woodentoe

A first gun .22?

Hey folks,

I''ve got my NJFID app submitted on Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

I included a single handgun permit on the app, though I don't think I'll be purchasing one for at least the foreseeable future. But, the permit will be good for 90 days plus a 90 day extension so if I want to buy one in the following 6 months...I can. I've never owned a firearm and have only handled real firearms a few times in my life. I think the wise choice as a first gun would basically be the same type of firearm you would give to you son as a first rifle.... a .22 rimfire.

I figure that is the best way to practice target shooting and become a good shot with a simpler weapon that has affordable ammo.

But, beyond that....I have no idea what to buy.

I want to get a decent 22 rifle but I don't want to spend a fortune of money. I would happily spend a few hundred bucks (since I have to purchase a case to secure the weapon and maintenance tools and ammo) on a first rifle.

I'm thinking of progressing as follows.

Target practice with iron sights up to reasonable ranges, and then practicing with a scope for longer ranges (in multiple shooting positions)

From there, I will consider purchasing a shotgun for small game or home defense. Not until I'm comfortable with safety, handling and am a good shot will I try to increase caliber or purchase a handgun.

The 10 year old inside of me wants an M1 Garand (30-06), but that is a long way off.

I'm not as interested in "scary looking" guns, per se. I don't see the point of putting complex rail systems and lights and crap on a rifle if I'm a lousy shot who should be using a single shot...lol

Also, for a first weapon, I'm going to steer clear of semi-automatic rifles.

Lever, Bolt, or pump actions only to start out. I think I should understand the fundamentals of how an action cycles a round at a time before I get into gas tubes and such.

If you were buying someone their very first rifle (no or next to no experience), what would you get them?

Well, I was in that same situation 3-years ago and ended up with a Ruger 10/22 Carbine semi-auto. I know you said you didn't want a semi, but that's what I got. Check the local gunshops around you for their used gear. They always have used .22LR rifles for a good price.

Out of the box, the Marlin 795 is prob a better gun and is cheaper. Also has a $25 mail in rebate until the end of the year. I have one and love it.

Purchased it a few months ago. Not a single FTF/E. Put a cheap bi-pod and 22 scope on it and its accurate as hell.

• Like 1

For a rifle on the cheap, yes a Marlin 795 being they have the 25 dollar rebate still going is probably one of the better buys out there right now.

AS far as a 22LR handgun, I'd look at a Ruger MK II or MK III, or if you want to look at one in a 1911 style, there is the GSG 1911-22, I have both at the house and they are all great guns, I like the GSG better but the MK III my wife has is a tad bit more accurate.

I have a friend who regularly shoots at The Bullet Hole give me some odd advice. He said I shouldn't buy a rifle and that it is pointless to buy a 22. Just get yourself a 9mm, he told me.

To the more seasoned folks, this may soundfoolish of me to say...but that just sounds like too much gun for me right now. If the ammo is cheap and the arms are less expensive, I have a better opportunity to explore the sport without breaking the bank.

I have a friend who regularly shoots at The Bullet Hole give me some odd advice. He said I shouldn't buy a rifle and that it is pointless to buy a 22. Just get yourself a 9mm, he told me.

To the more seasoned folks, this may soundfoolish of me to say...but that just sounds like too much gun for me right now. If the ammo is cheap and the arms are less expensive, I have a better opportunity to explore the sport without breaking the bank.

Not sure the basis of his comments. He's entitled to his opinion, but I don't undestand why he thinks it's not worth getting a rifle and/or a .22LR. If he doesn't think a .22LR rifle or pistol is fun, ask him to stand down-range of me and let put put some rounds down his way. :hunter:

If all you are buying is one gun - and all you will ever own is one gun, and the purpose includes home defense as well as target shooting, THEN, I agree, a 9mm pistol would be a decent choice.

But this is still Amerika - even in NJ they don't restrict how many guns you can own. I would go with a Ruger 10/22 as a first rifle, should be right around $200 new. It's easily modified, you can do a bunch of stuff to it and customize if you see fit in the future. It's the Chevy 350 of the gun world - there are better, but there are very few that are more customizable.

If you would consider a 22 pistol as your first gun, then I would steer you to either a Beretta Neos (very very little felt recoil) or a Ruger Mark 2 or 3 despite the "alleged" difficult takedown and reassembly procedure.

Just for the record, if I had designs on an expanded collection, I would want to own the following.

.22lr pistol and .22lr rifle

Beretta M9 and HK MP5 (9mm) (I know the MP5 isn't NJ legal, but I'd like some 9mm carbine)

Colt 1911 and Auto-Ordnance Thompson .45ACP

an M1 Garand

and a Remington 850 Pump Shotgun

I like the idea of having a sidearm with a corresponding carbine of the same cailber. (3 gun?)

I don't hunt, but am interested in the sport. Unfortunately, I'm more interested in small game and the idea of harvesting squirrels and rabbits with a shotgun irks me....no head shots....eating shot.... :-(

I just went and handled a Sig Mosquito .22lr. I LOVED IT!!! Now I'm convinced I want one and a 226. They fit like a glove. I think when my permits come in, I'll spring for the Mosquito first, see if I like the way it shoots, then go with the 226.

Didn't someone recently get a 226 for under $500? From what I see, I can't touch one for under $700.

While I will agree, 22LR is the cheapest to shoot and I think ever one should have 22's in Pistol and rifle and a couple of each is nice, I don't agree that larger caliber guns are too much for you. While a 9mm would probably be the best to get into being it's one of the cheaper center-fire calibers it's just not bad to shoot at all. My wife shoots my .40 and 9mm and get this, my daughter who is 12 and 90lbs shoots them also. While she does prefer the 22LR over the .40 she isn't afraid of it all all and she shoots the 9mm when I let her like it's going out of style. She will even mag dumps the 9mm and thats a Glock 19 and not that larger G17 and it's a plastic gun with low weight, not a heavier gun that absorbs the recoil better.

While I will agree, 22LR is the cheapest to shoot and I think ever one should have 22's in Pistol and rifle and a couple of each is nice, I don't agree that larger caliber guns are too much for you. While a 9mm would probably be the best to get into being it's one of the cheaper center-fire calibers it's just not bad to shoot at all. My wife shoots my .40 and 9mm and get this, my daughter who is 12 and 90lbs shoots them also. While she does prefer the 22LR over the .40 she isn't afraid of it all all and she shoots the 9mm when I let her like it's going out of style. She will even mag dumps the 9mm and thats a Glock 19 and not that larger G17 and it's a plastic gun with low weight, not a heavier gun that absorbs the recoil better.

Please don't mistake what I've said. I'm not implying that fear of recoil or report makes higher caliber arms "too much for me." Rather, the cost of the arms and ammo, when compared to the amount of practice needed for someone who has ZERO experience in handling firearms. When I say, "too much gun" this is what I mean.

I have fired: .22lr semi-auto Pistol, .45ACP Colt 1911, 12 Gauge Pump Shotgun, M1 Garand (30-06)

I'm also a 35 year old 6' 300lb man. Granted, with a Ruger Mark III, I may look more like that viral youtube video of the fat guy with the fully auto glock, I'm looking to ease into gun ownership and not get heavily invested financially only to find out that I don't enjoy it that much.

Please don't mistake what I've said. I'm not implying that fear of recoil or report makes higher caliber arms "too much for me." Rather, the cost of the arms and ammo, when compared to the amount of practice needed for someone who has ZERO experience in handling firearms. When I say, "too much gun" this is what I mean.

I have fired: .22lr semi-auto Pistol, .45ACP Colt 1911, 12 Gauge Pump Shotgun, M1 Garand (30-06)

I'm also a 35 year old 6' 300lb man. Granted, with a Ruger Mark III, I may look more like that viral youtube video of the fat guy with the fully auto glock, I'm looking to ease into gun ownership and not get heavily invested financially only to find out that I don't enjoy it that much.

Ok, I got ya, misunderstood. By the way, when you look at this sport, guns are cheap, feeding them is what costs ya. :icon_mrgreen:

• Like 1

Ok, I got ya, misunderstood. By the way, when you look at this sport, guns are cheap, feeding them is what costs ya. :icon_mrgreen:

I should also state that my goal is to become not only facile with the function, care and safety of firearms...but also to practice my way into becoming a very good shot. I have no intention of buying a 'man-stopper' just to keep it next to my bed in case that unfortunate day may come. Rather, I want to try to master it and pass that knowledge on to my kids so that they learn to respect the gun and know what it can do. Maybe I'm being overly conservative here, but I truly want to take it one. step. at. a. time.

It seems logical to me that when someone is learning fundamentals of grip, stance, and shooting technique...it is helpful to be firing a round that allows you to do that without being forced out of register with your target through recoil. Isn't it a good idea to have solid fundamentals so that heavier recoil and report become a non issue?

Perhaps I'm overthinking the whole thing.

I should also state that my goal is to become not only facile with the function, care and safety of firearms...but also to practice my way into becoming a very good shot. I have no intention of buying a 'man-stopper' just to keep it next to my bed in case that unfortunate day may come. Rather, I want to try to master it and pass that knowledge on to my kids so that they learn to respect the gun and know what it can do. Maybe I'm being overly conservative here, but I truly want to take it one. step. at. a. time.

It seems logical to me that when someone is learning fundamentals of grip, stance, and shooting technique...it is helpful to be firing a round that allows you to do that without being forced out of register with your target through recoil. Isn't it a good idea to have solid fundamentals so that heavier recoil and report become a non issue?

Perhaps I'm overthinking the whole thing.

All the more reason to start with the .22LR. 9mm ammo is many times as expensive that .22LR ammo for practicing. Figure $200 for 1000 rounds of 9mm. For a 1000 rounds of .22LR that's good enough for praticing, you're talking $40 or $45 bucks, tops. Any 9mm will be great, but if you don't shoot it because of ammo cost, it's not doing you any good. Again, I'll suggest the .22LR, so you have something no too expensive that you can shoot and decide if you want to go further with the hobby.

You want it to practice form, stance and accurracy.

You want it to be inexpensive.

You have no plans to use for HD or SD, but could be used if required.

This screams .22LR all over the place.

I'm not a firearms expert, but a .22 is cheap fun and a starting point for the beginner.

I am in a similar situation as you are, although I do have a little experience. (jr. rifleman's club in high school and just plinkin' around with my dad back in the day)

I'm looking a the Marlin 60, Marlin 795 and Ruger 10/22 for rifles, and the Ruger Mark III 22/45, S&W 22A, and Sig P226 Classic 22 for semi auto pistols.

For the rifle, the Marlin's are inexpensive and accurate, while the Ruger 10/22 is more expensive - there are lots of aftermarket upgrades available.

For the pistols, the Mark III and S&W are a lot less expensive than the P226, but the Sig P226 can be converted to a 9mm, .40 S&W or .357 - so you can train on cheaper than dirt .22's.

There are a lot more choices available, but these are the ones that the shops have been recommending and it looks like you can't go wrong with any of them.

You can trade in and try others in the future. Your first certainly won't be your last.

No.

Then you need help for your neuroses.

Just Kidding!!!!

Are you north or south jersey? Reason being you could meet up with some of the guys on the forum and develop some lousy habits after which you could then take a course with some of the forum sponsors to correct.

I'm assuming you've read and know the four rules already.

I live In the Woodbridge area. I'm taking the basic pistol class at shootnj this week. And yes, I've read the four rules.

If I seem intent on doing things slowly ot overly cautious...it may be because I have three kids under the age of five in the house and I want to proceed with the maximum discipline and respect for the gun

Neurotic? Nah.

I live In the Woodbridge area. I'm taking the basic pistol class at shooting this week. And yes, I've read the four rules.

If I seem intent on doing things slowly ot overly cautious...it may be because I have three kids under the age of five in the house and I want to proceed with the maximum discipline and respect for the gun

Neurotic? Nah.

Oh heck, we have members in your town, and a bunch of us over the bridges close to the OBRPC (Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club)

Good to see you want to make it safe for your kids, +1 on that, just don't shelter them from the guns. I taught my daughter to never be afraid of guns, respect them, know how to handle them and until she is old enough to never touch them with out adult supervision. She has always known if she has a question, or want to see one of them to ask me and I'll gladly get them unlock them and show her what she was questioning.

She only did that once, and it was a test for me, (just like her mother I tell ya) but she wanted to see her Marlin 795, she was shooting my Marlin 39A and her 795 that day and only remembered me cleaning my 39A, she made up a reason to see her gun, just to check her to see if her dad cleaned her gun. :icon_twisted:

Depending on how much you get into guns and shooting, OBRPC is the closes place to you and a darn nice place, 24/7 indoor range, and a nice outdoor range, in addition the club has many great shooting activities that get members as well as forum members together. I don't have the best schedule, but if you want to check out the club sometime and maybe check out a few guns I can guest you in.