cnk

FID change of address question

I've searched and haven't really found anything on the forums that addresses my specific situation. I'm moving at the end of September in with my folks until our new house is constructed. The new house is targeted for completion in December. My folks live in Marlboro and the new house is in Monroe. I've read where 2 folks in Marlboro took almost 3 months to get their FID cards. Is it even worth it for me to submit for a change of address in Marlboro and then do it all over again when I move to Monroe? Or should I just wait until I'm in Monroe and do it once?

well you cant take anything home unless your addr on the FID & License match, put it that way.

remember you can always purchase ammo online either way, so if you dont intend on purchasing any new firearms in the mean time then just wait till the permanent more. (IMO)

Can you change your address on your DL to the Monroe address if you are not yet occupying the home? Personally I would try to change the DL and the FID to the home I would be moving to but I don't know the legality of that. If your not going to pick something up you may be better just holding off until you occupy the new house. For some areas it would take longer to get a new card then it would for the new home to be built.

How effed up is that: it may take longer to get piece of paper then to build a house.

The new house is a new construction so the address doesn't even technically exist nor a Certificate of Occupancy so I don't think I can change my address to the Monroe address. I've already gone on a bit of a buying spree picking up some rifles that I was thinking about so I think I'm good for a little while. I'm thinking the best thing to do is to wait until I'm in the Monroe house since it would really suck to be moved in, but still waiting for my FID to come in from Marlboro only to do it all over again.

Thanks for the advise guys.

The new house is a new construction so the address doesn't even technically exist nor a Certificate of Occupancy so I don't think I can change my address to the Monroe address. I've already gone on a bit of a buying spree picking up some rifles that I was thinking about so I think I'm good for a little while. I'm thinking the best thing to do is to wait until I'm in the Monroe house since it would really suck to be moved in, but still waiting for my FID to come in from Marlboro only to do it all over again.

I think that may be your best bet, I recently moved to Monroe from East Brunswick and from talking with new neighbors and friends, it appears that Monroe is not quite motivated to expedite FIDs and PPL's claiming staffing shortages.So be prepared to wait.

I don't see how you could change your address to the new one until you close on the property and actually move in. What happens if your deal for your house falls through for some reason? - not trying to wish bad luck on you in anyway, but anything could happen.

Unless you suspect the closing may be delayed for an extended priod of time, you're probably best off waiting it out until you get to your new address.

one thing you can do is make a copy of your card than you still can buy ammo and handle guns in the stores . i live in monroe also . the last 2 times i put in for hand gun permits it took about 30 days and about 1 week for an extension . Bob

I don't see how you could change your address to the new one until you close on the property and actually move in. What happens if your deal for your house falls through for some reason? - not trying to wish bad luck on you in anyway, but anything could happen.

Unless you suspect the closing may be delayed for an extended priod of time, you're probably best off waiting it out until you get to your new address.

Yeah. . that's what I'm saying. The new house doesn't even have a CO yet so I'm just going to wait until I'm moved into it at the end of the year. Hopefully the process won't take too long once I'm there. It took about 3 months for me to get my initial FID from Hopewell.

I'm not worried about ammo at this point. I've stocked up on handgun and rifle ammo. . .enough to last me quite a while. I was more concerned with whether or not it made sense to apply for a change of address only to do it again less than 3 months later. If Marlboro PD processed within the 30 day window, it would have been a no brainer, but it seems like it's hit or miss with them lately. I've not lived in Marlboro in over 7 years so I haven't spoken to any of my contacts in the local PD in a while since I was an EMT.

well you cant take anything home unless your addr on the FID & License match, put it that way.

As long as you don't change your DL..then the 2 will match...until you're ready with your final destination.

{I know, preaching to the choir...but change of address should not = going thru entire process all over again.}

Geez, isn't this a no brainer?

Don't change your driver's license until you move to your permanent address. You have three months, and that is hard for authorities to pin down the date. I've gone six months on an out of state license, try to avoid being pulled over, but how many times has and LEO asked you if the address on your current license is your current address?

Blue

P.S. Of course, this goes for any vehicle registrations also, you don't want to explain a document discrepancy at a road stop