302w

Question on firearms transportation

I have a FID, but I am 20. I was wondering if I could transport my dads pistols to and from the range legally, or if that would land me in jail. I dont like jail.

Secondly, if I can't transport them now, can I do so when I am 21 or do they need to be registered to me if in my posession?

I have a FID, but I am 20. I was wondering if I could transport my dads pistols to and from the range legally, or if that would land me in jail. I dont like jail.

Secondly, if I can't transport them now, can I do so when I am 21 or do they need to be registered to me if in my posession?

In NJ, you cannot "borrow" pistols. The only time you can shoot your father's pistols is when he physically hands them to you at the range. Sorry.

• Like 2

Jon has you covered, but if you want to take it 1 step further, in the safety of you own home with your father there, he isn't even allowed to hand you the gun to check it out, at the range or gunshop (Exempted Locations) it would be considered an illegal transfer. don't ya just love that..:icon_rolleyes:

Harry, can you post up a link/PDF/source of that please...

Thanks!

I'll check into that a little later, have a couple meeting to hit, see what I can fin when I get back.

However between now and then, it has to do with Handguns are basically illegal except when they fall under the exemptions, like transporting them to and from a range, or armorer for repair etc.

Looks like 18 to purchase in NJ according to this...I thought it was 21 .

As far as the handgun belonging to someone else, it has to be under direct supervision of a parent or guardian or with a FID. However this seems contradictory as the OP is 20 and the law says 18.

http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/njac-title13-ch54.pdf

13:54-1.5 Prerequisites for a permit to purchase handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card

(a) Every person issued a permit to purchase a handgun, or a firearms purchaser identification card, shall be 18 years of age and of good repute in the community in which he lives.

http://www.nraila.org/issues/factsheets/read.aspx?id=43

New Jersey - No person under 18 shall possess, carry, fire, or use a firearm except under the following circumstances:

1. In the actual presence or under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian, or some other person who holds a Permit to Carry or Firearm Identification Card (FID); or

2. For the purpose of military drill under the auspices of a legally recognized military organization and under competent supervision; or

3. For the purpose of competition or target practice on a firing range approved by the governing body of the municipality in which the range is located or the National Rifle Association and which is under competent supervision at the time of such supervision or target practice; or

4. For the purpose of hunting during the regularly designated hunting season, provided he possesses a valid hunting license and has successfully completed a hunter`s safety course.