheap as 5.56.

1. chris costa and the magpul guys like it. and whatever they like, people buy like crazy

2. it is nice if you want to run supressed

3. saami

4. big companies behind it and more coming into it every day

i think this will eventually be the "go to" .30 cal upper for all standard ar-15 lowers. but i think it will go slowly.

In all seriousness...

Why pay so much money for special, obscure ammunition when you can just get a 7.62x39 AR upper?

From what I can tell, this is almost the exact same thing, except $1 and it has a cool name....

Mainly because it uses ALL standard Ar parts other than the barrel...7.62X39 Ar's need proprietary magazines, and the bolts have a disconcerting habit of breaking on a regular basis.

• Like 1

Sorry, I was misremembering. It's not about case head thickness it's about case neck thickness after fire forming from .223 given what you have to do in trimming and what material winds up as the case neck. It's been a few years since I stopped giving a crap about the caliber. If I had a need for an ar-based deer rifle, or lived in a state where I could get a suppressor, I might care more. I see way too many people thinking it is some kind of super accurate round, or good for long range, which it isn't.

AS for the parent cartridge, if I can pick up loaded ammo form the factory for less than $20 a box, that's where I'd source my brass until I could buy commercial never fired brass for it.

If I was looking for a 200 yard AR style heavy hitting rifle that takes standard AR mags (just have to change out the follower), I would go no further than the .450 Bushmaster.

what about the .50 Beowulf or the .458 SOCOM round?

I like the 50 and 458 but if I were going to get an oddball caliber, it would be the 300black because this round is/will recieve a TON of support. Ammo is already 1/3 the price of 50/458 or even 6.8 for that matter. However I do agree with raz that I would probably need to live in a different state to really want to get one.

Sorry, I was misremembering. It's not about case head thickness it's about case neck thickness after fire forming from .223 given what you have to do in trimming and what material winds up as the case neck. It's been a few years since I stopped giving a crap about the caliber. If I had a need for an ar-based deer rifle, or lived in a state where I could get a suppressor, I might care more. I see way too many people thinking it is some kind of super accurate round, or good for long range, which it isn't.

AS for the parent cartridge, if I can pick up loaded ammo form the factory for less than $20 a box, that's where I'd source my brass until I could buy commercial never fired brass for it.

CMMG was selling it for under $20, and Midway carries factory-new brass.

CMMG was selling it for under $20, and Midway carries factory-new brass.

I know. My point was that with commercial brass available, I wouldn't worry about wildcatting and parent brass as a pro or con. However, if you are thinking TEOTWAWKI type stuff where somehow in your head you magically keep all your reloading gear accessible, and .300 whatever somehow has more merit because you can form it form plentiful .223 brass, you should rethink that (well all of it probably, it isn't horribly realistic), but would you rather have .223 brass you can reload multiple times, or .300 blackout made form .223 that has to either be loaded light or will have the case neck split after a use or three?

If someone is teotwawki inclined, then they have likely converted a ton already in advance im thinking.

I was going to say rational, but lets perhaps say logical TEOTWAWKI types probably understand that absent laws to the contrary, a nice heavier bonded core .223 will take dear just fine and that most of those laws are there for the stupid an lazy who can't be bothered to understand the difference between a 40gr varmint round and a 68gr bonded core round. It's not a great round for the job, but it will get the job done fairly well without a lot of inventory control. You can also reload it with minimal gear since you aren't dealing with converting a cartridge.

Lots of TEOTWAWKI types like using it as an excuse to buy stuff, and they feel the need to harp about how "this purchase will be the deciding factor between life or death! I see dead people around me, and the walking corpses, they are the ones who don't own X!"

I know. My point was that with commercial brass available, I wouldn't worry about wildcatting and parent brass as a pro or con. However, if you are thinking TEOTWAWKI type stuff where somehow in your head you magically keep all your reloading gear accessible, and .300 whatever somehow has more merit because you can form it form plentiful .223 brass, you should rethink that (well all of it probably, it isn't horribly realistic), but would you rather have .223 brass you can reload multiple times, or .300 blackout made form .223 that has to either be loaded light or will have the case neck split after a use or three?

there's also commercially-converted brass out there..a place named Brad's sells converted LC brass for 150/K, which is the route i'm going to go. I'll get a couple of boxes of factory just to work it in, then reload. Even though the Supressor isnt an option i;m still going to work up a subsonic load, using cast bullets which i want to use for Boar.