ccrock

Suggestions for a new gun

HI all, I have a S&W 9MM and am looking to pickup a new .22 on Saturday. This pistol will be for myself/8 year old son. I need to make sure that it is not too heavy and will fit his small hands. I feel bad as he does not like to come to the range with the family because our guns are too big for him. I looked at the Neos and the Mark III. Any recommendations??? Hubby says to go with S&W .22 but I want something different.

If you already have a Smith Wesson M&P 9, it is a no brainer to go with the M&P 22. Same gun, in 22 LR. Great training aid, and good for anyone to shoot.

If it's out already and available then yes. If not a revolver in 22 is near impossible to beat.

If it's out already and available then yes. If not a revolver in 22 is near impossible to beat.

This exactly. I have a cheap Puma Single Action Army .22 revolver and it is very fun, accurate, simple to shoot and simple to maintain. Also, does it have to be a pistol? There are some great .22 rifle out there that are inexpensive and will fit him great. Marlin comes to mind for that. Just my two cents.

I would have have him hold each before you buy any of them, i would also add in the Walther P22 being it has a small grip also and my Daughter loves shooting it and it fits her hand nicely. The only thing I really don't like about the gun is the mag release, other than that a great little gun. I would also say the MK III would be a great choice also if it fit his had well, can comment on the other you mentioned or the one Maks mentioned being I have never seen them let alone shot any of them.

Some thoughts:

Walther P22, Ruger Mark III 22/45, Ruger Single Six, S&W 617

The Browning 1911-22, though pricey, might be really cool. I think it is pretty light and it is 80% of the size of a 1911.

For an 8 year old, you'll want something smaller to fit his hands better. I have an M&P22 and it's the same size as a full size 9/40mm. The Neos, Mark 3, etc may still be a bit big. The Walther P22 is smaller and may be a better fit. As always, it's best to have him handle some to make sure it fits well.

Well if a 1911 style 22 comes into play but I doubt it being his hands might not be big enough, however if so, don't overlook the GSG 1911, or the SIG if you like Sig's but they are the exact same gun with just different marking on the exterior. It's a nice gun, and whenever I get a chance to actually sight the gun in properly I might actually hit something.

Well if a 1911 style 22 comes into play but I doubt it being his hands might not be big enough, however if so, don't overlook the GSG 1911, or the SIG if you like Sig's but they are the exact same gun with just different marking on the exterior. It's a nice gun, and whenever I get a chance to actually sight the gun in properly I might actually hit something.

The Browning 1911-22 is considerably smaller than a regular 1911. The Walther would probably be the best bet, though.

Some thoughts:

Walther P22, Ruger Mark III 22/45, Ruger Single Six, S&W 617

Nix the 617. Sweet gun, but it's heavy (over 40 oz, says the catalog).

I have not shot one, so I have no experience with them, but the S&W 317 AirLite is a small-frame 8 shot 22 revolver that weighs 12.5 oz. I'm seriously considering one, as I'm looking for a small lightweight 22 revolver, hence the catalog on my desk.

I have a Ruger 22/45, and it's also a great shooter - one of those guns you know you'll never sell or get tired of.

Nix the 617. Sweet gun, but it's heavy (over 40 oz, says the catalog).

I have not shot one, so I have no experience with them, but the S&W 317 AirLite is a small-frame 8 shot 22 revolver that weighs 12.5 oz. I'm seriously considering one, as I'm looking for a small lightweight 22 revolver, hence the catalog on my desk.

I have a Ruger 22/45, and it's also a great shooter - one of those guns you know you'll never sell or get tired of.

On the two choices you just mentioned, the 617 is the winner. The Airlite is kinda like a female carry gun. The weight of the 617 is a non issue since your not gonna be carrying around all day in a holster.