Ray Ray

1911 mags, what's the deal?

I have just one single-stack 1911 for target shooting. I normally use the McCormick 8-round stainless steel. However, this pistol (which had much gunsmith attention early on to be sure it always works) has never had a problem with any other magazine I have tried, including the original Colt it came with and some 7-round aftermarkets I have found around. So I think reliability depends on the particular pistol as well as the magazines.

Update:

Used some Ed Brown 8 packs, Chip McCormick 8 rounders (blue) and the Springfield Armory standard 7 rounders. I found out that the magwell is to big for the Chip McCormick 10 rounders as it wouldn't seat in the pistol. I just picked up a Wilson Combat 47D 8 rounder and 10 rounder. The 10 rounder does fit so yay!

Update:

Used some Ed Brown 8 packs, Chip McCormick 8 rounders (blue) and the Springfield Armory standard 7 rounders. I found out that the magwell is to big for the Chip McCormick 10 rounders as it wouldn't seat in the pistol. I just picked up a Wilson Combat 47D 8 rounder and 10 rounder. The 10 rounder does fit so yay!

If you will be using Chip 10 rounders and they don't full seat in your gun, trim some of the basepad until they fit.

If you will be using Chip 10 rounders and they don't full seat in your gun, trim some of the basepad until they fit.

Thanks Ronny, I'll stick with the Wilson Combat 10-rounders. Although the Chips look nicer.

Okay, here's another question. Are the 10 rounders strictly for competition or do some use them for home defense?

In general they are as reliable. Except the wilsons. Like I have stated previously, their little welded on stop seems tough, until the weld breaks form repeated impact on insertion. I've seen way more of them fail than I am comfortable with.

If I were going to go with a 10 rounder for self defense, tripp mags.. no question, as good or better build quality on the tube, nice follower design, especially in .45, and the basepad as insertion stop on theres is spot on and as far as I have seen does not have the issue with needing trimming in some guns that the CMC does.

Also, despite virgil's house burning down, the business is fine and still getting stuff to customers.

Update:

All magazines worked today. So far haven't had a bad magazine yet.

Ed Brown 8 pack

Wilson Combat 47D

Wilson Combat 10 rounder

Springfield Armory 7 rounders

Chip McCormick 8 rounders

Sig Sauer 8 rounders

all passed!