Mexican_Hippie

Travelling to NJ for work

I'm travelling to NJ for a few days (Tue-Thur) each week for work (on and off from now through the Spring). I always research when I'm going to a new state, but usually end up having reciprocity so don't worry about it.

I've looked through the NJ laws and came up with this. Am I missing anything or wrong on anything that's obvious?

1) Bringing handguns and carrying on my Texas CHL is a no go, unless I'm joining the mafia

2) Bringing handguns at all is pretty much a no go.

3) Bringing handgun hollowpoint ammo is pretty much a no go.

4) Bringing a 870 pump action is OK, as long as it's factory with no Knoxx stocks, etc..

5) Bringing shotgun ammo is OK, and I can't buy it here without a FID card

6) Transporting an 870 and ammo from the airport to the hotel is OK, as long as it's separate and locked in the trunk.

7) I can load up my 870 and leave it in the hotel, but can't take it anywhere (ie can't leave in the car at work location).

8) No BB guns either (Is this factual? I question this since I read it on the web.)

I just want to make sure I understand the rules.

I'm travelling to NJ for a few days (Tue-Thur) each week for work (on and off from now through the Spring). I always research when I'm going to a new state, but usually end up having reciprocity so don't worry about it.

I've looked through the NJ laws and came up with this. Am I missing anything or wrong on anything that's obvious?

1) Bringing handguns and carrying on my Texas CHL is a no go, unless I'm joining the mafia -Correct

2) Bringing handguns at all is pretty much a no go. pretty much

3) Bringing handgun hollowpoint ammo is pretty much a no go. Home, Range and hunting only

4) Bringing a 870 pump action is OK, as long as it's factory with no Knoxx stocks, etc.. Pump shotguns have almost no limitations

5) Bringing shotgun ammo is OK, and I can't buy it here without a FID card You can legally buy shotgun ammo without FPID, some stores are asking for FPID for all ammo purchases

6) Transporting an 870 and ammo from the airport to the hotel is OK, as long as it's separate and locked in the trunk. Getting into the danger zone, see below

7) I can load up my 870 and leave it in the hotel, but can't take it anywhere (ie can't leave in the car at work location). See Below

8) No BB guns either (Is this factual? I question this since I read it on the web.) BB guns are no different than real firearms as far as NJ is concerned

I just want to make sure I understand the rules.

I assume you're going to a hotel an having a long term lease there? The reason is, to have ANY gun in NJ, long or hand requires that you have a home or residence where it is legal for you to possess. If you see the details of the Revell case, FOPA did not protect him and NJ nailed him for having the gun in his hotel room. The case was ultimately dismissed but it really should serve as a warning to be cautious. In NJ, if you do not have a Firearms Purchaser ID, you may only have a long gun at your home, a range, a business you own, a gunsmith, hunting or travel between those places. In NJ without a handgun carry permit, you may only have a handgun at your home, a range, a business you own, a gunsmith, hunting or travel between those places. The issue comes in that is your hotel room a residence? If you sign a long term lease, certainly. If it changes week to week, you're asking for trouble and it is up to interpretation. Some will argue it is, I argue that it's up to a prosecutor to decide and you don't want to be in that position.

My advice would simply be to get a good folding knife and leave your guns in your free home state. I'd hate to see yet another victim of NJ's draconian gun laws.

• Like 1

I assume you're going to a hotel an having a long term lease there? The reason is, to have ANY gun in NJ, long or hand requires that you have a home or residence where it is legal for you to possess. If you see the details of the Revell case, FOPA did not protect him and NJ nailed him for having the gun in his hotel room. The case was ultimately dismissed but it really should serve as a warning to be cautious. In NJ, if you do not have a Firearms Purchaser ID, you may only have a long gun at your home, a range, a business you own, a gunsmith, hunting or travel between those places. In NJ without a handgun carry permit, you may only have a handgun at your home, a range, a business you own, a gunsmith, hunting or travel between those places. The issue comes in that is your hotel room a residence? If you sign a long term lease, certainly. If it changes week to week, you're asking for trouble and it is up to interpretation. Some will argue it is, I argue that it's up to a prosecutor to decide and you don't want to be in that position.

My advice would simply be to get a good folding knife and leave your guns in your free home state. I'd hate to see yet another victim of NJ's draconian gun laws.

I appreciate the advice. I have a dozen or so decent pocket knives, but was worried those could get me in trouble as well. Unfortunately my hotel is not a long term lease. My schedule changes all the time so I play it by ear each week.

I don't mind jumping through hoops because I hate admitting failure to "the man," but this is pretty difficult. I'm working in Princeton so I may just stay in Mossisville, PA and just drive the 15 miles each way. Not a big deal, my house is 30miles from the office back home. That way I can at least carry when I'm not at work and just bring a pocket knife with me to NJ. There's a range about 8 min away from Morrisville too, Ready-Aim-Fire. I really wanted to make it work in Princeton, but it just seems near impossible for someone short term.

Yeah, I'm not going to bring anything into the state. It's just kinda ridiculous. I didn't realize y'all were being held hostage so bad up here. I feel for you that much more now.

I'm just having a hard time adjusting to not carrying something on my person at all times. It just feels weird.

I'm just having a hard time adjusting to not carrying something on my person at all times. It just feels weird.

As would most people that live in the free USA when they are made aware of the garbage firearms laws we have in the PR of NJ.

Harry

IMO, try to avoid staying in Morrisville or Bristol. If you are working in Princeton, stay in the Yardley area.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or slightly farther north in the Washington Crossing area

If you see the details of the Revell case, FOPA did not protect him and NJ nailed him for having the gun in his hotel room. The case was ultimately dismissed but it really should serve as a warning to be cautious. In NJ, if you do not have a Firearms Purchaser ID, you may only have a long gun at your home, a range, a business you own, a gunsmith, hunting or travel between those places.

Was he arrested for having it in his hotel room or bringing it to the airport which technically did not fall under any of the NJ exclusions--your home, business, to and from the range, gunsmith, hunting field, Etc?

The issue comes in that is your hotel room a residence? If you sign a long term lease, certainly. If it changes week to week, you're asking for trouble and it is up to interpretation. Some will argue it is, I argue that it's up to a prosecutor to decide and you don't want to be in that position.

This is what I would be terrified of--having the police & prosecutor decide it and the legal nightmare that would follow.

I was considering bringing a shotgun and .22 rifle if I visited NJ and quickly decided that it was not a good idea.

If you obtain a NJ firearms purchaser ID, you're good to go on long guns. You could even leave it in the trunk at work. That will take at least 45 days though and most likely 60-90.

Would NJ grant a NJ firearms purchaser ID to someone who was in staying in a hotel under a short term lease?

Or would they consider you a nonresident?

thanks

Would NJ grant a NJ firearms purchaser ID to someone who was in staying in a hotel under a short term lease?

Or would they consider you a nonresident?

thanks

My township required a copy of a utility bill, or a similar document, to prove residency. I think this was an added requirement, however, not part of the code.