Lunicy

deer check

I'm a beginner. To be honest I haven't even been hunting yet. (Since i was 14, in Indy) I understand the process, and was talking to a man who hunts regularly.

He explained alot to me.

He never mentioned what to do after the kill. I have seen signs for a deer check. Is this necessary, what is it for?

I field dress a deer, drag it out, then take it to the store?

Thanks

You have to tag it, then dress it out in the field. Tag it as soon as you know its dead.

You can look in the Fish & Game Digest for check stations near where you are hunting.

You leave the tag on, take it to that location, they weigh it, check it out, they give you a transport tag, and you are good to go.

Good luck!

It's best to figure out who is going to butcher the animal before you have a carcass. Some butchers will give you 3 bags of meat I wouldn't feed my dog, others will cut steaks, grind sausage and not rip off your back straps(tenderloins). Ask around, get a recommendation ahead of time.

if anyone needs a good honest butcher in the clinton area pm me and i will get you a phone number. he is shopright in clintons butcher but also has a deer shop set up at his house.

Please PM me, been looking for a guy closer than Riegelsville, PA.

You have to tag it, then dress it out in the field. Tag it as soon as you know its dead.

You can look in the Fish & Game Digest for check stations near where you are hunting.

You leave the tag on, take it to that location, they weigh it, check it out, they give you a transport tag, and you are good to go.

Good luck!

Only rarely when F&G themselves are there do they check them out and even less do they weigh them. Most of the time you go to the check station (which is almost always a private business) and the workers there take your tag an give you the metal band and that's about it.

Where are you located? If in need I can recommend a butcher. Anyway, you just fill out you tag and attach it to the deer when you locate it, if its a doe just push the needle from your license holder through her ear, if its a buck do it through the gap in the bones on the lower rear leg. Load it up and check it ASAP, if its too late and the check stations are closed you have to call the division and then check it the next morning. At check in take you filled out tag and they will take that and record the info about zones and stuff where it was taken, and then they will give you a permanent metal tag which has to stay attached to the deer. Don't get yourself too concerned though, it looks like the checks are going to be via computer come 2012.