YWHIC

Gonna ask.. AR type pistols in NJ??

Posted 'over there' but want NJ feedback..

Ok.. I live in PA and shoot occasionally in NJ.. (range is bigger, outdoors, etc..)

Now knowing NJ laws for 'assault weapons'..

I know no 2 or more evil features exist..

my current AR's have pinned/welded BRAKE's and pinned Stocks. (per NJ laws with the threads and brakes portion)

Obviously the stock would be a non-issue with a pistol buffer tube..

I have mags that are 10 and 15 rounds for my AR's also. (pistol limit is also 15 in NJ).

I am looking at 10-12" or so pistol barrel and a pinned/welded BRAKE (per NJ law) on my virgin PSA lower with RRA pistol tube (or maybe Spikes kit)

What says the crowd..?? I don't want FLAME's, I just want FACTS..

From what I see it APPEARS GTG..

Anyone here own one and shoot it in NJ??

Barrel must be 16 inches total min. you could get a 14.5 inch barrel with a 1.5 in brake but as for a 10-12" barrel i would have to say no go. There is also a min on overall length but i dont know that exact nuber off hand but i think it is 26 inches

Pistol laws are different than rifle laws. This is the law you must abide by for AR pistols.

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at

least two of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor,

forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and

that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being

burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or

(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

You will automatically have #1, therefore the pistol cannot have ANY of the other features. I believe Bushmaster made one that's compliant.

Barrel must be 16 inches total min. you could get a 14.5 inch barrel with a 1.5 in brake but as for a 10-12" barrel i would have to say no go. There is also a min on overall length but i dont know that exact nuber off hand but i think it is 26 inches

He's asking about pistols, not rifles.

B. a semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following:

1. an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

2. a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

3. a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

4. manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

5. a semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm; and,

OK.. I see the #4 50 ounces maybe being an issue, and then item #3 the 'shroud'..

anyone got a work-around for that (besides gloves)

I just read quarterbores page..

smaller barrel and no FSB possibly... makes balanced and lighter.. hence no shroud really needed..

Thinking 7" barrel and no HG's may work to under 50 oz.. (which is 3.125 lbs).

This may become a challenge..

Upper about 1, lower about 1, BCG 1..

maybe a lightened lower with holes in the PG and anywhere else not detrimental.. and reduced weight BCG..

yeah, just read the BM Carbon 15 pistol page.. $6XX

This (and its identical predecessor from Professional Ordinance) are the only jersey-legal AR pistols (in .223/5.56) around.

And neither is in production any longer.

The Bushmaster may come back, but with the corporate changes and the factory move, along with the very limited market for this ugly duckling, I sincerely doubt it.

They are fun guns to shoot, and certainly attention getters at the range!

And they'll make great trench coat guns when the occupy movement comes to your town.

Holding it by the magazine well. That's the only viable option I can see.

I'm also not sure of the legalities regarding building an AR pistol from a stripped lower.

Would only be an issue if it was being assembled in NJ. He's building it in PA so that aspect doesn't come into play.

Would only be an issue if it was being assembled in NJ. He's building it in PA so that aspect doesn't come into play.

But what about form 4473? Doesnt that state whether the gun is a pistol or a rifle at the original purchase of the lower? If the lower is built as a pistol but it was bought as a rifle, wont it be considered a short barrel rifle?

But what about form 4473? Doesnt that state whether the gun is a pistol or a rifle at the original purchase of the lower? If the lower is built as a pistol but it was bought as a rifle, wont it be considered a short barrel rifle?

If he buys a stripped lower, that has always been bare, it can be transfered as a frame/receiver, which is also another option on the 4473.

You may buy a stripped lower and ATTEMPT to build an AR pistol. However, keep in mind that you will FAIL. :sarcastichand: Been there, done that. There is no way to get the weight to under 50 ounces. Perhaps, if you build it like the Bushmaster Carbon-15, then it will be light enough.

If you want to attempt this, the stripped lower will transfer on the 4473 as an OTHER (not rifle or handgun), BUT, when the call is made to the NJSP NICS Unit, the dealer will indicate that he is transferring a handgun (they only want to hear long gun or handgun), AND a pistol permit will need to be used.