checko

1911 problem/question

May not be a problem at all.

I am fairly new to firearms and recently purchased a used Colt 80 series. Im very happy with the gun as it is extremely accurate, no failures, and everything seems to operate as it shoud.....except every few rounds the spent casing will fly straight back and hit me square in the face.

Its nothing more than an annoyance now but if I ever needed to use it without preparing my glasses, a hot .45 casing to the eye would be rather uncomfortable.

Any thoughts on why this would happen? Extractor maybe? Thanks.

How used? Change out the springs on the gun as you should anyway. Don't know how many thousands of rounds the previous owners had.

When you say springs, do you mean just the recoil spring or main spring as well? It was used generously ill say. Some wear marks and after market add ons but barrel still in good condition

Right but I assume he meant to change all the springs to make sure everything is working right

That's a more complicated job unless you're a gunsmith/1911 armorer. Recoil spring is the main

one that needs replacement and is very easy to do since you just have to field strip it.

check extractor tension....

check ejector itself....

brass SHOULD fly off up and over the right shoulder....

:-)

...just 'built', a quotes for a reason......well a few months ago....a 1911A1......same thing ..a tweak of the extractor...cured it.....she shoots like a champ....1911's are a

great platform for tweaks....AND...

the 1911....is a VERY basic platform...BUT it can be finicky.....I am NOT claiming to be a 1911 expert...FAR from it... but when you look at operation

it is as plain as day....

YMMV....

Nick

I meant to change out all the springs. Detail stripping a 1911 is one of the easier if not easiest guns. No tiny parts, and everything meant to work. This is not a CZ or anything else with a bazillion tiny pieces.

Extractor/spring, and all else, cheap and easy, ensures reliability.

check extractor tension....

..a tweak of the extractor...cured it

What do you mean by a tweak? Is it something I could do myself? As I don't have any real gunsmithing experience.

I meant to change out all the springs. Detail stripping a 1911 is one of the easier if not easiest guns

I seen a wilson combat spring set that I think I'm going to pick up. Thanks for the info

Its ejection port is lowered/flared? If so, my bets on a combination of extractor/ejector shape

It's lowered...not sure about flared honestly.

I meant to change out all the springs. Detail stripping a 1911 is one of the easier if not easiest guns. No tiny parts, and everything meant to work. This is not a CZ or anything else with a bazillion tiny pieces.

Extractor/spring, and all else, cheap and easy, ensures reliability.

The series 80's have a few more pcs with the firing pin safety.