Hey everyone. New handgun owner here but been shooting a lot the past 6 years. Anyway I'm definitely interested in USPSA but have a couple questions. First is I came across the list of approved handguns for production and I'm not sure if mine is on there. I have the M&P 40 Pro 4.25" barrel. I saw a couple other M&P's there but not this one and heard the 5" hasn't been submitted for approval yet. My other question is what holster would you recommend for my M&P? I have done some research but it seems there are a loooooot of options when it comes to holsters (DOH, fobus, bladetech.....). All help appreciated!!!

At the local level 1 matches, nobody is going to bust your balls about it not being on the approved list. It will get there eventually, so I wouldn't worry about it. For holsters, I recommend the bladetech DOH. Like ssomeone mentioned the IDPA kit is decent to start, but if you go that route, you amy want to pick up the DOH adapter. I've run with both a tek lock and belt slide attachment. I highly reocmmend the belt slide over the tek lock. It's just more solid.

Research continues and I see a lot of people use the Blackhawk serpa holster. I'm probably leaning towards that now being I get half off at blackhawk. Any feedback on the serpa?

The serpa with the button disabled is popular. With the locking button, it is less competitive. It's popular for 3-gun though where retention can be a bigger issue due to more physicality and shooting positions.

You can't go wrong with a Double Alpha, Cr Speed, or the Bianchi belt. Just pick one and don't look back.

Same with the holster. However I wouldn't want a Serpa. I don't feel like hitting the button to release it. It's really not a huge deal but you aren't a cop so you don't have to worry about anyone trying to grab your gun at a shooting match. Therefore you don't need a holster with retention. You want less to do to draw your gun, not more.

I suggest Bladetech with the Dropped and Offset (DOH). Comptach is nice as well, not sure if they have a DOH for it though.

The more research you do, the more opinions you will get, and you know what they say about opinions.

Like others have said, set aside some money for a decent belt. Generally I recommend against dropping significant money on gear before you shoot much. The two exceptions to that are magazines (cause you cna never have too many), and a decent belt. A good belt makes a crap holster as good as it can get. A bad belt can make the best holster crap.

I recommend CR speed if you are just going to shoot uspsa. The double alpha is nice and rigid, but it is a bit thicker and cna have some issues fitting through the loops on some accessories. The bianchi is not nearly as rigid, and IIRC they also put the hook vs. loop on the wrong side and can get scratchy due to the hook side facing you.

I have the Serpa and will probably switch to a Bladetech. I just don't like having

to think about pushing a button to draw. Yes, it is in a natural position and everything

but to me it is still another "piece" to the draw. It's even worse if you're

drawing a pistol that needs a safety disengaged. Now that's two buttons you gotta push.

I'd rather just focus on one action alone.

Just a quick update for anyone interested. I emailed S&W about the M&P 40 Pro not being on the approved production list. I got a reply back two days later saying they have yet to fill out and submit paperwork because they have not sold enough units to make the criteria. Also said it will probably happen around next year. Well, no big deal I guess. I'll just shoot L10 like everyone has suggested and I greatly appreciate everyone's help with my questions here.

I have the Serpa and will probably switch to a Bladetech. I just don't like having

to think about pushing a button to draw. Yes, it is in a natural position and everything

but to me it is still another "piece" to the draw. It's even worse if you're

drawing a pistol that needs a safety disengaged. Now that's two buttons you gotta push.

I'd rather just focus on one action alone.

That is stupid to say. Why not learn to use all the features you got instead of saying it is too much.

While the serpa might be a tad slower, the retention is worth it, especially on 3 gun stages or when you are starting on weird angles and gun can fall out.

Now as far as the rules for gun games go, if your gun comes with a safety, you must use it, esp when your first shot is a sub 3 lb single action pull.

That is stupid to say.

Whoa there hoss. That was a tad harsh. Not wanting to go through an additional action to draw the gun is just another aspect of gaming. Your "strange position" argument doesn't hold water as there is retention criteria for any holster used in USPSA. If zoid chooses to not have to make an additional motion in order to draw the gun, it makes perfect sense. You with your fancy, skeletonized, "lift it half an inch and out" holster hardly havea leg to stand on - I say the barrel plug on that type of holster should be 3" long, so you have to at least lift the gun that far to unholster it - whaddaya think of them apples? I'd consider a Serpa with retention only if I was OC'ing, but given where we live, that's hardly a concern.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1