I haven't seen a thread do quite like I'm about to do...

Tonight I am going on a vacation to Florida. I have my Florida CCW, so I will be taking a firearm with me. This is my first time transporting a firearm on an airplane so I took some pictures and figured you guys could critique my package. Sorry, couldn't resist. Also, if I did it correctly maybe pin this for others that are curious about how to pack their firearm. If I screwed up, just say so and I will edit my post, but I'm pretty sure I got it right.

My suitcase containing locked gun case:

2011-11-02125219.jpg

Locked case placed inside suitcase:

2011-11-02125457.jpg

Pistol inside case, unloaded. Two empty magazines, and cable lock for good measure.

2011-11-02125700.jpg

Ammunition, in original box, placed in suitcase between clothing:

2011-11-02125745.jpg

You should be good with that, and if anyone says anything the airlines do have cases that they sell at the ticket counters anyway, so no matter what you are good to go.

One thing you need to do also, is put a lock on the bag your transporting the firearm case in, A TSA combo lock will be just fine for that suitcase.

Give yourself an extra 30-45 minutes to check-in the gun and go through the TSA security check of you firearm and bag in addition to the time you would normally give yourself to check-in and get through security.

And you packed a 7 Seconds t-shirt. I saw those guys a million times back in my punk rock days. Walk Together..Rock Together.

I was wonderin if anybody on here would pick up on that. Now at least I know someone here has/had good taste in music. Lol.

Now, back to the guns...

Went very smooth. I went to the check in counter to hand over my baggage, and told the girl that I had an item in my baggage that needed to be checked. She just looked at me funny so I politely told her that I had a handgun in my luggage, and that it was in a locked case. After some color returned to her face she got her supervisor. He asked me to open my luggage so he could see that it was in a locked hard case. He tagged it and I was good to go. It took an extra 3 minutes tops. Now when I get to a computer I'll type up what I thought was gonna be a disasterwith my hand brace. Until the next episode...

HAHAHA. I couldn't see the caliber. That 45ACP ammo is heavy.

Nice Glock by the way... Couldn't you use the original storage case if you have it?

Thank you but, it's .40 not .45. The original case didn't have holes for a lock. I know the case for my G22 has atleast one hole. I don't know why this one wasn't good enough.

I was wonderin if anybody on here would pick up on that. Now at least I know someone here has/had good taste in music. Lol.

Now, back to the guns...

Went very smooth. I went to the check in counter to hand over my baggage, and told the girl that I had an item in my baggage that needed to be checked. She just looked at me funny so I politely told her that I had a handgun in my luggage, and that it was in a locked case. After some color returned to her face she got her supervisor. He asked me to open my luggage so he could see that it was in a locked hard case. He tagged it and I was good to go. It took an extra 3 minutes tops. Now when I get to a computer I'll type up what I thought was gonna be a disasterwith my hand brace. Until the next episode...

Yep, I remember the looks I used to get when declaring my 2 spear guns and dive knife when heading to the Keys or Caribbean. The word "Gun" seemed to propel everyone into a tizzy in those days, I can just imagine the expressions you encounter today.

Now, back to the guns...

You didn't fly out of Newark, did you? Everytime I checked a handgun in I had to get walked down to TSA, unlike Phoenix where they do it at the gate as you said.

You didn't fly out of Newark, did you? Everytime I checked a handgun in I had to get walked down to TSA, unlike Phoenix where they do it at the gate as you said.

Same thing for me, TSA BS at EWR and PHX I check the guns in at the ticket counter like I do with my bag, I just tell the agent to note that if TSA wants to check anything out I'll be in the Red Carpet Lounge having a drink to come see me in there. They never have come to see me.

Same thing for me, TSA BS at EWR and PHX I check the guns in at the ticket counter like I do with my bag, I just tell the agent to note that if TSA wants to check anything out I'll be in the Red Carpet Lounge having a drink to come see me in there. They never have come to see me.

First time I flew out of PHX, they didn't even look at my handgun. The second time I asked her if she wanted to see it wasn't loaded and she said ok and looked.

Flew out of Atlantic City.

Good to hear no TSA BS at ACY.

Thanks.

First time I flew out of PHX, they didn't even look at my handgun. The second time I asked her if she wanted to see it wasn't loaded and she said ok and looked.

Every time I fly out of PHX I just check my bag and my gun case, do the standard, I tell them I have a firearm and let them know it's unloaded, I only have XX LBS of ammo and the case is locked and ask if they would like to verify when I put the firearms card inside the case. Only had one guy ask me what I had and when I mentioned one was my lever action he wanted to see that being he shoots lever action, the handgun he wasn;t interested in. Other then that as long as I am not flying on the red-eye back I hit the Red Carpet Lounge or Presidents Club or what every they wind up renaming the place after the merger having my free adult beverages. I am going to like living out there half the year when I retire.

Excuse my ignorance, but this is CHECKED baggage, correct? You are not allowed to carry this on the plane,right?

I have to go to New Orleans for a trade show and I want to make sure I can bring my 3" XD9. Do I have to call the airline in advance? Do I simply lock up as shown above, put into my luggage that I intend to check in and that's it?

Does the locked case containing the pistol inside the checked luggage have to be attached to the suitcase? I placed my firearm in its own case last time thinking it had to be separate. $35 bucks each way. :icon_rolleyes:

Does the locked case containing the pistol inside the checked luggage have to be attached to the suitcase? I placed my firearm in its own case last time thinking it had to be separate. $35 bucks each way. :icon_rolleyes:

I have never seen any references anywhere even suggesting this, and in my personal reads of NJ statutes have not seen it either. However, I personally do this to reduce the risk of theft.

Safe travels.

I have to go to New Orleans for a trade show and I want to make sure I can bring my 3" XD9. Do I have to call the airline in advance? Do I simply lock up as shown above, put into my luggage that I intend to check in and that's it?

Definitely call the airline or check their website BEFORE you buy your ticket. Some airlines do not allow transport of firearms AT ALL. Many airlines also restrict how much ammo you can carry.

I see that as an advantage. In the "flying armed" classes we were told to request the airline's Ground Security Coordinator and I do this whether I'm checking the gun or carrying it. At Newark I'm always taken to a back room to show that the gun is unloaded (out-of-sight-of-the-public is a federal requirement) and then, instead of putting my bag on the conveyor belt, the GSC carries it to the TSA checkpoint and hands it to the TSA guy. He then waits with me until they clear it. If they want to open the bag I'm right there with the key. I don't know if its coincidence or intentional but every time they did open the bag (only when there was a computer in it!) it was done in an area where I could watch them. They then handed the key back after relocking the bag. They've never asked for the key for the gun case.

So EWR and TSA and you are there watching the TSA with your gun?? So you must be in LE being TSA policy for the whole airport is no civilians with the TSA when they inspect your guns. That is unless you departing GAA.

I see that as an advantage. In the "flying armed" classes we were told to request the airline's Ground Security Coordinator and I do this whether I'm checking the gun or carrying it. At Newark I'm always taken to a back room to show that the gun is unloaded (out-of-sight-of-the-public is a federal requirement) and then, instead of putting my bag on the conveyor belt, the GSC carries it to the TSA checkpoint and hands it to the TSA guy. He then waits with me until they clear it. If they want to open the bag I'm right there with the key. I don't know if its coincidence or intentional but every time they did open the bag (only when there was a computer in it!) it was done in an area where I could watch them. They then handed the key back after relocking the bag. They've never asked for the key for the gun case.

So EWR and TSA and you are there watching the TSA with your gun?? So you must be in LE being TSA policy for the whole airport is no civilians with the TSA when they inspect your guns. That is unless you departing GAA.

TSA wasn't checking the guns. They never asked for the key to the gun case. They opened the bags only because the laptops apparently (they said) look like bombs to the x-ray machines. My point was that, as far as I'm concerned, being walked down to the TSA screening area by the GSC was a benefit because, if they had a reason to open a bag, I would be there with the key so they wouldn't destroy anything. And again, I don't know if it was coincidence or deliberate but they always went through the bag in an area where I could see them from the waiting area that the GSC brought me to.

TSA citation on ammunition ...

Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

The complete TSA regulations traveling with Special Items, ie Firearms & Ammunition

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

You may be interested, here how they check your firearms in England! I almost had a hemorrhage when they walked in

HeavyDutyGunCheckers.jpg