AnthonyG

My AR Build

This is kind of a guide to new AR builders to really plan ahead and know everything you have to do on a build before you start.

Few months back I set out to build a AR and I wanted to do it with decent parts for under 600 dollars. The purpose of the AR was mainly plinking and partially wanting to be tacticool, because everyone has to have a AR. My main requirement as far as the build was I wanted it to for the most part be post ban compliant with little to no modifications needed. As far as parts I preferred a spikes lower because of the spider but I was open to whatever was priced the best and also had to be chambered in .556 . After all this was decided, it turned out AimSurplus had a blem sale on the spikes lowers so that sparked the start of the build. Here is my price break down and components how I "originally" planned it.

Spikes Lower 69.00

DTI complete upper 16" SS bull barrel 1/8 twist 375.00

Magpul MIAD Grip 21.57

Magpul MOE handguard 20.97

Magpul MOE Stock 41.97

Double Star Lower Parts Kit 55.00

Total 583.51

So not bad right under 600 dollars only mod needed to be compliant was pinning the stock. Wrong,first I forgot about the stock tube and spring had to order that after the fact cost me about 30 dollars. Then I noticed hey wait this barrel says .223 on the bottom, so then had to send it back then I am told they didn't send out the .556 barrels cause they were blemmed so I had option of upgrading to a wilson or getting a discount on the blem. I went with the blem and when I looked at it, safe to say I really didn't notice anything but light marks, I think I marked it up more in the build then how I got it.

After that mess then I had planned to change out the free floating handguard the upper came with, thats why I bought the MOE guard. Being this was my first build I forgot about all the smithing tools needed and I forgot about the delta ring assembly. Tools and parts I spent about another 90 dollars, changing out the freefloating barrel nut was a nightmare to say the least.

The grease used to hold this nut on must have been crafted by Zeus himself,I broke a table clamp, two strap wrenches,and almost broke my portable vice workbench which I just bought. Finally with the help of god and a monkey wrench I was able to twist the free floating barrel nut off.

At this point I thought I was free and clear for rest of build I was wrong, I had to dremel out the new barrel nut because it was a tad small since it wasnt meant for a bull barrel.The front retainer cap for handguard needed the same treatment, luckily that went smoothly it just took about a half hour of grinding.

Finally everything was assembled and I greased the new barrel nut and then everything went together perfectly here are the pics of the rifle and the god awful freefloating nut.

Final cost was around 650 after the extra parts and the blem discount, not bad but didn't know I was going to give myself such a hard time.

Also I have to give a big shout out to OldSchool for helping me with getting an awesome deal on the upper and the Magpul parts without his help I would have spent an extra 100-150 dollars on this and he helped me get the right chambered upper.

6323297505_4fca7900a3_z.jpg

6323824428_77b141cb23_z.jpg

6323824622_c29185a63c_z.jpg

6323298039_9ab9313f11_z.jpg

looks very trick with stainless barrel and colored polymer parts, good job there. do you plan on adding back up iron sights? i cant tell, what did you use to pin the stock, looks like a rivet?

Yeah its going to get irons of some sort soon, I put the red dot just to add to the picture of it right now. I used a roll pin but the pin is a bit bigger then the tube so it sticks out alittle, the punch took some of the black off the pin that's why its shiny.