Sign in to follow this  
RecessedFilter

Refinished AK wood furniture!

In speaking to David8613 and talking AK's a few weeks back, he told me he works on AK wood. My Polish Milled wood wasn't terrible, but it could definitely use some sprucing up. So one thing led to another, and I ended up sending my furniture out to him. I told him what I wanted, and let him work his magic with it and do the rest.

WOW, is all I can say right now! Although the wood looks good in the pictures, the stain looks SO much better in person. It is a nice dark stain, but not too dark that the grain doesn't show. He finished it with a few coats of polyurethane to give it that nice gloss, and finished it was!

I have to say a big thanks to GlennP for helping me in reinstalling the wood. Since there was a thin layer of stain on the mounting areas, he had to dremel them down to make them fit. Plus he helped me out with a couple things that smoothed the performance of the rifle as well. So thanks bro!

If I ever have any more wood on a gun that I want redone, he will definitely get the job. His price was reasonable and he got it done quickly and even sent me updated pics on it as it came along. If anyone is interested in getting this done, I would definitely suggest you talk to him.

Thanks again David, you're the man!

Enough talk, here is Celestyna. She is a polish variant with a milled receiver, you don't see those too often :D . And NO SHE ISN'T A $(@#!#$ WASR!!

BEFORE:

Not bad - a little dull and light

post-2200-0-35880900-1318558466_thumb.jpg

AFTER:

Dark, glossy and SEXY!

post-2200-0-92380900-1318558277_thumb.jpg

Upper and lower handguards

post-2200-0-99249500-1318558214_thumb.jpg

post-2200-0-92704800-1318558236_thumb.jpg

Buttstock

post-2200-0-80188100-1318558229_thumb.jpg

post-2200-0-12570900-1318558244_thumb.jpg

(rifle is completely NJ legal - welded brake, shaved lug, 15/30 permanently pinned mag)

I may have to try this out. I was debating sending mine out, or just doing it myself...

I would like to do it in the future, to learn how to do it and just do it for fun, but for now, it's so much easier having someone else do it. Especially since I haven't done anything like this before, I would have to buy a cheap set of furniture to practice on, then when I feel confident enough move on to my own.

That basement/stack of ammo crates looks familiar...

Yeah I can guess whose it is. It's a good thing we weren't fighting the Russians in WWII because then he'd be terribly conflicted.

Furniture came out beautifully.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

its possible to take pretty banged up wood and make it look beautiful, some of the wood i do have pretty bad dents or numbers stamped on the wood, using a steam iron i lift those dents up and the wood is beautiful and smooth again, taking your time, its amazing what you can do. these pics are iphone pics, they really dont give it justice, much nicer in person imo.

stripper applied

e32970a7.jpg

stripped

7b3ba838.jpg

just stain

29b3dd39.jpg

shellac

ce397892.jpg