GiantsFan

New from Western Monmouth County (panhandle)

Hi All,

Stumbled across this website doing some simple web searches. I'm a mid-50s casual shooter / gun owner who is overdue to refresh my skills at the range and have made a conscious decision to "get back into it." I need to update my FID card first as the post office changed my mailing address years ago and my FID was never updated to match my drivers license, which of course has been updated for years now.

I own a couple of shotguns (mostly for novelty and home protection) as well as a couple of S&W revolvers, one being a stainless steel version of the S&W 629 - DX with full lug 6" barrel in .44 magnum. (hand cannon!) which I intend to sell perhaps at consignment by one of the ranges locally. I intend to buy several semi-auto pistols for general target practice and home defense. I've got my eyes on a Walther PPQ and S&W M&P Pro model both in .40 S&W. Oh and I'm a "leftly" so I am seeking good ambidexterous guns such as these two referenced are. I had original intent to get a Glock first and had strong interest in the GEN 4 models until research revealed that aside from the spring recalls they also seem to have trigger related problems too with overly heavy and scritchy trigger pulls due to redesigned trigger components used in all now. Too bad, I really wanted at least one Glock. Maybe Glock will get that sorted out in the future though and I have heard rumors of an official trigger recall coming.

While I don't really consider myself an activist for anything, (just dont have the time) I am a strong believer in our 2nd Ammendment and hate the erosion we all have experienced living here in the State of New Jersey. I was born in NJ and will likely die here in NJ and I do support our right to own and bear arms.

Enough rambling,

Ken

Millstone Township, NJ

Welcome to the forum, and don't sell the gun through a FFL, sell it on here, probably will sell in a day or 2 if the price is right and also if the FFL you try and sell it through doesn't sell it, you have to have a Permit to Purchase (P2P) to get it back.

Thanks Harry,

I wouldn't mind selling it privately but just want to be sure it is done legally. That is the unknown part for me. Is it just a simple matter of seeing the buyers permit to purchase and completing that form upon receiving payment? Doesn't the FED need to get involved prior to purchase?

Also, any idea of where I can get an estimated valuation for the revolver? it's honestly like new as I never used it except for a few brief trips to a range. Oh and I do intend to support this website with paid membership and would have done that anyway.

Thanks Harry,

I wouldn't mind selling it privately but just want to be sure it is done legally. That is the unknown part for me. Is it just a simple matter of seeing the buyers permit to purchase and completing that form upon receiving payment?

Also, and idea of where I can get an estimated valuation for the revolver? it's honestly like new as I never used it except for a few brief trips to a range. Oh and I do intend to support this website with paid membership and would have done that anyway.

Post up a pic and ask here what it might be worth, while I might say it's junk and I'll throw ya 20 bucks to take care of your problem, others here will chime in with what the gun should really go for. Also take a look online for recent sales on sites like gunsamerica, or gun broker or the like. That will get you in the ballpark.

As far as what you need to do to sell the a NJ resident with a P2P is just make sure it's not expired, make sure the DL and P2P addresses match, and if they have a FID (P2P is all you really need but 99.999% of the time they will also have an FID), oh and to sell the gun, no you don't need an FID so while your in the process of having yours updated.

So shall we talk about that 20 bucks??? :icon_mrgreen:

So shall we talk about that 20 bucks??? :icon_mrgreen:

Well it's a starting point!! :fan:

I have to find the wooden grips it came with as I have the factory Hogues on it now and will post it up when I get a chance. Glad to hear I can sell it right away without needing to wait for my updated FID card. Oh and by the way, this was a specially sighted DX model which at that time meant it was deemed to be excellent accuracy right out of the factory. (It's either a 6" or 6-1/2" full lug barrel all stainless revolver.)

Here is one that sold on GA. S&W 629-DX

That's it. I have both sets of grips but missing all else (extra sights etc.) and I can honestly say that it has less then 100 rounds through it, all .44 specials (Range wadcutters) - not magnums. It was only range fired once or twice briefly as I spent more time firing my other revolver which was more manageable. So this 629-DX is in GREAT condition with hardly any wear whatsoever. I don't want this thread to become a "for sale" ad so lets leave it at that. I will join the forum as a supporter and list the revolver there by next weekend most likely. I had an idea of what I wanted for it and am not in a hurry to part with it.

Anyway, thanks to all for the welcome and I look forward to being a Member here.

Ken