Sign in to follow this  
Crowbar911

Hunter Educational Courses - Shotgun/rifle

So I am attending the hunter educational course at Fort Dix range 14 on 11/6 for shotgun and rifle.

I have a 10/22 that I plan on bringing, but I don't have a shotgun, nor have I ever fired one.

I saw on the website that the state will provide one for use, but I have never held one except my Father in Laws old one (single shot breakaway with no safety).

What is involved in the field test? Some sort of measure of accuracy, or basic safe handling of the firearm (4 rules)?

• Like 1

So I am attending the hunter educational course at Fort Dix range 14 on 11/6 for shotgun and rifle.

I have a 10/22 that I plan on bringing, but I don't have a shotgun, nor have I ever fired one.

I saw on the website that the state will provide one for use, but I have never held one except my Father in Laws old one (single shot breakaway with no safety).

What is involved in the field test? Some sort of measure of accuracy, or basic safe handling of the firearm (4 rules)?

You should reread the guidelines. You are not allowed to bring your own rifle. You must use the muzzle loader provided for you!

You should reread the guidelines. You are not allowed to bring your own rifle. You must use the muzzle loader provided for you!

I just printed out the confirmation, It quotes -

"Firearm students are allowed to bring there own firearm or they can use the states firearms. The state will supply all ammunition. It is recommended that you bring ear and eye protection".

The regulations state that there is a written and live fire exam. The written portion is not a problem, nor the rifle. Im more worried about being proficient with a shotgun since I have never fired one.

I just printed out the confirmation, It quotes -

"Firearm students are allowed to bring there own firearm or they can use the states firearms. The state will supply all ammunition. It is recommended that you bring ear and eye protection".

The regulations state that there is a written and live fire exam. The written portion is not a problem, nor the rifle. Im more worried about being proficient with a shotgun since I have never fired one.

They are much more concerned if you are safe with the firearms than if you are good and can produce results. You dont even need to break the clay targets to be certified in shotgun as long as you are safe.

On the rifle topic- I would not bring my own. They single load all of the cartridges, so you have absolutely no benefit from using a magazine fed rifle. Couple this with the fact that they always want your action open, and the 10/22 has no last shot hold open feature from the factory, and I would definitely not bring it.

Please - as others have said, just use the provided firearms. It's easier on everyone, especially you.

Don't worry about the shotgun or the rifle or the muzzle loader section. Just follow the instructions they give you. It's really about safe handling of a firearm, not about accuracy at all.

Please - as others have said, just use the provided firearms. It's easier on everyone, especially you.

Don't worry about the shotgun or the rifle or the muzzle loader section. Just follow the instructions they give you. It's really about safe handling of a firearm, not about accuracy at all.

Agreed. Don't bother bringing your rifles. Bow is a different story but you're not going for that.

You don't need to bring your own firearm as others have noted. The impetus of the "Hunter Safety" course is on SAFETY. Not so much proficiency with a firearm. It's geared so a 10 year-old can pass. The precept is education. Be safe, that's what they'll look for in any field test. The instructors are there to help you achieve your objective, not fail you.

why is everyone saying not to bring your own firearm? I am going sunday for shotgun up in chester and was planning on bringing my 870.

Because we've done it before. But it's ok - feel free to make your own mistakes and learn your own lessons in life and not benefit from the experience of others. You certainly won't be the first person to do so nor will you be the last. Just saying.

Because we've done it before. But it's ok - feel free to make your own mistakes and learn your own lessons in life and not benefit from the experience of others. You certainly won't be the first person to do so nor will you be the last. Just saying.

:icon_rolleyes: im obviously asking for some advice, and some reason on the topic. thanks for the quick response though. :good:

why is everyone saying not to bring your own firearm? I am going sunday for shotgun up in chester and was planning on bringing my 870.

In the case of the OP, he was looking to bring a 10/22 with him, which wouldn't work for the course. They use a muzzleloader for the shooting part of the rifle course.

In your case, I would agree with everyone else and tell you to leave your shotgun home. The state provides plenty of shotguns and the ammo during the course for everyone in the class to use. When everyone brings their own shotgun with them, it just slows everything down. The instructors have shotguns they use in the class and it's just faster and easier to use the ones they provide. I recently observed a hunters ed class over at Clinton WMA, and a bunch of people brought their own shotguns and it was obvious that things slowed down quite a bit, while each person stepped up in line, had to open their gun case, get their gun out, the instructor had to check it and etc, etc, etc. The guys that just used the instructor provided shotguns were just zipping through and getting done quickly. As already mentioned earlier in the thread, the instructors are not observing how accurate or good of a shot you are... they are just merely looking to make sure that you can SAFELY operate the shotgun. Even if you miss every single shot, you're still going to pass (as long as you show that you can safely operate the gun).

In the case of the OP, he was looking to bring a 10/22 with him, which wouldn't work for the course. They use a muzzleloader for the shooting part of the rifle course.

In your case, I would agree with everyone else and tell you to leave your shotgun home. The state provides plenty of shotguns and the ammo during the course for everyone in the class to use. When everyone brings their own shotgun with them, it just slows everything down. The instructors have shotguns they use in the class and it's just faster and easier to use the ones they provide. I recently observed a hunters ed class over at Clinton WMA, and a bunch of people brought their own shotguns and it was obvious that things slowed down quite a bit, while each person stepped up in line, had to open their gun case, get their gun out, the instructor had to check it and etc, etc, etc. The guys that just used the instructor provided shotguns were just zipping through and getting done quickly. As already mentioned earlier in the thread, the instructors are not observing how accurate or good of a shot you are... they are just merely looking to make sure that you can SAFELY operate the shotgun. Even if you miss every single shot, you're still going to pass (as long as you show that you can safely operate the gun).

What he said. There's no reason to bother bringing your gun and it slows down the process.

What he said. There's no reason to bother bringing your gun and it slows down the process.

And you have to go and get your gun from the car after the field walk through and then wait on the end of the line, etc etc. Agreed with above, it slows the process greatly.

Sorry for being me but - believe us when we say, leave the firearms at home, it's way easier. For bow, you HAVE to bring your own bow AND you have to show real proficiency using it. Bow is NOT just a safety evaluation, bow is an everything evaluation, they evaluate your equipment, you, your ability to hit the target accurately, etc. Bow is difficult, but you and OP were not asking about bow.

My 2 cents.

At Cherry Ridge for Hunter's Ed, they also had a single shot bolt action 22 for the rifle section of the course in addition to the muzzle loader. Again, still not worth it to bring your own for all of the above reasons.

Point... - if anyone is going to ONLY take the shotgun, you would be well advised to take the rifle as well (vice versa too). It will merely take you another 5 or 10 minutes (in general) and is as easy to do as the shotgun section. May as well get both of them done at the same time.

For bow, you HAVE to bring your own bow AND you have to show real proficiency using it. Bow is NOT just a safety evaluation, bow is an everything evaluation, they evaluate your equipment, you, your ability to hit the target accurately, etc. Bow is difficult, but you and OP were not asking about bow.

Dan,

I just took the bow course about 3 weeks ago and you're right about having to bring your own bow and have to show proficiency. The only thing I'll disagree with you on, is on the difficulty. I found passing the bow shooting portion of the course pretty easy. Then again, I am a member at a range that has a great archery range as well, so I did practice quite a bit before the course. Before a couple of months ago, I had never picked up a bow and arrow in my entire life... but I found it pretty easy to learn the compound bow. I was shooting pretty good at 15 and 20 yrds within a week or two of starting up. Now, if we're talking about recurves or long/stick bows, then that's another story... That takes a LOT of practice and skill.

Tony

Im a hunters ed instructor and can confirm that student brought guns are a pain. They slow down the process. I have to check it, and uncasing is when most of the safety violations occour. Your are much less likely to mess up if I just hand you a gun you go bang bang bang then hand it back.

From a students prospective, its also one less thing you have to lug around and clean at the end of the day. You arent shooting in a competition so having your own pride 'n joy doesnt matter. We even have iddy bitty youth guns for the young ones.

well guys took my class up in black river yesterday and passed with flying colors (shotung/muzzleloader). im pretty siked for december been reading my njf&w digest. also thanks for the words of wisdom as far as also taking muzzleloader, wasnt originally going to take it but last minute decided too and im glad i did.