dgstinner

Thinking of building an AR

I'm debating between buying a S&W M&P-15 ORC or building an AR. If I build one, I'll build the lower and either purchase a full upper or build one, depending on how difficult and how expensive the tools are. The lower would be a Spike's Tactical stripped lower (cosmetic blemish) with the PSA MOE lower build kit.

Should I get the S&W or attempt to build an AR?

One of the things holding me back from ordering the lower right now is that the nearest FFL to me is Efinger's in Bound Brook and I consider them a ripoff. They charge way too much for stuff I can get cheaper elsewhere. Their transfer fee, the last time I checked, would be about as much as the stripped lower receiver is by itself. When I purchased my 9mm S&W and my Ruger 22/45 from Bud's Gun Shop, I had them shipped to a small FFL in Millstone, NJ because they were a preferred vendor. I'd like to find an FFL closer to where I live, if possible, and have the lower sent there, if the transfer fee is reasonable.

Does anyone know if an FFL in/near Somerset County where I can have the lower shipped to, that won't want $60+ in a transfer fee? I was thinking about stopping by the new Heritage Guild in Branchburg and asking if they would except the lower and how much they would charge for the transfer.