GiantsFan

How much Ammo can you legally keep at home in NJ?

Not trying to intimidate. I am just being realistic. Just trying to save people headaches, harassment, embaressment, time, and money. LIke you said, you were treated like a criminal. And you will be treated like a criminal no matter how right you are. This is NJ, guilty until proven innocent.

And no, no one would bat an eye in Texas, VA, FL etc. But we are in a State that considers guns to be taboo.

I really have no need to walk around my property with a gun for all my neighbors to see. If I lived on a large property in a rural area with bear sightings being normal, then maybe. But no one would see me anyway.

I hope there is no need for me to do so either. But wait, there is a need to exercise my rights. I don't always carry and I may even hide it on occasion. Thing is ya never really know. I believe the old saying "Use it or lose it." Many people that should know the laws don't. How many times have I heard "Wow, aren't you afraid of getting in trouble for those hollow point bullets?" If I put it out there, I have a chance of educating someone and helping to protect our rights. People that are scared of a little hassle only hurt and diminish them.

Probably the same people that don't step up when they see a wrong being committed. Just avert your eyes and scurry along. Don't want to get involved. Heaven forbid I should attract attention to myself.

I mean these things for anyone that fits the description. You may take it personally...............or not. :icon_e_biggrin:

And Salem county DOES have local PD's :lol: . I forget who mentioned we only have State Police, but its not true.

That was me. Sorry I was being unfair I do know Salem County does have local PD I believe there are 5 of them? One being Woodstown, and I believe Carneys Point is another?

And Salem county DOES have local PD's :lol: . I forget who mentioned we only have State Police, but its not true.

That was me. Sorry I was being unfair I do know Salem County does have local PD I believe there are 5 of them? One being Woodstown, and I believe Carneys Point is another?

*Sorry for the duplicate post

Happens to me once in a while. Really weird, can't tell when its gonna happen (the double post).

Just bustin' balls. Carneys Point, Salem, Pennsville, Woodstown, Pennsgrove, Salem County Sherrif's, and SP Barracks on Rt40 near Cowtown. There are probably more but I never leave the immediate area so I wouldn't know.

Hijacking this thread...LIKE A BAWS!

When I bought my VZ24, I thought that the 180 rounds that came with it would last quite a while. Well, I went to a range in PA with my buddy (he has a PA hunting license) and I brought about 60 rounds with me. Even there, where you can only have 3 rounds in your gun at a time (which meant I had to take 2 off each stripper clip), I shot through all 60 rounds in about 20 minutes. I imagine that if I were shooting something semiauto, then it would be even quicker. So, yeah, I imagine 1,000 rounds really isn't all that much. Hell, how many rounds does the average soldier carry into combat?

Ammo is unlimited. Powder if you reload is 32 or 36 pounds as per fire regs for smokeless.

1-2000 rounds is nothing :icon_twisted:

i'm confused. so you can have a truckload of ammo, since it's a finished product but you can only have 30+ pounds of gunpowder because of fire regs? is powder really that much more of a fire hazard than ammo even though both are stored properly?

That's almost as bad as the 3oz of liquid brought on the plane rule, but you can have multiple tubes of liquids (brought by different passengers) each under 1oz and be ok.

Not trying to intimidate. I am just being realistic. Just trying to save people headaches, harassment, embaressment, time, and money. LIke you said, you were treated like a criminal. And you will be treated like a criminal no matter how right you are. This is NJ, guilty until proven innocent.

And no, no one would bat an eye in Texas, VA, FL etc. But we are in a State that considers guns to be taboo.

So who do you suggest make it NOT TABOO in NJ?? Or how??

i'm confused. so you can have a truckload of ammo, since it's a finished product but you can only have 30+ pounds of gunpowder because of fire regs? is powder really that much more of a fire hazard than ammo even though both are stored properly?

Here's an experiment for ya...

Throw a bullet in a fire. Note the reaction.

Throw a 5lb pail of smokeless in a fire. Note the reaction(well, record it, since you won't be noting anything, ever again and they can use the resulting carnage for safety videos).

• Like 2

Here's an experiment for ya...

Throw a bullet in a fire. Note the reaction.

Throw a 5lb pail of smokeless in a fire. Note the reaction(well, record it, since you won't be noting anything, ever again and they can use the resulting carnage for safety videos).

That kind of "experiment" doesn't make sense.

You should either throw ammo with 5lbs worth of powder inside or throw enough powder to fill one bullet into the fire. Apples to apples...

You should either throw ammo with 5lbs worth of powder inside or throw enough powder to fill one bullet into the fire. Apples to apples...

Do both. The ammo will pop. No big deal. It could break the skin or maybe take out an eye at worst. Protective clothing would stop it.

The powder is going to generate overpressure and a fireball.

Same difference, ammo not in a barrel of something won't really go anyplace and with no real force. Not saying to do it, but just point out the difference between the 2 would still be the same.

For starters, when it becomes legal and common place to carry a gun in NJ.

And in the mean time?? Who changes it, not like it's going to magically happen, WE, the responsible members of the firearms community as a whole are going to help make these changes.

Not saying everyone should just start open carrying on their property, but there are things we can do. You may ask what, well join and support some or all the groups that are fighting for our rights in my signature for starters.

Not saying you're not doing your part, just posting it for any who may not be aware of these groups.

• Like 2

maybe my point is not clear enough. what I'm trying to say is 30 lbs of explosive materials is 30 lbs of explosive materials. It doesn't matter how it's broken down. So, either they put a limit on the ammo or remove the 30+ lb limit.

maybe my point is not clear enough. what I'm trying to say is 30 lbs of explosive materials is 30 lbs of explosive materials. It doesn't matter how it's broken down. So, either they put a limit on the ammo or remove the 30+ lb limit.

But it does matter how it's broken down. 30 lbs of powder in brass casings with a bullet at the top is not particularly dangerous in a fire. Problematic, sure, a major hazard? No. 30lbs of powder in a single container in a fire is a big problem.

Think of it like poison. EVERYTHING is poisonous in the right dosage. You drink a glass of water every hour and you're peeing alot. You drink 5 gallons in an hour and you're going to die.

As someone in the firefighter business I would rather deal with 30lbs of powder in brass casings because they are individually contained and will go off at different times most likely as each one heats up at a different rate. 30lbs of powder in a single container will go off at the same time creating a fireball and pulling more oxygen to feed the fire even more. From the inside if you start hearing things explode you can get out and ask the homeowner what the hell do you have in your house. If your inside and you hear the sound of a freight train, a roaring sound from the sudden increase in fire, you have no idea where its coming from and hope it didn't come from beneath you and burnt up the floor supports on your escape route.

• Like 2

And in the mean time?? Who changes it, not like it's going to magically happen, WE, the responsible members of the firearms community as a whole are going to help make these changes.

Not saying everyone should just start open carrying on their property, but there are things we can do. You may ask what, well join and support some or all the groups that are fighting for our rights in my signature for starters.

Not saying you're not doing your part, just posting it for any who may not be aware of these groups.

For one thing, it would seem like an anomaly for anyone to "see" their neighbor walking around on their own property with a handgun, holstered or not. Likely that sighting could or might generate a phone call to 911 or to the Police who would probably respond. What transpires after that is anyones guess but hopefully cool heads and the law will prevail. Still, you have to admit it would be an unusual sight in our State.

But if we want to change it, we need to make it less of an anomaly and more of a regular occurance. Then it would be better accepted (like it or not to those who don't approve) and one of two things would happen. Either we would move our cause forward and make progress or god forbid legislation would soon be introduced to prevent a person from "carrying" on his own property outdoors.

A good way to start would be to raise awareness of the laws and to ban together for all legal gun owners to make a point and to carry on home property on an agreed upon specific day. (Any day is fine, just not the 4th of July for obvious reasons although a national holiday might be good.) Having the law on your side is one thing but we need to also promote acceptance and understanding too. Think about it, if we all did it on the same day of the year, it could result in "positive" news coverage. Unfortunately, all it will take is one "yahoo" to be caught by the media to counteract all the good it might have otherwise done. Still, maybe a "gun owners awareness day" or something?

So, either they put a limit on the ammo or remove the 30+ lb limit.

The NFPA won't change the regulation because 30 pounds of powder made into ammo isn't as dangerous as 30 pounds bulk, in a single container.

Like its going to matter any way. By the time they get on scene the ammo will be all cooked off, or the powder will have already blown.