Hawkin

Ruger 10/22 Tactical

I'm going to go against the grain here. I would say follow the above posts advice, if you NEVER intend to sell the gun. The last thing I'd buy in the secondary market is a home-modified firearm. I know that 10/22's are simple to work on and there is a myriad of aftermarket equipment out there to mod them. This is actually part of the problem. You end up with a conglomeration of parts from different manufacturers and when you have a malfunction, where do you begin? Parts from one vendor maybe don't work so well with parts from another etc, etc. So when I see one of these self-modded 10/22's for sale, I have to ask myself, why would the person be selling something he put time & money into, to make a personal statement? And I have to think that it probably didn't turn out as envisioned. None of this is important if you plan to keep this forever, or don't mind losing your shirt when you do go to sell it. Vastly different selling a self-modded firearm than selling something put together from a name gunsmith. Just be aware.

If you like the tactical, go for it (but you probably will find the trigger sucks). If you are a tinkerer, maybe building a 10/22 is right up your alley - just don't expect to recover the money spent.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Does anyone own one or shot one and like or dislike it. I'm looking to get a 10/22 and just wondering if its worth it. The tactial model looks like there is no need for any aftermarket parts to upgrade.

I bought my 10/22 for $209 from Dicks. I think that the base gun you get for $200 that you eventually spend $200 more dollars on getting it to the way you want it to be (Sights, sling, trigger). At the end of the day, you've spent $500 and darn it, it's still a .22.

If I did things over again, I would have gone with the tactical model, or I would have bought an M&P 15-22.

I'm going to go against the grain here. I would say follow the above posts advice, if you NEVER intend to sell the gun. The last thing I'd buy in the secondary market is a home-modified firearm. I know that 10/22's are simple to work on and there is a myriad of aftermarket equipment out there to mod them. This is actually part of the problem. You end up with a conglomeration of parts from different manufacturers and when you have a malfunction, where do you begin? Parts from one vendor maybe don't work so well with parts from another etc, etc. So when I see one of these self-modded 10/22's for sale, I have to ask myself, why would the person be selling something he put time & money into, to make a personal statement? And I have to think that it probably didn't turn out as envisioned. None of this is important if you plan to keep this forever, or don't mind losing your shirt when you do go to sell it. Vastly different selling a self-modded firearm than selling something put together from a name gunsmith. Just be aware.

If you like the tactical, go for it (but you probably will find the trigger sucks). If you are a tinkerer, maybe building a 10/22 is right up your alley - just don't expect to recover the money spent.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

People sell their custom 10/22s all the time. There are only so many parts in a 10/22, it's not tough to diagnose the thing if it doesn't work. About the only warning you give that I agree with 100% is that you don't start modding most anything expecting to get your money back out of it. As for why someone would sell their tricked out 10/22? Probably the two biggest reasons I have seen is that 1)They don't use it as much as they thought it would, but DO do something else, and would like to recover some capital to start a project more in line with their current interests, or 2) They build them like it is an addiction, and are liquidating a past project to fund a new one that differs only slightly (at least form the perspective of a shooter without that same particular affliction).

Unlike a car, the "go fast" parts for most guns don't inherently diminish it's ability to function reliably. The real question you should ask yourself when buying a customized 10/22 is why owuld you buy one that has had all the fun tinkering done if you actually want a custom 10/22? If you want to tinker, get the cheapest stock 10/22 you can. All you will really keep is the receiver and bolt. If you are going to throw away parts, they might as well be cheap ones.