Bully

What's the difference...?

What's the difference between the Sig models? Is it (as it seems to me) a barrel length/caliber thing. To my exceptionally un-educated eye, many of them look similar- ie: the 229 and the 226. Or is it something internal that I can't see in pics? Is it a single vs. double stack thing?

I am wondering as I am very seriously interested in one and yet can't quite tell the differences between them.

Thanks and keep the chuckling to yourselves!!! :sarcastichand:

C

p220 - classic series single stack .45 (came in other calibers but rare)

p226 - classic series double stack full size. 9mm/40/357sig

p229 - classic series double stack. slightly smaller than the p226. same calibers

p228 - classic series double stack. same size as the p229. essentially the same gun with a folded steel slide in 9mm only

p239 - classic series single stack...smaller (about the size of a p229) but thinner in 9mm/40/357sig

p232 - like a walther ppk in .380

p238 - smaller .380

p290 - subcompact polymer 9mm

p250 - polymer modular pistol. has a fire control unit with a serial number you can drop inside different frames to change the size. never really caught on

sig pro (sig2022 etc) - really nice polymer option in 9mm/40/357 sig

p224 - classic series, not yet released 9mm/40/357sig subcompact

what are you looking for? a lot of sig fans on here that can show you the right direction

• Like 1

Thanks, wsaraceni!!! That's the kind of info I need.

What am I looking for...? Good question.

The basics:

9mm- Ammo cost, availability of said ammo, familiar recoil

Metal Gun- I like the feel and heft of a metal framed gun

Good Ergos/Grip- Need I say more?

Use- Range time, possible comp. (local), HD

Looks- I like the way the Sigs look, a lot. I've held the 226 in my hand both in the Elite and some other model that I didn't take note of. They both felt great and I really like the look of them.

I am open to other suggestions. The Sig's are at the top of my price range. So, going for a 1911 is probably not going to work at this point. Most of them are too expensive. Also, for some reason, if I buy a 1911, I'd want to get a U.S.A. made gun. The Ruger is almost impossible to find and I would need to compromise on the ammo selection. The Smith and Wesson's are outta my league. So, I find myself (most willingly, I might add) looking at the Sig's. I looked at polymer guns from S&W, Beretta, H&K, and Ruger. They just don't do it for me.

Thanks for any input.

C

i really like my p226r in 9mm with the SRT trigger. if i had to do it all over again. i'd probably go the p228 non-rail route unless i wanted a light. just a classic sig that is getting harder and harder to find. its the same size as the p229 so if that is comfortable it'll feel the same to you. but any 226/228/229 will be great

are you looking new or used?

i recommend going the standard route with the SRT trigger. All the fancy models are just slight variations. the big thing to know is recently there have been a few changes made. and a lot of people get them confused

SRT or short reset trigger drastically shortens the reset between the shots.

short trigger is just a trigger that is thinner. shorter from the front to back

e2 (e squared) grips are thinner grips. i prefer the standard grips. if there are screws in the grips, they are the old style. no screws = new style

^^^Again, thanks for the info.^^^

This is what I've been looking for, information wise. Short, concise, to the point.

I'm going to look new, most likely. First firearm and I want it to be all mine. I am not all that sure of what it means to shorten the reset between shots? Definitely not something I'm at all familiar with. Something I'll look into, for sure.

C

I second the SRT Trigger if you can find it. I don't have it in my P228, but I've felt it on other

models and it's awesome. There are some decent 1911 offerings in that price range. Maybe the Springfield

Armory Range Officer? Also consider buying used. In my opinion a good condition used gun is just as

good as new. If any parts have to be replaced it's usually just a recoil spring which is cheap.

• Like 1

Another option is to go for the basic 226/229 without the SRT/Beavertail etc. Shoot some rounds, and then send it to GrayGuns (http://grayguns.com/) for their trigger and action enhancement packages. If you look on the Sig Forum you'll see GrayGuns comes highly recommended. My P226 USPSA and my wife's P228 are currently at GrayGuns.

I'd agree 9mm is a good start, name brand FMJ ammunition is between $10-$12 for 50 rounds if you hunt around for the special offers on the Internet. My preference (in order of most preferred to least preferred)is Speer Lawman 115/124gr, Federal American Eagle 115/124gr, Sellier & Bellot 115/124gr, Blazer Brass.......... Remington is near the bottom of my list as I find it has a lot of 'flame'. I haven't tried any of the cheap steel russian ammunition.

If you like the P226 then also consider the CZ75 models. Also on another thread that is active you'll see some discussions on striker fired options.

enjoy!

TheWombat

Pull the trigger all the way back and hold it there. The bullet fires and the slide cycles. To shoot again you let out on the trigger to a certain point. That is the reset. The short reset you barely let the trigger out and you'll feel it click. Pull again to fire the next round.

I'm gonna head to Ramsey Outdoor in Ramsey tomorrow later morning, maybe 10ish. Get there 10-10:30. If anyone is in the area and knows Sigs and would like to offer opinions in person, coffee is on me. I'm always up for an education.

C

P230? Precursor to the P232. Mag catch on the bottom, Euro style.

232's are also heel mag catches. Sig Exeter was pushing to have the 232 made here and they would have switched to an American mag release. That didn't happen and now there is the 238 for those that absolutely must have the mag release under their thumb.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

If you like quality, all steel guns, don't forget to look at the CZ line of guns. The CZ75B, CZ P01 are both excellent guns, with great ergonomics. The grips are especially good for folks like myself with short fingers. The Sig doublestacks are FAT IMO.

I'm gonna head to Ramsey Outdoor in Ramsey tomorrow later morning, maybe 10ish. Get there 10-10:30. If anyone is in the area and knows Sigs and would like to offer opinions in person, coffee is on me. I'm always up for an education.

C

The best person to talk to at Ramsey is Ron ( bold gentleman with a beard). If you are buying from them always negotiate. They are on the lil expensive side. Can get same firearms cheaper. Just look around. Use forum vendors. Good luck ! And Sigs are the best 8)

I have gotten some quotes from the vendors on here. I will be using them to my advantage.

I wish that they were closer. It would be great to support those that support me, however by the time I add up fuel costs to travel an hour each way, it'll negate a bit of the savings. If it's enough to justify, I will, however take the ride.

C

I have gotten some quotes from the vendors on here. I will be using them to my advantage.

I wish that they were closer. It would be great to support those that support me, however by the time I add up fuel costs to travel an hour each way, it'll negate a bit of the savings. If it's enough to justify, I will, however take the ride.

C

I know what you mean. I'm in fair lawn and , as you know , we don't have too many stores around. and with my work schedule I basically have to take a day off (which i cant afford )to go south.

Try Paterson Gunsmithing and gun store. They mite not have a look of Ramsey outdoors but George is a good guy and always ready to make a deal PLUS they have a small range in the basement :)