woodentoe

Ruger Mark III Competition Grip question.

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure of shooting a variety of .22lr pistols as part of my basic pistol course with shootnj.

A fellow student came to the class with his own Ruger Mark iii Competition pistol. I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it for a number of reasons.

1) the heft of the all steel construction was welcome when compared to the toy-like feel of the Walther P22

2) the long barrel offered a nice balance in my hand

3) I shot my nicest group of the day except for the S&W 617 22lr....my other favorite of the day :-)

I had one issue.

I'm a southpaw and the grips on the pistol forced me to shoot right handed (molded with a pronounced thumbrest). I'm right eye dominant, and have had to deal with being lefty in a righty world so I took it in stride. Still fell great and even the 2 instructors and the owner of the pistol remarked how much more comfortable I seemed with the pistol even shooting right handed (maybe a sign I should consider shooting right handed...lol)

I'm tempted to plunk some change down to pick up one of these and I see that shore shot has one for about $470.00

I'm certainly considering it, but I'm concerned about the logic behind spending $500 on a gun the I feel like I have to remove the factory luxury grips off of and replace because of being left handed.

Do you feel like this is a big deal? am I wasting money on the higher price point Mk iii just to remove the cocobolo grips from it? Can I potentially use it as a negotiating point when I purchase it? ("Hey, I'll meet your price, but I want cocobolo checkered flat grips on both sides" kind of thing)

Thanks.

KMKIII817thumbrest.jpgThey look like this...though these are custom...the contour is the same.

http://ruger.com/pro...ter/models.html

Close to the same gun without the right handed thumb rest.

True. Very similar.

I like the look of the bull barrel a bit more, and that's the one I shot so I favored it.

The Hunter has the fluted barrel and the fiber optic front sight. Other than that, they're the same....except that the one you posted has an MSRP 10 dollars more. :-)

They come with flat sided grips that could be used left or right. The bolt release and mag release are both on the left though...

So, the COmpetition model comes with flat sided grips in addition to the contoured righty grip? That's promising.

It's a Ruger 22 - it's SUPPOSED to be modified ;)

https://www.volquart...uger-mkii-mkiii

Here's a link to an aftermarket lefty grip similar in feel to the righty grip you tried.

Right. I get that.

I really enjoy the feel of the wood grip. I'd opt for a flat grip so i have the option of switching hands as I progress and get more comfortable. Thanks for the link.

So, the COmpetition model comes with flat sided grips in addition to the contoured righty grip? That's promising.

Right. I get that.

I really enjoy the feel of the wood grip. I'd opt for a flat grip so i have the option of switching hands as I progress and get more comfortable. Thanks for the link.

I'm pretty sure the Competition model comes with the right hand contoured grip, it was an initial selling point for me, along with the adjustable sights and the look of the slab side barrel. But Djg0770 it's definitely on the right track. A Ruger MKIII screams to be customized.

Check out http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378734

I added a set of Herrett's Nationals grips with the adjustable heel rest, that takes a lot of weight off your wrist for shooting round after round, especially great when shooting bullseye style one handed. Many aftermarket grips like this can be ordered for left or right hand.

Modify the trigger, the sear, whatever floats your boat, but you'll love it more when you've made it yours.

It's a Ruger 22 - it's SUPPOSED to be modified ;)

https://www.volquart...uger-mkii-mkiii

Here's a link to an aftermarket lefty grip similar in feel to the righty grip you tried.

those grips look pretty interesting.

i've had some decent luck with my mark ii and houge grips, yes - i know everybody and their mother has houge grips, but for good reason. I think they work well on the mark.

6059196902_3df6267cc8_z.jpg